Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First time doing paid headshot session

nextelbuddy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First time doing paid headshot session

Got a call from our officiant that married me and the wife. She needed head shots for her radio shows website and this was last minute.

Took the images yesterday, edited and sent them on their way this morning as requested and she loved them. I was pretty happy with these as well.

Just for fun my wife helped me test out the lighting before the client arrived and we had a little fun with some high key stuff and a normal head-shot for her which I decided to keep.

Also the radio show requested some 3/4 to full body shots for their website as well so i pulled out the parabolic 7 ft umbrella on a grey back drop for a more quick and dirty fashion shot type.

Like I expected the client literally froze up when the camera was pointed to her lol and I poked fun at her for that which got her feeling good and we developed a good rapport on camera which really helped get some great expressions.

Hopefully everyone enjoys these as well!

My setup was:

D700 Sigma 50 1.4 between f2.2 and 2.8 ISO 200
17 inch socked Beauty dish up top angled down (SB800 @ 1/32 power)
white v slat foam core down below in a clam shell setup
back ground light SB600 @ 1/16 power 4 feet behind subject

and picture of setup:

IMG_20130316_162057 by nextelbuddy, on Flickr

They may appear over exposed to everyone and they are a bit which is just the decision i went with these. I felt they really brought out the life in the expression and eyes and i just made sure that I didn't have any hotspots.

I purposefully left her a bit close to the white back ground to create a little spill effect as well on the shoulder areas a this helped create a sort of rim light ad hair light which I preferred over a gridded speedlight I tried earlier.

Wife playful ones first

DSC_1396 color by nextelbuddy, on Flickr

DSC_1403 by nextelbuddy, on Flickr

Client shots

DSC_1467 crop by nextelbuddy, on Flickr

DSC_1452 crop by nextelbuddy, on Flickr

DSC_1494 by nextelbuddy, on Flickr

DSC_1507 by nextelbuddy, on Flickr

DSC_1515 by nextelbuddy, on Flickr

Mar 18, 2013 at 02:57 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First time doing paid headshot session

Nice lighting and expressions

A few comments:
1. Can you move the client further from the BG? This might help fix the flash shadows in 5, 6, 7

2. Multiple catchlights in the eyes in 3 and 4 look a bit odd. Consider cloning out extra catchlights so you've only got one left.

3. Nice posing, but the folded arms in 7 make her shoulders look big. Separating the arms from the body helps to reduce this (as in 5 and 6)

4. Did you do any PP around the cleavage in 5 and 6? The wide pale vertical line looks odd, when a slim dark shadow is what we expect to see (as in 4)

Mar 18, 2013 at 03:10 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First time doing paid headshot session

I think these look great, The first one is the only one that's a bit too bright for me.
What's the beauty dish your using with the speedlight?

Mar 18, 2013 at 03:11 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First time doing paid headshot session

Love the high key shot, the first one! The gum in mouth really makes that shot!

Very nice client shots! Like Tony mentioned, you may want to pull the client away from the BG to give some separation and so you can light the BG and get rid of shadows. But overall, fab job! Way to go!

Mar 18, 2013 at 03:16 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First time doing paid headshot session

High key ones work for me, but I *really* hope 5 thru 7 are not finals. I am guessing you will be extracting them from those awful shadowy and wrinkled paper rolls.

Once you do that, they will be quite nice

greg

Mar 18, 2013 at 05:20 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First time doing paid headshot session

They look great and I can see why they're happy with them. You got some nice expressions. I think you need to flag the background lights on 1-4. You're getting a lot of spill from them and the background.

The background is looking a little "wrinkled papery" in 5-7.

brad

Mar 18, 2013 at 05:25 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First time doing paid headshot session

Very bright and colourful set. Love it!

#2 - That winning smile is captured well. My fav of the set.

A nit or two:

#4 - A straight on shot with the arms to the sides, shot from slightly low (think slight distortion). This gives her a massive shoulder and upper body size. Compare to #3, where she's turned and looks slimmer.
#5. Her right arm position should be so that we see background between her body and her arm. Keeps the body from looking larger than it is.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First time doing paid headshot session

Overall I think you did a really nice job on these. I picked #4 as one of my faves but Jim made a good point on the shoulders being broadened by the perspective. Still, I love the expression she gave you in that one. I understood that you chose to have her cast some shadow on the backdrop and I think you executed that vision nicely.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:18 AM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First time doing paid headshot session

scottam10 wrote:
Nice lighting and expressions

A few comments:
1. Can you move the client further from the BG? This might help fix the flash shadows in 5, 6, 7

2. Multiple catchlights in the eyes in 3 and 4 look a bit odd. Consider cloning out extra catchlights so you've only got one left.

3. Nice posing, but the folded arms in 7 make her shoulders look big. Separating the arms from the body helps to reduce this (as in 5 and 6)

4. Did you do any PP around the cleavage in 5 and 6? The wide pale vertical line looks odd, when a slim
...Show more

1. Thanks for the reply!, i chose to leave the client close to the back ground to emulate the fashion type feel that you see in some magazines and advertisements that has the light glow around them. It was a creative decision i chose however it doesn't mean it was the right one necessarily and I may revisit this theory the next time.

2. I think the multiple catch lights is a hit or miss with people and some hate it or love it. I think i would do more damage trying to clone it out in the iris honestly.

3. I just wanted some variety in posing and expression and I had already used a few other arm poses in the other full body shot images so this was just one additional posing style for variety and I felt this one leaned more toward the professional woman statement.

4. I did not, the cleavage in image #4 is because I had the subject wrap her arms around her body while facing me so that her shoulders were not completely square and made her appear slimmer than hanging by the sides or hands on the hips. images 5 and 6 are how her cleavage appears with arms away from body.

thanks for the critique!

bbourizk wrote:
I think these look great, The first one is the only one that's a bit too bright for me.
What's the beauty dish your using with the speedlight?

Thank you, the first one was very high key and some either love or hate it.

the beauty dish is one from amazon and its a 17 inch dish that came with a speed light flash bracket. ePhoto was the name brand and I believe I will be looking to upgrade to a 22 inch one soon.

friscoron wrote:
Love the high key shot, the first one! The gum in mouth really makes that shot!

Very nice client shots! Like Tony mentioned, you may want to pull the client away from the BG to give some separation and so you can light the BG and get rid of shadows. But overall, fab job! Way to go!

yea the we loved the gum, it just adds a sense of crazy and wackyness to the image.

I was using a 7 foot parabolic umbrella which is supposed to light the subject and also light the back ground as well when the subject is close to the back ground and give a nice ring light shadow around the subject. i kinda liked the effect but it seems as if most people dont?

gheller wrote:
High key ones work for me, but I *really* hope 5 thru 7 are not finals. I am guessing you will be extracting them from those awful shadowy and wrinkled paper rolls.

Once you do that, they will be quite nice

greg

Hey Greg! thanks for taking the time to comment. 5-7 were the final shots, I don't like knocking out the back ground and just dropping in a plain grey back ground from photoshop, it looks too fake and the color never matches right.

These shots on the grey back drop were supposed to be more gritty/fashion/real with the particular color correcting and relationship tot he back ground. the shadows were intentional however the wrinkles were not and i tried to get much of them out but it appears its still a bit much. my back drop which is a thunder grey roll of paper bust need to be ironed or flattened and ill get to work on that.

DigMeTX wrote:
They look great and I can see why they're happy with them. You got some nice expressions. I think you need to flag the background lights on 1-4. You're getting a lot of spill from them and the background.

The background is looking a little "wrinkled papery" in 5-7.

brad

The back ground spill was intentional, I wanted some rim light to the shoulders and hair that i was not getting when using my additional separate hair light earlier. The spill i try to avoid is when the white becomes the bright "yellow" haze that starts to over come the subject.

I do need to address the wrinkles though so thanks!

Jim Rickards wrote:
Very bright and colourful set. Love it!

#2 - That winning smile is captured well. My fav of the set.

A nit or two:

#4 - A straight on shot with the arms to the sides, shot from slightly low (think slight distortion). This gives her a massive shoulder and upper body size. Compare to #3, where she's turned and looks slimmer.
#5. Her right arm position should be so that we see background between her body and her arm. Keeps the body from looking larger than it is.

all great comments and thanks! i just noticed what you mean on #5 and agree, not being able to see the back ground through her arm and body is a bit odd and gives the illusion of a larger body. Something for me to keep in mind on future work.

ESC in KC wrote:
Overall I think you did a really nice job on these. I picked #4 as one of my faves but Jim made a good point on the shoulders being broadened by the perspective. Still, I love the expression she gave you in that one. I understood that you chose to have her cast some shadow on the backdrop and I think you executed that vision nicely.

Appreciate the kind words ESC! she certainly did have nice expressions, i'm glad someone else agrees with the shadow cast on the grey back ground

Mar 18, 2013 at 02:31 PM

Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First time doing paid headshot session

One comment about the wrinkled seamless: I've never heard of anyone successfully removing wrinkles from seamless. They happen when the roll of paper is stored horizontally (gravity takes its toll). Store your roll upright and you won't have wrinkles.

Also, regarding lighting the background with the 7' parabolic, the key here is to use distance and the inverse square law to work in your favor. Moving the light closer to the subject will increase light falloff more quickly, rendering the background darker and the lighting more tightly focused. Moving the light back from the subject will lessen the amount of falloff between subject and background, creating a brighter, more even light across the entire scene. That's a creative decision you can make. So, if you want to a lighter background, move the light back from the subject; for a darker background, move it closer. (Of course, this requires power adjustments on your light to maintain the same exposure on your subject.) As to your decision to include shadows, I think that's a plus. But I still would have moved the light back a bit to even out the light overall. But that's just me....

Mar 18, 2013 at 04:10 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First time doing paid headshot session

The client headshots are nice, really nice.
As for the full length they need a lot of work. The background is really bad. The light is a too harsh for me. More along the lines of a direct flash from a point and shoot. The expressions are good so that is a plus. The rest is nothing a little work in photoshop could not correct. Adjust things like the chest being brighter than the face. Provide seperation from the background and smooth it, make it less reflective looking. Maybe bring the top edge gray color to the whole background area. Add some contrast to the dress. Too flat due to lighting. Make it pop more.

Mar 18, 2013 at 04:32 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · First time doing paid headshot session

Yeah, it looks like that roll was stored sideways. Trust me, I learned the hard way as well. I have a 12-foot roll and the only place it stands upright in my house is in my stairwell. Looks weird there, but that's what you do for art. :-)

Hate to say it, but you need to trash it and buy a new one. At least, that was my experience.

Mar 18, 2013 at 04:51 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · First time doing paid headshot session

yea the Roll was stored sideways no its side in my garage. I guess its ruined for uses like this however I may be able to use it if I don't directly light it or have more distance between the subject and back ground?

Mar 18, 2013 at 05:21 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · First time doing paid headshot session

Theoretically, yes. Increasing the distance between background and subject, and decreasing the distance from light to subject (i.e. move your subject closer to the light) will result in less light on your background. At some point, the variations caused by the wrinkles and sags will disappear.

Mar 18, 2013 at 05:33 PM
CoLmes
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · First time doing paid headshot session

The first few headshots are awesome! I love that kind of style! I'll be marking this post for future reference.

What did you use to set off your flashes?

Mar 18, 2013 at 07:41 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · First time doing paid headshot session

CoLmes wrote:
The first few headshots are awesome! I love that kind of style! I'll be marking this post for future reference.

What did you use to set off your flashes?

I used Cactus V5 triggers with SB800,600,900 and lumpro 160 speedlites.

Mar 18, 2013 at 08:00 PM
benee
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · First time doing paid headshot session

really great energy and "pop" on those high-key shots.

I can't get over the BG on those ful body shots. If you had the BG further back and really opened up the aperture, the BD might be useable, otherwise, its time for new seamless!

Mar 18, 2013 at 08:21 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password