FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · D800 DX mode vs. D7100

dwswager

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · D800 DX mode vs. D7100

JRT64 wrote:
This is not at all surprising. You are cropping a 24MP image to 10MP, and comparing to 16MP. A much better test would be to resample the D600 images to 16MP. Then you will find the D600 results to be superior.

Depends. If the crop of the 24MP FX images is necessary to get the required and same angle of view (and assuming you can't get that angle of view by moving closer or with more focal length) then the crop and upsample would be the best comparison to the DX.

With respect to DX/FX the trade off is pixels on subject verus pixel quality. There is no correct answer for everyone in every situation. And the skill involved capturing and processing the image will usually mask the difference.

I had also been looking at the D800 and D7100 as replacements for my D300s.

BTW, those holding their breath for the D400 DX camera can now breathe easy as I just ordered a D7100. I'm sure now that I've jumped, it is just around the corner. I waited 4 years for the AF-S 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR II update and upgraded the old AF-D 80-200mm f/2.8 to the AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII w/ TC-14EIII just 4 months before Nikon announced it!

May 05, 2013 at 07:32 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.