New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Newborn portraits

brewercm
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Newborn portraits

Took these today of my new grandson. Let me know what you think.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Newborn portraits

3rd one for me out of this lot, although it looked like you missed focus on the eyes and got his hand.

The first and second I feel that the bunny ears and the ribbon/flower in the first are taking too much away from the baby and are more the focus, I also like shooting on dark backgrounds for these kinds of shoot to make the newborn stand out more.

Regards
Bud

Mar 18, 2013 at 01:34 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Newborn portraits

bbourizk wrote:
3rd one for me out of this lot, although it looked like you missed focus on the eyes and got his hand.

The first and second I feel that the bunny ears and the ribbon/flower in the first are taking too much away from the baby and are more the focus, I also like shooting on dark backgrounds for these kinds of shoot to make the newborn stand out more.

Regards
Bud

Agree. Highlight the baby. The eyes or the face or whatever. But when you introduce those other colourful elements, the baby doesn't get as much attention.

Your 'customer' may want those things, so you gotta do them. You could suggest shots without those things.

Mar 18, 2013 at 05:46 AM
Dooginfif20
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Newborn portraits

I agree with the previous two posts. The first two in my mind are throw aways. The third Im still not sold on completely. You missed focus on the first and third and I have no idea why you shot up his nose in the second. How close do you have him to the backdrop and what was your lighting setup?

Mar 18, 2013 at 09:27 AM
brewercm
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Newborn portraits

You are correct on the 3rd being the focus wasn't right on his eye like I wanted and really the same as the 1st. He wasn't being very cooperative at the time we were taking them. I have another shot with the bow and tag (my wifes idea for her grandson) that has the perfect focus but the facial expression not so good. Really the same with the with the 3rd shot also. We are going to give it another go next weekend when he's maybe in a little better mood.

I'll try a black background with that shoot and see how it turns out. Lighting was a single Elinchrom light in a 46" Octobox shot from about 45 degrees down just slightly left of center over the camera. Backdrop was just behind the table we were using. I've never shot with one that close so I may see if it works better placing it further back like a normal portrait shoot.

Thanks for the comments. Now I need to show them to my wife so she can stop with all these brilliant ideas.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Newborn portraits

I'm no baby expert but I had the same critiques as the others - focus, posing. I can't imagine that ANY baby is going to really be cooperative but I would think it would help to do it right after feeding and nap time. I know for my family shoots I tell them to try to have little ones rested and fed before the shoot but you work with what you get.

brad

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Dooginfif20
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Newborn portraits

brewercm wrote:
You are correct on the 3rd being the focus wasn't right on his eye like I wanted and really the same as the 1st. He wasn't being very cooperative at the time we were taking them. I have another shot with the bow and tag (my wifes idea for her grandson) that has the perfect focus but the facial expression not so good. Really the same with the with the 3rd shot also. We are going to give it another go next weekend when he's maybe in a little better mood.

I'll try a black background with that shoot and see
...Show more

If I may offer a suggestion to your next shoot I would say if you are going with a one light setup (with an octobox) try moving it at a 90 degree angle perpendicualr to the baby. Line up the very back edge of the light with the baby. Also shoot it level with the baby. This helps create very nice light fall off. Have the baby's head towards the light. If you have a reflector place this on the opposite side of the light. I think your current backdrop may work, but you need to get a little light off of it. Also do you have Photoshop or Lightroom? One of the huge downfalls of shooting newborns is their skin. It likes really strange and discolored. This usually requires a B&W conversion or skin softening. That was one thing that jumped out at me right off the bat looking at these. Also if you are trying to get sleeping shots its best to wait until they have noodle arms before you lay them down. Just some info for ya!

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM
brewercm
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Newborn portraits

Yes I can do that with the reflector on the other side and I also have both LR and Photoshop. I did a quick clone on some of the backdrop where there were some wrinkles that showed up a little bit.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.