Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Which CF card reader....

Daboyle
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Which CF card reader....

for those with firewire readers, try downloading unibrain fw drivers before going USB 3.0. They drastically improve speed- I am able to DL with a sandisk fw800 reader at 65-90 mbs regularly, which is above spec. My usb 3.0 lexar reader is about the same speed

http://www.unibrain.com/products/driverapi/ubcore.htm

Edited on Mar 28, 2013 at 04:48 PM · View previous versions

Mar 28, 2013 at 07:50 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Which CF card reader....

I stayed away from firewire because the readers are a lot more expensive than USB 3.0 readers, and for no real increase in speed. I'm already fully saturating the read speed of my cards with USB 3.0 - and this is with a $24 reader.

Mar 28, 2013 at 01:15 PM
Mykal
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Which CF card reader....

Waiting for a thunderbolt reader.

Mar 28, 2013 at 02:24 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Which CF card reader....

Mykal - why? USB 3.0 exceeds the speed rates of any card out there, and the chips and cables for thunderbolt are still very expensive. I dont see any benefit at all that TB would have over USB3 in this situation.

Mar 28, 2013 at 04:51 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Which CF card reader....

Daboyle it's very simple. I edit on an iMac which has two thunderbolt ports and a USB 2 ports. There is no USB 3 port.

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:26 AM
mci2727
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Which CF card reader....

Bartlett Pair wrote:
Does anyone know if that kingston one has UDMA7 support? Looks solid otherwise, may pick it up.

Nope, per the linked site it says UDMA 0-6

Mar 29, 2013 at 06:32 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Which CF card reader....

fotojennik wrote:
I just recently got the Kingston USB 3.0 reader to go with the new PC I built (previous computer only had USB2)...and wow, what an upgrade! Dumped two full 8gig cards extremely fast.

Hard for me to understand the excitement over USB 3 vs USB 2 when the time it takes to capture is insignificant compared to the how much time it takes to edit. The "time saved" with a faster capture is like 1/10 of 1% of the total project time.

Mar 29, 2013 at 08:16 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Which CF card reader....

So I'm reviving this thread since I was looking to increase import/ingest performance since I've noticed that the bottleneck to editing lies in that region. If you have to wait to see your files, it's going to slow down editing. I'm half cursing my 5DIIIs since they only support 1 UDMA7 CF and crummy non UHS1 SD card slot. Seriously Canon, WTF? So I'm currently using UDMA7 CF cards with a crummy class10 SD for "backup". I hate switching cards now so I'm thinking about just getting a much larger CF card (128GB or 256GB) so I can just have the one card in my camera with a second one for backup in case the main dies. I'm currently using the Lexar USB3 dual card reader since its the fastest one that supports UDMA7. I took a look at the Sonnet quad CF Thunderbolt reader but for the price, size, and usability, I might as well just stick with the Lexar and call it a day. I can attach 4 of the Lexars if I need to ingest up to 4 cards simultaneously anyways. Currently speeds are about 90MBps with about 120MBps burst for systems using SSDs. If you have a Mac that's older than 2011, these speeds won't mean anything since the speeds on those are pretty low even if you were using SSDs. Just thought I would share some of my research with FM peeps.

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:29 PM
julieawhitlock
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Which CF card reader....

I wanted the faster card dump because I always back up right after a wedding and I want to go to bed as soon as possible haha

Jun 17, 2013 at 02:41 AM
swoop
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Which CF card reader....

I use a Lexar express card reader.

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sboerup
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Which CF card reader....

I highly highly doubt a thunderbolt only reader will be coming soon, it just doesn't make sense to make an expensive peripheral that cannot even come close to utilizing the technology. Unless someone makes a thunderbolt dock that has a card-reader built in (most likely SD), then I don't see it happening. Considering that USB3 readers are less than $50, I don't see any manufacturer jumping on board to make one for thunderbolt.

Jun 17, 2013 at 02:32 PM
pette87
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Which CF card reader....

i use this topic.
i have an imac and i suppose it olny have usb2.
i have cf and sd as well (sd are sandisk extreme with 45/mb claimed).
what reader could be better for my needs?
thanks

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:07 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Which CF card reader....

I read somewhere that the cards (not sure about UDMA 7)today still can't fill USB2.0's transfer rate bandwidth. Can anyone shed some light in this?

FWIW, I replaced my old crappy Apacer unit which has been acting up to the Verbatim Card Reader.
Have since saw a significant increase in transfer speeds again. Dumped the entire 8gb photos in no time at all. Also I really like the built in microSD card slot. No need to use an adapter.

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:29 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Which CF card reader....

sboerup wrote:
I highly highly doubt a thunderbolt only reader will be coming soon, it just doesn't make sense to make an expensive peripheral that cannot even come close to utilizing the technology. Unless someone makes a thunderbolt dock that has a card-reader built in (most likely SD), then I don't see it happening. Considering that USB3 readers are less than $50, I don't see any manufacturer jumping on board to make one for thunderbolt.

Yup. A dock to USB3 is your best option if your machine has TB but not USB3. Makes for an expensive card reader though, hopefully other aspects of the dock are appealing.

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U055
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echo15thunderboltdock.html

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:33 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Which CF card reader....

UDMA7 has a 150MBps ceiling. Realistically, the fastest card on the market right now does about 90MBps with 120MBps burst rate (That's the Lexar 1000x UDMA7 CF card BTW). The only company with a Thunderbolt reader from what I've seen is Sonnet and it takes 4 CF cards. USB3.0 is cheaper and more effective for right now. USB2.0 has a maximum throughput of 480Mbps which is about 60MBps. USB2.0 will most likely go about 45MBps on par or so when transferring. That's about half of the real world 90MBps from UDMA7 cards. So yes, you'll saturate USB2.0 quite easily if you're using a USB3.0 CF card reader with a UDMA7 card. Speed of dumping cards also depends on what application you're using to dump/ingest/import as well as the speed of your internal drive. If you're using a Mac, I suggest you download Blackmagic speed test to see what your internal drive speed is compared to the cards you're trying to dump.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:44 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Which CF card reader....

I put a SATA connected card reader in my desktop and it downloaded my 90mbs rated Sandisk CF cards at a sustained 103-106mbs. I've tried several usb3 readers and none of them have topped about 80mbs (maybe lower?) with the same cards. Still, that's good enough for me.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Which CF card reader....

julieawhitlock wrote:
I wanted the faster card dump because I always back up right after a wedding and I want to go to bed as soon as possible haha

Makes sense. (Ran across this thread as I'm looking for a 3.0 SD card reader.)

Jul 15, 2013 at 01:05 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Which CF card reader....

I would rather let my dog transfer my files then use a Lexar product. http://www.verbatim.com/prod/accessories/card-readers/usb-3.0-universal-card-reader-sku-97706/for me

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Which CF card reader....

That Transcend reader for fifteen bucks is looking pretty good.

Jul 15, 2013 at 08:09 PM
XPO239
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Which CF card reader....

So what is the best card reader everyone is using nowadays? I'm still using my Lexar FW800, but my mbp doesn't have firewire and some of my camera now use SD cards. Is there a thunderbolt card reader out yet?

Jan 05, 2014 at 09:45 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password