Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2013 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.
  
 
deepbluejh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


Does anyone know of a CF/SD reader that can read multiple cards at the same time, quickly? I have a Kingston USB 3.0 reader which is really fast (70+MB/s), but when you read two cards at the same time, it drops to about 15 MB/s. Most readers I have used in the past have the same type of speed drop off when reading multiple cards.

Any ideas?



Mar 19, 2013 at 03:25 PM
howardm4
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


it comes w/ 2yr technical support. I think a phone call would be in order.


Mar 19, 2013 at 04:51 PM
deepbluejh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


There is nothing wrong with my Kingston reader. The issue is that all readers I have come across cannot read two cards at the same time without a drastic slowdown. I am asking the forum if they know of any readers that can get around this limitation.


Mar 19, 2013 at 04:54 PM
shmn
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


For $25, just buy another one. Probably cheaper/easier in the long run and you will always have a back-up unit if one dies.


Mar 19, 2013 at 05:00 PM
deepbluejh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


Right now I'm working with 3 readers. The issue I'm having is that these "multi" readers typically have 4 slots for cards and when you plug them in they use up 4 drive letters. I've literally run out of drive letters before between all of the hard drives and card readers.

I'm trying to keep the number of readers I have down if possible and it would be great if a single reader could read multiple cards at the same time.



Mar 19, 2013 at 05:04 PM
howardm4
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


I wasn't actually suggesting there was a problem w/ the reader. What I was getting at was finding out
from them whether it's an issue w/ their implementation or *perhaps* a limitation of the USB3 implementation on your PC (ie. they share data channels or something which effectively forces >1 USB3 reader to split it's bandwidth.)

And you know, we're actually all here to try to *HELP* one another.

deepbluejh wrote:
There is nothing wrong with my Kingston reader. The issue is that all readers I have come across cannot read two cards at the same time without a drastic slowdown. I am asking the forum if they know of any readers that can get around this limitation.




Mar 19, 2013 at 05:19 PM
henryp
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


deepbluejh wrote:
Right now I'm working with 3 readers. The issue I'm having is that these "multi" readers typically have 4 slots for cards and when you plug them in they use up 4 drive letters. I've literally run out of drive letters before between all of the hard drives and card readers.


In my experience if I use one multi-slot reader to read two cards simultaneously each slot gets a drive letter assigned to it while in use, but not if the slot's empty. I don't believe your quest for speed and your desire to limit the number of drives are congruent.

One speedy multi-card reader or individual readers, one per card, will give you the same number of drives, won't it?

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video


Edited on Mar 19, 2013 at 05:33 PM · View previous versions



Mar 19, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Rodney O
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


OP,
Basically the readers are shoving the data for their 4 etc slots thru their same internal processor and then down the same pipe. That's your speed bottle neck.

It would seem that you might be able to "disconnect" the unwanted slots (by drive letter) on your PC in the USB handler of your OS. Do that after the reader has been recognized by the OS. Then connect the second reader. Repeat the manual disconnect ("stop") on that reader's extra slots. Then repeat etc etc until you get the number of readers you want to use. Until you hit the speed processing limit for your reader software & cpu.

Btw my cheap off brand card reader only "establishes" connection for the card that is inserted in it. Have never tried 2 cards at once in it. Had tried to find another one like it. But NewEgg has not had them for sale again.

For heavy transfers, I use my Delkin 4 CF card reader. (No longer sold apparently) It still splits the "pipe" between the cards. But it also only "makes" a connection (Drive letter) for a slot if there is a card inserted the slot.

hth




Mar 19, 2013 at 05:33 PM
henryp
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


Rodney O wrote:
Btw my cheap off brand card reader only "establishes" connection for the card that is inserted in it. Have never tried 2 cards at once in it. Had tried to find another one like it. But NewEgg has not had them for sale again.


My point, but stated more simply.

- Henry



Mar 19, 2013 at 05:34 PM
shmn
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


Ok. I see what you are getting at now.

You can try these units:

1. Delkin USB 3 Reader: http://delkin.com/i-6483222-usb-3-0-universal-memory-card-reader-udma-sdhc-sdxc-enabled.html

2. Lexar reader (probably your best bet): http://www.lexar.com/products/lexar-professional-usb-30-dual-slot-reader

Also, Delkin had a USB 2 ImageRouter which could read 4 CF cards at the same time at 27MB/s for each card but I think this is discontinued. You can ask Delkin if they plan on making a USB 3 version. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550543-REG/Delkin_Devices_DDREADER_40_KIT_US_ImageRouter_Card_Reader_Writer_.html

I guess we need to know what type of cards are you reading at the same time. All CF, all SD or combo of both?



Mar 19, 2013 at 05:36 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



deepbluejh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


Thanks guys. The lexar reader looks to be the best option so far. I might have to go for it.


Mar 19, 2013 at 07:02 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


each time to add an item to the USB pipeline and if its in use it will reduce its throughput. the pipes just so big and the data eats up the bandwidth as needed. if you hub them it will do the same. it still comes done to the one line/port you are pumping into and then your computers USB portion of the chipset to control the whole mess. the same in the end with add-on cards

Edited on Mar 20, 2013 at 01:37 PM · View previous versions



Mar 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Sven Jeppesen
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


henryp wrote:
In my experience if I use one multi-slot reader to read two cards simultaneously each slot gets a drive letter assigned to it while in use, but not if the slot's empty. I don't believe your quest for speed and your desire to limit the number of drives are congruent.

One speedy multi-card reader or individual readers, one per card, will give you the same number of drives, won't it?

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video


+1

yes you are right Henry



Mar 20, 2013 at 01:12 PM
Sunny Sra
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


henryp wrote:
In my experience if I use one multi-slot reader to read two cards simultaneously each slot gets a drive letter assigned to it while in use, but not if the slot's empty. I don't believe your quest for speed and your desire to limit the number of drives are congruent.

One speedy multi-card reader or individual readers, one per card, will give you the same number of drives, won't it?

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video


Actually no, if you don't assign a drive letter then it only shows up for the slot you insert the card in, however if you are already using that drive letter e.g H:, like i do since my Home drive is H and i have some other network locations mapped to my NAS for music/movies etc that may conflict with the drive letter the media reader wants to use.
I had to assign the drive letters to the card reader as it wanted to use some of the same drive letters that i had assigned to my home drive (H: or G so forth), so on my computer all 6-8 drive letters for the media reader show up in my windows explorer.



Mar 20, 2013 at 02:34 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


Sunny Sra wrote:
Actually no, if you don't assign a drive letter then it only shows up for the slot you insert the card in, however if you are already using that drive letter e.g H:, like i do since my Home drive is H and i have some other network locations mapped to my NAS for music/movies etc that may conflict with the drive letter the media reader wants to use.
I had to assign the drive letters to the card reader as it wanted to use some of the same drive letters that i had assigned to my home drive (H:
...Show more

that is dependent on the setup of the reader internally and if they are in the database. in win 7 two out of my 3 readers set themselves up with letters everytime.



Mar 20, 2013 at 04:11 PM
deepbluejh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


Whenever I plug a multi-card reader into my computer, it automatically takes up 4 drive letters, regardless of whether there are any cards it in at the time.

All I really need is SD and CF reading. I looked hard at the Lexar reader, but it turns out that reader is pretty slow with Sandisk cards, so I went with another Kingston multi-reader.



Mar 21, 2013 at 05:15 PM
Sunny Sra
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


The sandisk USB 3 reader is pretty fast.


Mar 21, 2013 at 05:27 PM
Michael White
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


Several years ago, I don't remember what year, Lexar produced a USB hub for there pro USB readers it would allow up to four readers it only worked with their USB readers you stacked them on top and they locked together. Worked great until the hub and two of the readers died, I've had several of the Lexar readers die on me so I switched to Hoodman's usb3 reader and the two exar that haven't died.


Mar 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


deepbluejh wrote:
Does anyone know of a CF/SD reader that can read multiple cards at the same time, quickly? I have a Kingston USB 3.0 reader which is really fast (70+MB/s), but when you read two cards at the same time, it drops to about 15 MB/s. Most readers I have used in the past have the same type of speed drop off when reading multiple cards.

Any ideas?


Are you using two different targets? Copying data from two sources to one target can also cause performance degradation depending on the how the OS handles the requests.

EBH



Mar 22, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Sunny Sra
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Reading multiple cards at the same time.


Michael White wrote:
Several years ago, I don't remember what year, Lexar produced a USB hub for there pro USB readers it would allow up to four readers it only worked with their USB readers you stacked them on top and they locked together. Worked great until the hub and two of the readers died, I've had several of the Lexar readers die on me so I switched to Hoodman's usb3 reader and the two exar that haven't died.



http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Professional-CompactFlash-ActiveMemory-technologies/dp/B001E29SXI



Mar 22, 2013 at 12:50 AM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password