New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

DigMeTX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

I've often heard it said that you can find foamcore at any big box store but I checked my local Lowe's and Home Depot and couldn't find any such thing. HD had some foam insulation board but it had big blue writing on one side and was shiny silver on the other.

I looked online but it apparently costs a buttload to buy this stuff on the internetz.

Any other ideas? Is there some other kind of substitute material I could use instead?
I'm in central Texas and I would love to have some cheap v-flats. .

brad

Mar 19, 2013 at 01:37 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

Are there any art supply houses or picture framing stores in Waco? They use the stuff all the time and could order for you.

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:06 PM
shmn
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

Try Michael's in Waco...521 N Valley Mills Dr.

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:28 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

Oh, OK. I've heard that the arts and crafts stores don't typically have it in 4x8' sheets but I'll check it out.

brad

Mar 19, 2013 at 03:03 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

Probably not in central Texas, but here are some sources:

Sources

Mar 19, 2013 at 05:29 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

Why use foamcore for 4 X 8 flats? I used 1" rigid styrofoam sheet insulation. It cost me about $8 per sheet and is much more durable than thin foam core. I taped two sheets together to make a free-standing flat and painted one side black and the other side white.

Now, I wish I could figure out how to make it much smaller for storage

<Chas>

Mar 19, 2013 at 05:58 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

cwebster wrote:
Why use foamcore for 4 X 8 flats? I used 1" rigid styrofoam sheet insulation. It cost me about $8 per sheet and is much more durable than thin foam core. I taped two sheets together to make a free-standing flat and painted one side black and the other side white.

Yeah, I looked for similar alternatives. Like I said in the OP they had sheets of styrofoam insulation board but it had big blue writing on the white side and shiny silver on the other.

This is it:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100317820?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051&N=5yc1vZbaxx&R=100317820#.UUkUcVfi7A0

It's all I saw even remotely like what I was looking for.

brad

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:44 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

I got white foam sheets at Lowe's a couple of years ago; don't know if they still have it, nor what department it was in.

Mar 19, 2013 at 09:08 PM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

If a hobby store doesnt stock an item, most times they will order it for you if you ask them to.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

Sometimes sign or display shops have fome core.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

Sometimes sign or display shops have fome core.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

cwebster wrote:
Now, I wish I could figure out how to make it much smaller for storage

Can you cut them in half length-wise and use piano hinges to put it back together? Gaffer tape the hinges in place.

Mar 20, 2013 at 08:58 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

DigMeTX wrote:
Yeah, I looked for similar alternatives. Like I said in the OP they had sheets of styrofoam insulation board but it had big blue writing on the white side and shiny silver on the other.

This is it:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100317820?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051&N=5yc1vZbaxx&R=100317820#.UUkUcVfi7A0

It's all I saw even remotely like what I was looking for.

brad

You need to check another home builders type store. This installation foam is VERY common. Are you positive HD didn't have plain white on both sides? I would be shocked if they didn't....maybe out of stock?....but that's not likely either because it comes in different thicknesses (the R values).

They also come in smaller cut sheets so this might be the issue in your area....but again, I would be surprised if they don't have the larger panels because it's often used behind 4x8 walls.

Mar 20, 2013 at 01:55 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

kenyee wrote:
Can you cut them in half length-wise and use piano hinges to put it back together? Gaffer tape the hinges in place.

Don't bother with hinges, just use duct tape (not gaffer tape, it's designed to peel off) and make fabric hinges.

I use a thin kitchen knife (boning knife I think) to cut my 1" styrofoam, but it's hard to keep straight or perpendicular to the surface. A hot wire cutter is better if you can gain access to one.

<Chas>

Mar 20, 2013 at 05:06 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

cwebster wrote:
...I use a thin kitchen knife (boning knife I think) to cut my 1" styrofoam, but it's hard to keep straight or perpendicular to the surface.

Boning and filleting knives are designed to cut tight circles around bones, etc.

For a straight line in foam, try a serrated bread knife.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

BrianO wrote:
Boning and filleting knives are designed to cut tight circles around bones, etc.

For a straight line in foam, try a serrated bread knife.

Way too much debris from a serrated knife. I started with one of those and filled the garage with tiny bits of styrofoam that stuck to everything.

The requirement for a thin blade is to do as little "damage" to the edge of the foam and to make as smooth a cut as possible.

<Chas>

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Going Baroque

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

When cutting foam core (styrofoam), I find that a new blade in a box cutter works pretty well. The first cut is not very deep; it's just to create a groove for the next pass. If you are patient, and make multiple shallow passes, the mess really isn't that bad. I only do 2 or 3 passes, and the edges are clean enough that I can cover them immediately with gaffer tape without any sort of clean up. I cover the edges with a strip of gaffer tape, then I use another strip for the hinges. The first one worked well enough that I never tried any other method.

Mar 21, 2013 at 05:20 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

Foam core is a lot thinner than 1" rigid insulation and has paper front and back. Insulation typically has a very thin plastic film that separates easily. A box cutter does not have a long enough blade. Unlike foamcore rigid insulation breaks up into small beads that quickly make a mess everywhere.

<Chas>

Mar 21, 2013 at 07:57 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

Going Baroque wrote:
When cutting foam core (styrofoam), I find that a new blade in a box cutter works pretty well. The first cut is not very deep; it's just to create a groove for the next pass. If you are patient, and make multiple shallow passes, the mess really isn't that bad. I only do 2 or 3 passes, and the edges are clean enough that I can cover them immediately with gaffer tape without any sort of clean up. I cover the edges with a strip of gaffer tape, then I use another strip for the hinges. The first one
...Show more

The trick for cutting FomeCore is to use a sharp utility knife and cut it at a slight angle, maybe 70 degrees instead of a 90 degree straight up and down. This will make a clean cut the first time and you don't need bread knives or multiple passes. Be careful, the cut edge is verry sharp, you may want to use some tape along the edge, or rub it with a piece of wood or something to dull it.

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:20 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Trouble finding foamcore for V-flats

Micky Bill wrote:
The trick for cutting FomeCore is to use a sharp utility knife and cut it at a slight angle, maybe 70 degrees instead of a 90 degree straight up and down. This will make a clean cut the first time and you don't need bread knives or multiple passes.

People are talking at crossed purposes here; some are talking about thin FomeCore art board, and some are talking about thick foam insulation sheets. My comment about using a bread knife was directed at cutting thick foam sheets. That's how we cut the stuff when I worked at Reinell Boats/Sun Yachts back in the day. (And a shop vac handles the "crumbs" quite well.)

Mar 23, 2013 at 08:50 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.