Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · A hunter's portraits in the field

ESC in KC
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A hunter's portraits in the field

A good friend of the family here. My mom wanted to give him the gift of some portraits out in the field doing what he loves to do most - shoot stuff! Only in this case I was the only one shooting, so no carcasses for you to view here. I just asked him to do the kind of things he would on a hunt in terms of being ready to shoot, stalking, aiming etc. and tried to capture some interesting frames as he did so.

It was a cold a crappy day out but we had some nice soft light to play with. I also stuck a bare flash on a tripod and had it give us a kiss of light here and there.

He has some really awesome guns and we wanted to highlight a couple of his faves.

#11 - BOOM! (scare ya?)

Thanks for the look

Ed

Mar 17, 2013 at 09:27 PM
huddy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A hunter's portraits in the field

Nice set. I think he'll enjoy those a lot. The vibrant colors on a muted day are really nice. Looks like some nice guns too. The GSG 1911-.22 isn't quite as scary as a 45ACP model, but it's a nice looker and good shooter too.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Josiah Jones
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A hunter's portraits in the field

A very good set of photos....and ones I know he has to be extremely happy with.

If I were to isolate only one as a favorite....I'd go with #2.
Great photo in every sense of the word.

Josiah

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:13 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A hunter's portraits in the field

Really nice work here, Ed. I bet he really loves it! My fave is probably No. 8. It's a nice smile, really shows some character there. I think I'd like the color version better, but I'm totally liking it the best.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:49 AM
benee
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A hunter's portraits in the field

I dig 8 and 4 a lot. Good stuff!

Mar 18, 2013 at 01:22 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A hunter's portraits in the field

These are fantastic

Mar 18, 2013 at 03:08 AM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A hunter's portraits in the field

Very nice, #2 is my fave

Greg

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A hunter's portraits in the field

Wonderful set. He's going to be happy with these.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A hunter's portraits in the field

Thanks everyone for the comments. I haven't heard back from him yet about the photos but I'm hoping he is as happy with them as I was after I culled through our take.

He is a real enthusiast - he has a beautiful cabinet loaded with a huge variety of rifles and shotguns and has a cool setup where he reloads his bullet casings. As he said, he spends far more time thinking about and getting ready for hunts than he actually does hunting.

Not much different than me with my photography hobby!

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A hunter's portraits in the field

Great set Ed, no. 6 is among my favorites here.
Douglas

Mar 18, 2013 at 01:49 PM

BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A hunter's portraits in the field

He might have trouble picking out the best, they are ALL very nice

Good job
Bob

Mar 18, 2013 at 01:55 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A hunter's portraits in the field

he spends far more time thinking about and getting ready for hunts than he actually does hunting.

Not much different than me with my photography hobby!

That's why your photos are so good...

I'm not a hunter or a gun afficionado at all, but my first thought about the sidearm was that he brings it along in case of some close-quarter encounters with deer....

Mar 18, 2013 at 04:22 PM
ksteed

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A hunter's portraits in the field

nice

Mar 18, 2013 at 07:52 PM
Doug-S

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A hunter's portraits in the field

These are all very nice. I bet he is thrilled with them. Number 6 really rocks! Doug

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:00 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A hunter's portraits in the field

Hey thanks everyone for the kind words! He let me know today that he really likes them a lot. It's very gratifying to create something that people emotionally connect with. That's the beauty of photographing people versus landscapes or other inanimate objects.

Mar 19, 2013 at 03:07 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A hunter's portraits in the field

7 is amazing.. not sure if he has kids or a big family but I would print that frame it and give it to him.
Tell him that in 100 years his great great great grandkids are going to look at it and be amazed. Amazing environmental portraits like that will always stand the test of time.

Mar 19, 2013 at 03:43 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A hunter's portraits in the field

hardlyboring wrote:
7 is amazing.. not sure if he has kids or a big family but I would print that frame it and give it to him.
Tell him that in 100 years his great great great grandkids are going to look at it and be amazed. Amazing environmental portraits like that will always stand the test of time.

That's about as nice a compliment as can be given in my opinion. Thank you! I'm eager to see what they choose to print. He has a den dedicated to his hunting stuff so I'm hoping they decide on a canvas wrap or something more than a 5x7 on the desk.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Hybrid AWD
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A hunter's portraits in the field

My only opinion is in photo 2 & 4 he has both eyes open. Just seems weird to shoot with them both open so it doesn't seem right to me.

Other than that, great photos.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A hunter's portraits in the field

Hybrid AWD wrote:
My only opinion is in photo 2 & 4 he has both eyes open. Just seems weird to shoot with them both open so it doesn't seem right to me.

Other than that, great photos.

I wondered about that too - if it makes it look not real. He did look through the scope with both eyes open a lot. I'm guessing that maybe it allows him to get oriented into a general area before he gets a more refined aim with one eye shut? Maybe other hunters on here could comment on that. Thanks!

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM
charlandk
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A hunter's portraits in the field

I agree with hybrid. I do a ton of shooting/hunting. I dont shoot with both eyes open unless doing tactical competitions in which case my optics are made to shoot with both eyes open. Never on an open sight handgun.
Otherwise the pics are very nice. The black and white conversion in #4 is prob my favorite.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password