Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Avs Oilers Hockey

jspytek
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Avs Oilers Hockey

Here are the best of what I was able to shoot from behind the glass at the Avs game last Tuesday.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:11 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Avs Oilers Hockey

Had to crop out a player on the bottom right. Not sure him being blurred out and the image being larger would help. I did get all the players on the bench, which was my focus of this shot.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM
awacs
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Avs Oilers Hockey

That's an intense stare (Varlamov, I believe?)! That one is worth cropping and keeping. Might bump the expo a bit.

Does the rink staff hassle you about your camera gear?

Aram

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Avs Oilers Hockey

I actually like all of these jspytek with the exception of #3. Nice action shot, but no faces and hard to tell who is in the pic.
Love #2 and #5.
I have 2 minor league hockey teams close and often wondered about taking my gear and see what I could get. May have to give it a shot

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:38 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Avs Oilers Hockey

Thanks, that's fair regarding #3. I found the action was hard to get a shot that ended up full frame and telling a story. This is one of the first times I made an effort to shoot non-action shots, and was surprised to see how much emotion I could find away from the action.

This spring I'm going to make an effort to shoot more of the fans and coaches. But I've also been trying to watch the professionals and what makes the magazines. e.g. I chuckle now that when I watch a basketball game I'm just as interested to see what the photographers are shooting as I am in the game. What caught my attention recently was when the shot is finished a couple of the photographers immediately moved the lens to capture the bench reaction. Having noticed that, when I was at the hockey game I made an effort to shoot the bench, in that last shot #6 above, when the puck was near me. I was odd not following the action, but I liked how I was able to capture their emotions / focus at that moment.

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:21 PM
poolek
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Avs Oilers Hockey

These overall look good considering you were shooting through the glass. I like seeing the crowd in the background from this angle. Would have been nice to see a little more action around the net, but it looks like you were right behind the net so tough to do. Did you have any trouble bringing all your gear in? It looks like you had a good variety of lenses. #4 you could rotate clockwise a bit to straighten things up. Use the partition in the glass as a guide. Look forward to seeing more.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Avs Oilers Hockey

Most of my around the net shots were too cluttered.

I see what you mean on #4. I had already cropped that down to as straight as I could get. But since I was using a fixed ratio my software wouldn't allow me to turn the picture any more. I do appreciate you pointing out the lines though. That's something new to me (horizon / vertical lines in the background) and I'm trying to make an effort to straighten them.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Hockey_Nut
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Avs Oilers Hockey

Not a bad series given you had to shoot through the glass. WB and contrast look fine to me. Given how fast these guys skate & move the puck, you did a good job.

The strongest photo from a purely competitive perspective and from an editorial perspective is #1 but the puck is almost lost in the bottom part of the frame.

Photo 2 - Dubnyk's photo is sharp and the background is kind of neat given that it's a rink, but no emotion and not seeing much of the face doesn't make it work for me.

Photo 3 - doesn't do anything for me. Goalie's arm is distracting and the puck is in mid air … for me, the wind up or the puck just coming off the blade would have made it a bit more compelling … a bit too loose of a crop that also takes away from the emotion/expressions of the players.

Photo 4 - decent isolation shot & expression on the player but the horizon & the composition are a bit off. The two guys standing behind the glass with folded arms … I'd try to crop them out.

Photo 5 - crop the other Avs players out of the frame & focus only on the stare. Why is he so intense but his team mates seem to be chatting … they talking about him? lol.

Photo 6 - love the idea of shooting the bench & coaches but wait for the reaction of the players. Get them rolling their eyes when scored upon or banging their sticks/cheering after a goal … like the concept though.

Overall, good photo quality given you had to shoot through the glass. Composition & cropping can be tweaked a bit. I shoot youth sports so I'm always trying to isolate the player as parents generally don't want photos with other players in them … but if you are looking to shoot for newswires etc, you will need the shots that have action (both teams in the photo) and the emotion of the game … they should tell a story.

Hope this helps,

Brent

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:53 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Avs Oilers Hockey

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

I've worked on them and think they are closer to what you were suggesting.

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:56 PM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Avs Oilers Hockey

Like the updated ones.
Well done

Mar 26, 2013 at 03:35 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.