New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

ozmoses
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

I've had to 5D MK2 bodies since 2009 and love these cameras. I shoot predominantly weddings and fine art photography (mostly architectural). I'm contemplating selling one of the bodies to upgrade to a 6D or 5D MK3. I certainly like the additional bursts offered as well as improved noise reduction, focus points, etc.

Here's my question, given how much more the MK3 costs vs. the 6D, what would be the better bang for my buck?
I anticipate that I can get around $1500 for my one 5D MK2 body with other accessories included.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

In terms of pure value the 6D offers by far the most bang-for-the-buck.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:40 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

I went for the 5DIII as I saw it as a better upgrade from the 5DII. The better AF, FPS etc really sold it for me. You have to ask yourself about the whole package. If you don't have all the lenses you need, staying with the 5DII is a great option. I would rather have a 5DII with the right glass than a 6D or 5DII with not enough lenses.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

i would belive that for fine art photography (mostly architectural) the 6D will be as good as the 5D3. But for weddings the 5D3 must be a lot better with it's new AF

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:55 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

ozmoses wrote:
I've had to 5D MK2 bodies since 2009 and love these cameras. I shoot predominantly weddings and fine art photography (mostly architectural). I'm contemplating selling one of the bodies to upgrade to a 6D or 5D MK3. I certainly like the additional bursts offered as well as improved noise reduction, focus points, etc.

Here's my question, given how much more the MK3 costs vs. the 6D, what would be the better bang for my buck?
I anticipate that I can get around $1500 for my one 5D MK2 body with other accessories included.

Thanks for your thoughts.

6D for arch (touch better low ISO shadows)
5D3 for weddings (better video if you ever add that, silent shutter mode, more fps, better outer AF points, maybe more precise center point for low DOF shots, faster shutter reaction)

Does the 6D do that much better than the 5D2?

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:07 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

I'm not convinced that the 6D is a significant improvement on the 5D2, especially if you're shooting RAW. LR4 does a great job of noise reduction at high iso.

5D3 is a decent upgrade for weddings if you need better AF and more FPS, otherwise stick with 5D2 and put the money into glass

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

scottam10 wrote:
I'm not convinced that the 6D is a significant improvement on the 5D2, especially if you're shooting RAW. LR4 does a great job of noise reduction at high iso.

5D3 is a decent upgrade for weddings if you need better AF and more FPS, otherwise stick with 5D2 and put the money into glass

I have a 6D, I had a 5D2, and I only shoot RAW.

If the OP is comfortable shooting a 5D2, the 6D will be an easy fit, offering significant improvements over the 5D2 in several areas.

Quieter shutter, better low light images, a big boost in ISO range, superior center point AF, and I have less of an inclination to chimp images and ETTR.

If the OP is looking for better AF performance, the 5D3 is a no-brainer as a replacement.

It's what I would have bought if I didn't already also have a 1Ds2 and a 1D3.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

For me it would be keep your 5D II and get better glass or move to the 5D III for the amazing AF. Being able to use spot AF with very fast glass shot wide open, and having outer AF points that are also excellent should be worth the world to a wedding photographer.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:41 AM
cbreiland
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

Is the flash sync of 1/180 a big deal in practice for those who shoot a lot of flash?

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

Used a 6d for a month, have a 5d2, plenty experience with a 5d3.

IMO the 5d2 is the poorer camera out of the 3. Unless you need the 1/200synch over 1/180 or 1/8000th vs the 6d.

5D3 is the best all rounder , af and dual memory cards, build and ergonomics make it the pro tool.

I personally would have a hard time justifying the extra money for the 5d3 over the 6d given it could be better used on glass.

Mar 19, 2013 at 01:11 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

Pixel Perfect wrote:
For me it would be keep your 5D II and get better glass or move to the 5D III for the amazing AF. Being able to use spot AF with very fast glass shot wide open, and having outer AF points that are also excellent should be worth the world to a wedding photographer.

+1

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:43 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

I shoot weddings with the 5d3 and 5d2 before it. It's an incredible upgrade. Totally worth the money.

Here's my review:
http://www.phildweddingphotography.co.uk/2012/05/canon-5diii-for-weddings/

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:56 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

A bit OT: But I can't help wondering why some people put stars, specially multiple stars, in their thread titles.

Is it to draw attention? Should it be interpreted as meaning your thread is more important than all the others? I definitely don't like it.

To the OP's question: It depends on your budget and needs. The 5d3 would be a great wedding upgrade. If you can wait, though, I'd wait and save up for a more substantial IQ/Resolution upgrade in the range of 30+ MP; if you can't and have plenty of cash to spend, get yourself an 800E for the fine art.

Mar 19, 2013 at 03:04 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

The 5D3 AF module is really really good. I regret selling it and will probably buy it again...

Mar 19, 2013 at 03:46 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

justruss wrote:
The 5d3 would be a great wedding upgrade. If you can wait, though, I'd wait and save up for a more substantial IQ/Resolution upgrade in the range of 30+ MP; if you can't and have plenty of cash to spend, get yourself an 800E for the fine art.

I think that's the problem to some extent... what you need for weddings is really not what you need for fine art. I really wouldn't want 30+mp for my wedding camera as it'll just eat up disk and card space

If I was doing both and making money from both, I'd do everything I could to have two cameras - although I'd really prefer to have the same camera system (ie. canon and not canon and nikon) because it's expensive to own two systems..

Mar 19, 2013 at 05:18 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

Biggest upgrade of the MkIII is its AF system - this camera is predominantly made for wedding, events, and sports shooters. In case you do any of this kind of photography, the 5D III seems ideal. Big plus of the 5D III in my opinion is its 100% viewfinder.

Just for architecture, the 5D II is still fully sufficient. The MkII's main drawback is its fairly outdated AF system which still comes from the 5D classic body. I am okay with it, mostly use center focus with AF, but I don't need the better AF as a priority for my kind of shooting. I would rather have a camera with higher resolution, but this is currently not available in Canon land.

The 6D is maybe the best what Canon can currently offer in regard to the FF sensor itself. It seems even a bit better than the sensor of its bigger brother, the 5D III. It has GPS and WiFi if this is of any importance, otherwise it has a reduced functionality compared to the 5D III.

Edited on Mar 19, 2013 at 08:20 AM · View previous versions

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:16 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

justruss wrote:
To the OP's question: It depends on your budget and needs. The 5d3 would be a great wedding upgrade. If you can wait, though, I'd wait and save up for a more substantial IQ/Resolution upgrade in the range of 30+ MP; if you can't and have plenty of cash to spend, get yourself an 800E for the fine art.

+1

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:18 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

If you shoot well lit, static, center focus point subjects, there probably isn't a huge difference in low ISO files between the 3 bodies. The further you deviate from those parameters, the more the 5D3 shines. When you figure in that you can get a refurb 5d3 for $2379 it's a no brainer.

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:26 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

The controls on the 5d3 and 5d2 are quite a bit different. I found it cumbersome to use these two bodies at the same time.

Mar 19, 2013 at 08:57 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · **5D MK2 vs. 6D vs. 5D MK3??***

Since I need pc sync ports for off-camera lighting, the 6d has never been a viable option for me. I can live with most of the other limitations, but not that one.

Mar 19, 2013 at 09:46 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.