Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · what shoud i do?

pette87
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · what shoud i do?

Hi everyone.
I'm a 25 yrs old "amateur" photographer based in Italy.
I really love photography and I think I could try to make that my first job.
My parents are supporting me also in an economical way (they bought me the imac 27 for my post prod. flow), but I really want to do by myself.
I don't have a day job so I pay my needs with some works such as photo in some nights club, shooting as a second in weddings, some events etc.
I want to overcome the "amateur" image that I might give to people.
I really like wedding and I think I can handle some gigs of that. I made 3 wedding by my own and second shoot for other 5/6.
I also have a big room separated from the rest of the house that I can convert in a little studio for children's photograpy (I saw some stuff on the net and it's not necessary a big studio).
My question is: what should I do now?
I was thinking about create a site and a blog. The first one with Zenfolio and the second one with..Rawfolio? Maybe some cheapo alternatives?
I only have a Facebook page and my promotion is only across that channel (without paying ads) and the spread of mouth of friends of mine.
I tried to second shoot more often with some photographers in my area but nobody need it.
So..I don't know what to do
Has anyone some tips?
Thanks to everybody

Matteo
ps. if you want to sneak peek my works: www.facebook.com/matteopette
i'm not a post prod. master...i really want to follow some classes on that.

Mar 18, 2013 at 07:28 PM
pette87
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · what shoud i do?

oh..no reply

Mar 21, 2013 at 08:21 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · what shoud i do?

Matteo, I don't think anyone knows how to answer your question, because it is too vague, too general. Answers to that question would be unhelpful to you.

A web site is fine. Alone, it will not make you succeed in business. And you need to have work you want to post. (See? Not very helpful, sorry.)

Just try clarifying your question. Make it more focused; less general.

Mar 21, 2013 at 08:31 AM
pette87
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · what shoud i do?

it's confused because i'm cofused too
basically i just want to make the right steps to enter in the business..but i don't know what steps i have to make

Mar 21, 2013 at 09:11 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · what shoud i do?

OK. Before you go jumping in full steam ahead in weddings, you need to get a decent portfolio. Practice, practice, practice.

If you are rally going to take this serious then you need to get a site started. I would start with a blog and shoot the shit out of life in general. Get friends and shoot them. Shoot family. Get portrait clients and shoot them. Blog it all. Then take the best photo from each shoot and start to build a portfolio and begin to transform you blog from just a blog to a portfolio site and a blog. Then just throw a few ads out there for weddings and be honest with people. Tell them you want to get in to weddings but have not done any or very few. Show them solid work that you can do it and someone will hire you.

I started shooting sports and portraits. Then when I wanted to get in to weddings, I showed a few people my portrait and sports portfolio. They were convinced I could take a good photo and hired me to do their wedding. 5 weddings later and had some samples to show people. I put together 2 albums and a best of from the 5 weddings. Booked more and then blogged them and started to build my portfolio. Then made more albums and revamped my site to separate sports from portraits and weddings. Now 10 years later I shoot weddings full time and love it.

best of luck to you. If you were in the states I would let you second shoot with me to help you out.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:55 AM
eephoto
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · what shoud i do?

Hi Mateo,

I agree with the above. I think you may need to shoot some Portfolio building sessions so that you can get your blog going. I put up a blog when I first started and thought "ok now everyone will flock to me!"....ummmm, NO! Didn't work like that. I had to offer my services for free and go to family and friends and ask for "guinea pigs". That led to some weddings on my own. (I was also 2nd shooting for pay the whole time). Then I started charging because you get to a point where you know it's time. I'm not sure if that helps to answer your question, but good luck and shoot and shoot and shoot!

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · what shoud i do?

You have 1000+ likes... I dont. .

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · what shoud i do?

paparazzinick wrote:
OK. Before you go jumping in full steam ahead in weddings, you need to get a decent portfolio. Practice, practice, practice.

If you are rally going to take this serious then you need to get a site started. I would start with a blog and shoot the shit out of life in general. Get friends and shoot them. Shoot family. Get portrait clients and shoot them. Blog it all. Then take the best photo from each shoot and start to build a portfolio and begin to transform you blog from just a blog to a portfolio site and a blog.
...Show more

+1

I think this is good advice. You need to be patient, it takes time to be a competent photographer, and time to be a competent wedding photographer. If you jump in blindly, you will only hurt yourself and those you involve. I think if you take the general advice above, you will be able to gradually build something together.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:49 PM
pette87
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · what shoud i do?

for this reason i asked here...just don't want to make the wrong steps that can cause a lot of trouble

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:14 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · what shoud i do?

You're thinking of what steps to take but you need a strategy first. I would first map out a marketing strategy of who I'm going to want to photograph; how I'm going to attract them to my business; how I will convert them to paying clients.

Once you have that you then figure out what steps to take to work the plan.

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · what shoud i do?

TheGE wrote:
I would first map out a marketing strategy of who I'm going to want to photograph; how I'm going to attract them to my business; how I will convert them to paying clients.

Whilst I think this is good advice, at this point I think it may be difficult for him with little experience, no real portfolio to understand who he wants to attract, what he wants to shoot. Sometime spent developing skills, experience, portfolio will help him. But of course, if he already has an idea of this then this will certainly help him streamline his direction.

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:21 PM
pette87
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · what shoud i do?

paparazzinick wrote:

If you are rally going to take this serious then you need to get a site started. I would start with a blog and shoot the shit out of life in general. Get friends and shoot them. Shoot family. Get portrait clients and shoot them. Blog it all. Then take the best photo from each shoot and start to build a portfolio and begin to transform you blog from just a blog to a portfolio site and a blog.
...Show more

thanks for the imput
how can I start with a blog? I was thinking about rawfolio...i need my own domain to get their service?
other news: in a very short time i'll be able to shoot in a "studio" rather then only outside.
I also tought to come in the US to second shoot for a period...but it's damn difficult for us work there

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:26 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · what shoud i do?

pette87 wrote:
thanks for the imput
how can I start with a blog? I was thinking about rawfolio...i need my own domain to get their service?
other news: in a very short time i'll be able to shoot in a "studio" rather then only outside.
I also tought to come in the US to second shoot for a period...but it's damn difficult for us work there

Get a domain from hostgator or godaddy or something of the like. Then install wordpress and just start making blog posts.

Rawfolio is just a wordpress theme. Dont waste your money yet. You can get a cheap theme on themeforest that looks nice too.

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:28 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · what shoud i do?

Hi Matteo and welcome to FM.

Update your equipment profile here on FM so we can help you with suggestions, i.e., do you have a backup camera for Plan B.
Write up a real business plan.
Locate and use a model release
Get insurance, not only on your equipment, but liability also.
Take the post production classes you need.
Source your wedding albums, printing and final product delivery solutions.
Price yourself on your new web site.
Gradually build your portfolio, posting here on FM for C&C.

Best of luck with your endeavors!!!

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:31 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · what shoud i do?

eephoto wrote:
Hi Mateo,

I agree with the above. I think you may need to shoot some Portfolio building sessions so that you can get your blog going. I put up a blog when I first started and thought "ok now everyone will flock to me!"....ummmm, NO! Didn't work like that. I had to offer my services for free and go to family and friends and ask for "guinea pigs". That led to some weddings on my own. (I was also 2nd shooting for pay the whole time). Then I started charging because you get to a point where you know it's
...Show more

I agree. Get out there and show your work to whomever will take the time to look. You might find out, as I did, that wedding are not your "Thing". Regardless, Good Luck, Jim

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:42 PM
pette87
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · what shoud i do?

Wobble wrote:
Hi Matteo and welcome to FM.

Update your equipment profile here on FM so we can help you with suggestions, i.e., do you have a backup camera for Plan B.
Write up a real business plan.
Locate and use a model release
Get insurance, not only on your equipment, but liability also.
Take the post production classes you need.
Source your wedding albums, printing and final product delivery solutions.
Price yourself on your new web site.
Gradually build your portfolio, posting here on FM for C&C.

Best of luck with your endeavors!!!

-equipment updated
-i don't know how to write a business plan..maybe i have to ask to some friends of mine graduated in economy
-for models: i have the model release and soon i'll be able to shoot indoors
-i have a personal insurance
-pp classes...yep..i need it...
-for now i deliver pics on a printed dvd with metallic box
-i priced myself around 1300$. it's not a big amount of money, but here in Italy we have also some "studio" that in some cases (wedding fairs) make a service for that kind of price.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:03 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · what shoud i do?

Surely get a nice blog site. Even working on your portfolio/trades/assisting having a nice place to show your work will give you more credibility as you grow. It will also show your work better. Facebook is a tool not a showcase and its photo quality is crap. Presentation is important.

Also as you build and do more portfolio work never call it free call it trade/project work. Its never free, both parties put in time. You also dont want to grow a rep being the "free" photographer.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:13 PM
pette87
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · what shoud i do?

NYstyles wrote:
Surely get a nice blog site. Even working on your portfolio/trades/assisting having a nice place to show your work will give you more credibility as you grow. It will also show your work better. Facebook is a tool not a showcase and its photo quality is crap. Presentation is important.

Also as you build and do more portfolio work never call it free call it trade/project work. Its never free, both parties put in time. You also dont want to grow a rep being the "free" photographer.

We use to make TFCD project here in Italy (i don't know if exist also in other part of the world ). The model give him/herself, the photog. can build portfolio for free and give the pics/prints to the model.
Having a nice place to show your work..are you talking about a studio?

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · what shoud i do?

pette87 wrote:
We use to make TFCD project here in Italy (i don't know if exist also in other part of the world ). The model give him/herself, the photog. can build portfolio for free and give the pics/prints to the model.
Having a nice place to show your work..are you talking about a studio?

Yes, we do TF just like you do, its done all over the world. Thats how you build a portfolio, practice, and learn. I still do it just for fun, I do makeup and hair styling so i like to do fun creatives I just cant do with clients. Shooting the ladies all glamed up is my true shooting love, I started as makeup artist/glam shooter and worked into events. I do TF with boudoir as majority of paying ladies dont post pictures on the net, its private for their hubby/boyfriend. I find ladies that will so I can advertise it. I like to keep updated and fresh work.

Not a studio, a nice website. A website has much better photo quality than Facebook. I suggest a paid for hosted Wordpress site with Godaddy or the like. What ever you have on your side of the world for hosting! lol Its Real cheap. Get a domain for under $20, a theme for $30-$50 and a Wordpress instal at less than $100, you can do monthly for less than $10 a month with majority of hosting companies and most do Wordpress.

Facebook is showing it "socially", a tool you use along with a website. Your website shows it "professionally". You want to do it professionally you have to look like one. A nice website will be the best money you'll Ever spend on your future with photography.

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:07 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · what shoud i do?

ricardovaste wrote:
Whilst I think this is good advice, at this point I think it may be difficult for him with little experience, no real portfolio to understand who he wants to attract, what he wants to shoot. Sometime spent developing skills, experience, portfolio will help him. But of course, if he already has an idea of this then this will certainly help him streamline his direction.

I understand he should develop his skills, portfolio and experience, but I wasn't going to write a complete treatise on how to start a photography business. He's making sounds of blogging and creating a site and whatever, and that's what I addressed: the need to think first, plan the strategy first - and THEN implement the tactics to carry out in line with the strategy. Otherwise he'll just be yet another blog yet another website, wondering why business doesn't come in.

Mar 22, 2013 at 07:05 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password