Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 'best' point & shoot for pro's

eco_bach

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 'best' point & shoot for pro's

Primarily a DSLR shooter, 5D2, 1Dx etc but need to replace my 10 year old Fuji finepix with a point and shoot.

Looking for something that might actually be useful as a tool for location scouting, choosing framing, exposure and lenses for my DSLR work, little or no shutter lag. I also do a lot of DSLR based video.

So far narrowed choice down to the Lumix DX7
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880960-REG/Panasonic_dmc_lx7k_Lumix_LX7_Digital_Camera.html

Any other recommendations?

Mar 18, 2013 at 09:00 PM
acktdi

p.1 #2 · 'best' point & shoot for pro's

Sony Rx100, there's no other point and shoot that can beat its sensor size.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM
ventieldopje

p.1 #3 · 'best' point & shoot for pro's

Not sure why image quality would matter, considering that basically every point and shoot for a couple of hundred bucks can shoot proper photo's for location scouting and framing. You're not going to shoot the actual photo right? A little imagination, a pen and a piece of paper should do the trick.

More importantly I'd look for a camera with built-in GPS support!

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:11 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 'best' point & shoot for pro's

+1 @ shutter lag is annoying ... curious to hear recommendations for something responsive.

Mar 19, 2013 at 01:16 AM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #5 · 'best' point & shoot for pro's

+1 for RX100. Excellent IQ in a very small package and it is a responsive camera. Very hard to beat, but other options to consider could include Fuji X20, Panasonic LX7, Olympus XZ-2, Samsung EX2. Of course all of these suggestions assume that the aim is to get highest possible IQ in a compact camera. If you just needs something to take quick snaps in non-challenging conditions then there might be many other cheaper options.

Mar 19, 2013 at 01:31 AM
ventureonphoto

p.1 #6 · 'best' point & shoot for pro's

anything with a hotshoe

Mar 20, 2013 at 02:52 AM
thedruid
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · 'best' point & shoot for pro's

I bought the LX-7 for my wife for Xmas it's really nice in good light surprising really, but I would never use it for my work. The RX100 I have no experience with and but the lack of a OVF option I cannot get by.

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pisq

p.1 #8 · 'best' point & shoot for pro's

the Ricoh GRD II, III, IV, I have the II and it has excellent IQ, manual focus and excellent portability and discrete factor,

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:02 PM
markd61
• •
p.1 #9 · 'best' point & shoot for pro's

I would choose a refurbished Olympus E-PL2 or 3. Small. snappy performance good IQ and with the standard zoom can give good framing examples for most shooting situations.

In addition, you can also get other lenses. All of this for less than $300.
An EVF is available for a few extra $ for a huge advantage in outdoor shooting.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:14 AM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #10 · 'best' point & shoot for pro's

markd61 wrote:
I would choose a refurbished Olympus E-PL2 or 3. Small. snappy performance good IQ and with the standard zoom can give good framing examples for most shooting situations.

My opinion is that there is no point to using the E-PL2/E-PL3+kit lens combo over something like RX100. I had the Panasonic G1 for a quite while which had the same sensor as the one in E-PL2/E-PL3 and I can tell you that RX100 sensor is very close to it and in fact RX100 is better in terms of DR. And RX100 has a much faster f1.8 lens compared to the f3.5 kit zoom. Now if you talk about say E-PL5 + 17mm 1.8 combo then we are in business.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:30 AM
markd61
• •
p.1 #11 · 'best' point & shoot for pro's

curious80 wrote:
My opinion is that there is no point to using the E-PL2/E-PL3+kit lens combo over something like RX100. I had the Panasonic G1 for a quite while which had the same sensor as the one in E-PL2/E-PL3 and I can tell you that RX100 sensor is very close to it and in fact RX100 is better in terms of DR. And RX100 has a much faster f1.8 lens compared to the f3.5 kit zoom. Now if you talk about say E-PL5 + 17mm 1.8 combo then we are in business.

The issue for me is not ultimate IQ (these are scouting pictures after all) but usability and responsiveness. I agree the RX100 might have better DR (although DPReview's tests say it falls short at high ISO) but I am not convinced that it will equal the responsiveness shot to shot of the Oly. Also I like the idea of a cheaper camera for a walkabout/scouting camera. The sweep panorama feature is useful but still is not a deciding feature.

Mar 25, 2013 at 05:06 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #12 · 'best' point & shoot for pro's

Why not try that new mini-me Rebel SL1. You can even make use of your EF lenses.

Geeky but awesome - Sony RX100.
Stylish and cool - Fuji x10/20 or an olympus em 5

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:40 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #13 · 'best' point & shoot for pro's

Lumix GX1 does the job perfectly for me. 14mm pancake lens fitted and it fits in a pocket

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:56 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password