Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

Michael White
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

Well when I remember I usually price check between these three before buying photo gear. Last night I decided to buy three items that I've a need for. A Pocket Wizard motor drive cable, the ACC type, for the higher end canons. A Sekonic Pocket Wizard CTL module and a Manforoto Electronic Shutter Release kit. It was about the same price from both B&H and Adarama while almost $50 cheaper buying from Amazon and I got free shipping.

Do you ever check Amazon before buying?

Mar 19, 2013 at 07:21 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

Yep, all the time. Also keep in mind, Adorama and i think B&H also sell via Amazon.

Mar 19, 2013 at 07:24 AM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

They do but in this case it listed amazon as the seller.

Mar 19, 2013 at 07:27 AM
justruss
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

Sorry, I'm not getting this thread... What's the point?

That Amazon exists? Said in a light, joking tone: 1995 wants its astonishment back!

That some retailers have cheaper prices on some items than others? Eh...

That there are more choices than just B&H and Adorama? Uh...

Apologies for having a little fun at your expense, OP. Just giving you a bit of a hard time.

Yeah, I check all sorts of retailers for buying gear. I also check used outlets like Craigslist (or did before I moved to Germany), HERE, and eBay. I check local places.

The whole concept of operating efficiently in a free market only works if you have information. If you're content to pay whatever price one of two places offers-- cool. But otherwise you have to do at least some comparison shopping beyond two stores within the same dozen blocks of one another in Manhattan.

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:11 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/63Izf

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:13 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

I buy a lot from Amazon.de and Amazon.uk

Mar 19, 2013 at 09:03 AM
Waki
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

I'm a fairly regular Amazon customer but I have found things cheaper at Adorama and B&H as well. It just depends and I think some luck plays into it since Amazon does run deals on items seemingly at random. I've put something in my wish list one day to find it 20% to 25% higher the next day.
Adorama does price matching, I'm not sure about B&H. Yeah, you have to get on the phone but they do match prices.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

My last 4 major purchases have been through Amazon... They seem to have it, or can get it more than the others. An Yes I check them all (including Dell, eBay, etc.)

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:06 AM
robert61
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

You have to check. Sometimes Amazon is cheaper, sometimes others like B&H are cheaper. Both offer great service, so if you're price shopping, check 'em all before ordering.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

80% of my business is with amazon...

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DGC1
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

Amazon = free shipping, less hassle with returns and often I receive items in much shorter than the avertised delivery time. You might also add Outdoor Photo Gear to your list of sellers. No connection to them, just great people with fantastic service.

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:46 PM
diverhank
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

Lately, Amazon prices on camera & related equipment seem to be about the same as B&H . It's better imho to buy from B&H as one gets 2% back & they will refund you easily if price is reduced, even months after you bought from them. I recently bought a 24-70 II from B&H - price was same from B&H and Amazon @ $2100. Shortly after, B&H reduced the price to $2000 and after a quick phone call from me, I got a $100 refund...Another FM member got $200 back as he bought same a couple of months before me @ $2200. Not sure if Amazon would do the same.

If Amazon price is cheaper I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Amazon, however.

Mar 19, 2013 at 03:17 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

DGC1 wrote:
Amazon = free shipping, less hassle with returns and often I receive items in much shorter than the avertised delivery time. You might also add Outdoor Photo Gear to your list of sellers. No connection to them, just great people with fantastic service.

+1

Yes the free shipping and no hassle with returns makes Amazon great. I even have free shipping from Amazon UK to Sweden.

Mar 19, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

i use a toolbar that tells me if the item is the cheapest priced on the website i'm on at that moment or not.

Mar 19, 2013 at 04:07 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

Lars Johnsson wrote:
+1

Yes the free shipping and no hassle with returns makes Amazon great. I even have free shipping from Amazon UK to Sweden.

I actually get free shipping from Amazon UK to Los Angeles too...and ...some stuff is just cheaper on Amazon UK than it is on Amazon.com

Mar 19, 2013 at 04:08 PM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

B&H does not sell via Amazon. We will entertain any price-match question you want to ask about before you order. We say, "Yes," as often as we can and regret when we are unable to do so. Having shopped on Amazon more than once my only caveat as far as this thread goes is that buying from Amazon and buying from one of their 'retail partners' is not always the same experience. You have to pay attention.

Finally, I doubt you can use LiveChat there to speak with a pro who brings decades of experience and daily product training sessions to the conversation, and I don't recall ever seeing anyone from Amazon participating in any thread here. YMMV.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

PS B&H supports this site which is a B&H affiliate. Use the link above.

Mar 19, 2013 at 05:21 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

I buy stuff from all three. I find Amazon is especially useful when I want an order of cheap, miscellaneous accessories --- toss together a handful of lenscaps and filter adapters with some kitchen utensil to make a $25.03 free-shipping order. Often, though, for bigger-ticket items, Adorama and B&H also offer free shipping and the lowest prices on the 'net --- and stock more esoteric, photography-specific thingamabobs not available on Amazon. So yes, I do check Amazon (and other retailers) before buying, but quite often end up at B&H or Adorama after all.

Mar 19, 2013 at 07:55 PM
huddy
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

I check all three and buy from each, although I rarely purchase from amazon anymore for big ticket items due to state sales tax...

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:08 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

Michael White wrote:
Well when I remember I usually price check between these three before buying photo gear. Last night I decided to buy three items that I've a need for. A Pocket Wizard motor drive cable, the ACC type, for the higher end canons. A Sekonic Pocket Wizard CTL module and a Manforoto Electronic Shutter Release kit. It was about the same price from both B&H and Adarama while almost $50 cheaper buying from Amazon and I got free shipping.

Do you ever check Amazon before buying?

Always - and most of the time I buy from Amazon due to the Prime program. 2 Day delivery unlimited for (I think) $70 a year. They have no questions returns, which I have rarely used. Also, they come down on the side of the buyer as long as you follow their rules.

I've never lost a red cent buying from them.

And, they will ship to you while on the road which B&H won't do.

Edited on Mar 19, 2013 at 08:18 PM · View previous versions

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:13 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Amazon vs BH Photo vs Adorama

I will shop with any one of the three. I prefer amazon as I am prime ember and get 2 days shipping free.

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:15 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password