Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Online image not the same as in CS

momof3b1g

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Online image not the same as in CS

I just edited a flower photo, posted it to Photobucket. Posted it here and its awful. Gray and muted colors. It looks terrible PB site too. CS mode is set to RGB, 8bits.Why is that?

Mar 18, 2013 at 03:24 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Online image not the same as in CS

You're experiencing a color management/profile mismatch problem. It sounds like you're using a wider gamut color space and then viewing it with no embedded profiles on a narrow or standard (sRGB) gamut screen. What you're seeing is normal - well, sort of.

There's no 100 percent fix, but the best you can do is to convert your files destined for web viewing to sRGB from whatever your working space is and remember to embed the damned profile. Some sites are going to strip the profiles and some aren't. Some browsers are color managed and some never will be. Hint: Chrome is the worst, no matter what Google may have you believe. Safari, Firefox and IE9 on a PC are good choices for accurate color.

Mar 18, 2013 at 03:55 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Online image not the same as in CS

While you might be in RGB 8bit mode, you may still be working in a different color space.

Look under Edit down to find Assign Profile and Convert to Profile. Open Assign Profile and you can see what your current color space is that you are working in. Using Assign Profile you can choose to work in a different space. However, you can also use it to preview what it will look like to others if they are looking at it in a different space. The point here is to readily see how different it can look to others on the web where sRGB space is most prominent used/assumed.

If you are working in a wider space like Adobe RGB, ProPhoto RGB, or CIE RGB, assigning to the smaller sRGB space will look differently, often times muted by comparison to the wider spaces. Just because you are in RGB mode, doesn't mean that all RGB spaces are going to look the same if others are viewing in sRGB while you have been working in Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB.

For this, you may want to use Convert to Profile (as Peter mentions) for posting your files to the web. When you do convert spaces, PS will try to emulate/match the image so you may not notice a radical change (like when you changed the space using Assign Profile), but if you have converted it to sRGB (and imbedded), it will have a better chance of being viewed by others as you have created it.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM
kouasupra1
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Online image not the same as in CS

Wow... Thank you so much guys.

In PS my colors look correct the way I want it to be. But when I upload to flickr and post it up on the web. It just wasn't saturated enough. Just found out my photos didn't have sRGB embedded into them.

In my flickr account when looking at my EXIF photos under "Color Space" it states "uncalibrated". Wow I never knew that or just didn't look carefully enough.

Thanks to you guys I now have assign all of my new photos to sRBG for color space. Thanks a million Peter, and RustyBug.

Mar 19, 2013 at 07:04 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Online image not the same as in CS

When you save for web in Photoshop, it automatically converts it to sRGB.

Mar 19, 2013 at 07:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kouasupra1
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Online image not the same as in CS

Sunny Sra wrote:
When you save for web in Photoshop, it automatically converts it to sRGB.

Not according to Flickr EXIF information. Once I save the image to jpeg I post it up on flickr. When viewing each picture the "color space" states uncalibrated.

Mar 19, 2013 at 07:32 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Online image not the same as in CS

A lot of these web sites strip the EXIF Data out of your image when it gets posted, so even if you include it, it doesn't matter. Still, best you can do, in addition to lobbying those companies to preserve all the data, is to convert your files to sRGB, embed the profile and hope for the best. In that case, anyone using a monitor reasonably close to sRGB will see you image more or less how you want them to. Someone viewing on a wide gamut monitor will see an over saturated image, and of course, anyone using Chrome is just shit out of luck. The bottom line is that it never hurts to embed the profile and often will help and it only adds 4K to the image size.

Mar 19, 2013 at 07:49 AM
kouasupra1
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Online image not the same as in CS

When you talk about embedding the image. Are you talking about changing the file to sRGB in ACR, and opening it in PS. From there you assign profile to sRGB correct?

Mar 19, 2013 at 07:59 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Online image not the same as in CS

If the file is already sRGB in ACR, you don't need to re-assign the profile to sRGB in PS.

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:55 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password