Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

jbrandt378
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

Swaggart wrote:
I'm surprised no one has posted about the Lensbaby Tilt! I use two pro body cams and one Nex with the tilt for nikon lenses at every wedding. This renders all my Nikon lenses the ability to tilt, so my 50 f/1.2 is always mounted to it during the day for fun details and funky perspectives. It's really quite useful in this manor as its not my main camera option, just a fun always handy and infinitely useful option.

My favorite use I've found though was shooting wide open at f/1.2 and keeping two people in near perfect focus when separated
...Show more

I'd love to see one of your favorite shots with the lens. I've been toying with picking one up. Your idea intrigues me.

Mar 19, 2013 at 04:48 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

I keep thinking I want a T/S lens. But then I realize that in CS5, I can create the same effect in a matter of 45-60 seconds, and save myself $1,500-1,800 on a lens.

Open image. Quick Mask. Gradient filter. Draw line. Quick mask. Image - blur - lens blur. On a resized image, it's instantaneous. On a full resolution image, takes about 30 seconds to render.

I can't justify buying a lens to do this when I can do it and tweak it in post.

I usually only do maybe 1 or 2 images per shoot/wedding like this, just to screw around and ONLY if it adds to the image.

Mar 19, 2013 at 05:08 PM
spink
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

I've been really torn between a 17-40 and a 24 ts. My widest lens as this point is a 24 and I can't decide how much I want to "play" vs. if I need the extra wide. Sigh.

Mar 19, 2013 at 05:33 PM
CAlbertson

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

The point of a tilt lens is to tilt KEEP stuff in focus that otherwise would not b in focus. Food photos are the classic example because you need the entire 12" plate inside the DOF.

If you want to intentionally de-focus then do that in Photoshop. It is trivial.

The tilt lens is best used on large and (maybe) medium format because of the VERY small DOF those system have but on a small format camera you can generally stop down and get all the DOF you need.

But, all that said the goal of a wedding photographer is to make money and you do that by impressing the client and gaining a reputation. In the past you did this simply by owning a Hasselblad. Now I guess a tilt lens?

Mar 19, 2013 at 06:46 PM
collportraits

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

@CAlbertson: I shot Hasselblad for years for a very upscale clientele and I'll say that probably less than 10% of them even knew what one was, much less hired me for that fact.

Today I shoot a 45 TS and again, I'd say an even smaller percentage of my clients know what one is... And no, you cannot achieve in PS what you can with a TS lens, sorry. It changes the plane of focus. You cannot do that via PS.

It is the images that your clients are looking at / hiring you for, not your gear. Most photographers I know (including me) love gear, and maybe we love to talk gear ... and you will get clients who are gearheads as well, but 99% of your clients don't hire you based on your gear.

Mar 19, 2013 at 06:51 PM
Marco
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

For those who think that you can recreate the tilt effect in PS, well... sorry you clearly have never used a TS lens...

It's not about simply blurring some parts of images but about selecting the plane of focus which could go almost perpendicular to you, so that even wide open with a tele lens you can focus from few inches to infinity.
The dof in that case would actually be left/right instead front/back relative to the subject.

No PS magic can do this, because you always start with a very different image.

Mar 19, 2013 at 09:40 PM
Swaggart
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

Ok I'll look through my shots when I get some time. Really if anyone already owns a mirrorless camera them it's a no brainer, like $150 or something then ALL your lenses are now tilt lenses. I've even shot my 24 1.4 & 135 2 on the tilt with nice results.

And this can't be exactly duplicated in software. Software can only add blur but it can't add or replicate DoF. Anyone who says just use PS isn't really considering the real usage of T/S lenses.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM
LivLif
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

Prettym1k3 wrote:
I keep thinking I want a T/S lens. But then I realize that in CS5, I can create the same effect in a matter of 45-60 seconds, and save myself $1,500-1,800 on a lens.

Open image. Quick Mask. Gradient filter. Draw line. Quick mask. Image - blur - lens blur. On a resized image, it's instantaneous. On a full resolution image, takes about 30 seconds to render.

I can't justify buying a lens to do this when I can do it and tweak it in post.

I usually only do maybe 1 or 2 images per shoot/wedding like this, just to screw around
...Show more

It's even easier in CS6.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

I'm a 3D artist, so doing post process DOF blurs is something I do on a regular basis. While it works well in 90% of the situations it suffers from quite a few limitations. If you have any transparent object in your scene, you can't properly blur them while retaining the proper DOF on objects seen through the transparency. Also you don't get the peak behind effect, if you have a branch in the foreground that is out of focus, with regular in camera DOF you see what is behind the branch, with post process DOF that information can never be recovered, because it isn't there.

Know the limitations, and know when to use the right tool.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

CAlbertson wrote:
The point of a tilt lens is to tilt KEEP stuff in focus that otherwise would not b in focus. Food photos are the classic example because you need the entire 12" plate inside the DOF.

If you want to intentionally de-focus then do that in Photoshop. It is trivial.

The tilt lens is best used on large and (maybe) medium format because of the VERY small DOF those system have but on a small format camera you can generally stop down and get all the DOF you need.

But, all that said the goal of a wedding photographer is to make
...Show more

Don't think you have been around here enough to understand the usage of tilt shift.

Oh, i see your all practical-ness..... but we are not talking about practical-ness. we are talking about being creative.
and there are shots that just don't look the same created in photoshop vs the real deal.

-Mark

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

anthonyket
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

expect to see the used market for these lenses to dry up.
Otherwise a bit over the look

Mar 20, 2013 at 07:48 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

A bit surprised no one has mentioned Alien Skin Bokeh 2. This plug-in can replicate Tilt-shift lens effects as well as a lot of other bokeh effects. I am experimenting with a trial version.Still undecided.

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:16 AM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

Any ideas/experience on these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kipon-Hasselblad-V-mount-lens-Canon-EOS-EF-Tilt-Shift-Adapter-5D-II-III-60D-/330744085432?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DMRU-625%252BUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D280645393484%26ps%3D54

Mar 20, 2013 at 02:16 PM
RSpears

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

It took me a while to acquire the holy trinity of lenses, and I'm quite happy with what I have, but I admit that some of the stuff that I've seen with the Lensbaby is creative. I'd like to see what other photographers have done with a tilt shift or lensbaby setup. I also agree with the person who said it's an effect that I'd be more likely to use on an engagement session than the wedding day.

Mar 20, 2013 at 03:20 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

I've seen photos done extremely when the effects of free lensing or tilt shift lenses are subtle.

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:11 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

Just to add another point: While people can replicate the tilt shift lens effects in Photoshop to a certain extent, the ability to tilt the plane of focus is not why folks (like me) purchase tilt shift lenses.

I'm able to shift the lens for panorama stitching, improve your composition to exclude unwanted elements in your frame when in tight spots, alter the field of view of tall buildings so that the lines are perfectly vertical. I'm able to get really closer to my subject so this also acts like a macro lens.

I guess if folks want to purchase a tilt shift lens only for the ability to blur out areas in a photo, then paying over $1,800 does seem like a lot for one feature alone.

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:22 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

Wasn't this the 'in' fad two-ish years ago? Movements used to throw areas oof makes my eyes hurt, often makes things look miniature or just that your camera is broken.

I prefer solid pictures with good content, good light and are that are well composed, the rest of these effects like TS lenses, or processing will just detract in a good photograph but that is just me.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:45 PM
big country
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

i've been shooting w/ ts-e's for weddings for the last four years. "photographers" knock them, but clients, the ones who pay the bills, love their images.

Mar 22, 2013 at 04:40 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

Swaggart wrote:
I'm surprised no one has posted about the Lensbaby Tilt!

The Lensbabys are basically the same effect as a tilt-shift lens, right?

Mar 22, 2013 at 07:39 AM
CMB Photo
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Shooting weddings with a Tilt and Shift lens

Talk is good but I'd like to see some good sample of TS work form our finest FM-ers..

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password