Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2013 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

I check Amazon all the time. And I prefer Amazon. They have a lower price where I live

Apr 12, 2013 at 01:40 PM
tsproul1

p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

CoastandCactus wrote:
2. Amazon: After years of happily paying no sales tax and getting speedy free shipping at Amazon, my ordering of costly items sold by Amazon has come to a screeching halt. Texas residents now must pay sales tax on items sold by Amazon

I would think Texas has the same arrangement as California regarding sales tax and online purchases.

In California, you are supposed to pay tax on all online purchases. If the tax is not collected at the point of sale, you are required to declare it and pay the tax when you file your income tax. This is why Amazon came to an agreement with many states to start collecting sales tax at the point of sale. They started this in Cali too.

Publicly stating that you don't pay your taxes is generally not a good idea.

Apr 12, 2013 at 08:17 PM
jaybrams
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

I have been a customer of all three, along with Hunt's and have been happily served by all three. I do most of my shopping at B&H, and realize that "free" shipping means there will be a small delay. If I order on a Monday a.m. I can count on receiving my product by Friday at the latest with free shipping. Since I work all week and rarely shoot mid-week, this suits me fine. Returns are handled as best as I could expect. I ordered an item just before Passover this year and needed to return it. I waited until they re-opened and, despite the overwhelming return pile they must have faced, received a credit within two days.

I hate returning items to any of these stores because I know its costly to them to re-stock. However, lacking a local store, I have no other way to examine the differences between Domke bags than to guess as to which one I want and wait to see if its right when it arrives. That being said, I will always support a local store (30 mi. away) if possible first, and their prices are within reason. I will NEVER go there and use them as a showroom.

B&H and Adorama have wonderful showrooms when you're in NYC, and I rather support a photographic specialty store than a general, non-bricks and mortar store like Amazon. It costs money to maintain a store and employees in NYC and I appreciate that. While competitive prices are important to me like everyone else, so is support for real photo retailers - not just a general merchandiser. At least when I call with a question (or visit NYC now and then), I know someone knowledgable about photography will be there to help me.

Apr 13, 2013 at 01:06 AM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

I order almost exclusively through Amazon. With Primie it's so nice to have it in two days with free shipping, or $4 to have it the next day. They also have the best customer service I've ever dealt with. Once they sent me the wrong ball head by mistake, without even returning it they just refunded me my money so I could repurchase the ball head. The biggest incident was when I bought a 5DMII last October, well I it had a few buggy issues and at by January I decided I'd rather have the 6D anyway. I explained my situation to Amazon, they took the camera back with a full refund and I was able to buy the 6D. That was almost 4 months after I bought the 5D.

BH I had the exact opposite experience. My dad bought a Variable ND filter from BH, then it sat in the box unopened for a month before he gave it to me because he realized he has no idea what a Variable ND filter does (this is pretty much my life haha). Well I opened up the box to find the filter had a massive crack in it. My dad hadn't touched the box since it came in the mail so I know it wasn't him. I emailed BH about it and they pretty much told me tough luck because it was after the return dates. They gave me the email of the manufacturer, who didn't even reply to my email for 2 months and also told me tough luck.

Apr 14, 2013 at 08:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

firstgear99
• •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

I get my stuff from B&H, they give free shipping with everything I have bought.......I am pleased and get delivery in 2 to 3 days.

Apr 15, 2013 at 01:17 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

Amazon.uk have free shipping to Sweden. That saves a lot of Money.

Apr 15, 2013 at 05:13 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

Just want to give a big thumbs up to Adorama and especially Helen. She helped me retrieve an old trade-in credit from nearly eight years ago that several other reps were unable to do, and she helped to get me a great deal on a new Canon 1DX! She managed to get all of that done in a day! Thank you, Helen!

Apr 15, 2013 at 07:38 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

mitesh wrote:
Just want to give a big thumbs up to Adorama and especially Helen. She helped me retrieve an old trade-in credit from nearly eight years ago that several other reps were unable to do, and she helped to get me a great deal on a new Canon 1DX! She managed to get all of that done in a day! Thank you, Helen!

Always happy to help!

Apr 15, 2013 at 09:35 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password