Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · A selfie for C&C

HawksFan66
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · A selfie for C&C

Created this Sunday morning while working on flash technique. Wish I had noticed the bunched-up sweater prior.

Let me know what you think.

HawksFan66 2012

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · A selfie for C&C

I'm going to concentrate on the lighting since that seems to be what you were working on and I think the basic set-up/composition are fine anyway.

The image is significantly underexposed. Take a look at the histogram and you will see the right fourth has almost no tonal values. This is contributing to a bit of an over-saturated look to the face and drops the contrast/sculpting of the face.

The light is very even, possibly due to a large diffuser or just to strong fill on the left. On the good side, this gives the portrait a very natural, "by the window" type of look. On the bad side, it robs the face of much of its dimensionality. Note how your chin has almost disappeared. I would suggest moving the main higher and reducing the strength of the fill.

You are very close to the wall. There may have been space constraints but getting you farther from the wall would reduce how the detail of the wood competes with you and it would also make it easier to control the flash fall-off onto the background. You aren't getting obvious shine/reflection in the wood but it's starting to head that way on the right.

The broad wrinkles in the sweater would not have bothered me very much. What I think is more important is how the light sweater competes with your face in terms of brightness. Brightening you face should help. Flagging off the main some how so it feathers off the sweater probably would have helped, too.

Some folks don't care for multiple catchlights but here I think they help give the portrait a more natural appearance. The catchlights on the right do make me wonder how you were set up on the right with your lights, though. Looks like a main slightly higher than the face and a reflector below it? That might be what is eliminating some of the modeling of the face.

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:33 PM
HawksFan66
• •
p.1 #3 · A selfie for C&C

Eyeball, thank you so for the insight. You've given me a lot to think about and work on in the future.

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:52 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · A selfie for C&C

Excellent critique by Eyeball.

Mar 21, 2013 at 07:06 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password