Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

Tredders
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

So, after 9 seasons of shooting pro hockey here in the UK (www.marktredgold.com), I've decided to hang up my camera. I've been the official photographer for my local team for all that time, and I've made the decision to stop for several reasons: Firstly, photography is a hobby for me, and I have a fairly demanding day job, and the photo side of things is eating into more and more of my time. Secondly, if I'm absolutely honest, the hockey photography side of things has become a chore - all the photos are starting to look the same to me, and I'm not enjoying it any more. There is a natural successor, so the club will still be covered for photos, so I'm going to go back to watching hockey instead of shooting it. Here's my dilemma though....

I never use my camera and lenses outside of the hockey rink. I bought a Fuji X100 for holidays / family get togethers etc, but that's rarely used either. I need to get my enthusiasm for photography back, and learn some technique. I'm confident that I could set foot in most hockey rinks around the globe and get some decent photos, because that's all I do, but take me away from a hockey rink, and I don't seem to have the creative thought process to take interesting pictures. I travel a lot with my job (overseas about once a month), and want to start taking my camera to document these trips, but I don't "see" pictures like many of the talented photographers I see on here.

Can anyone recommend a way forward for me? I know that the obvious advice would be "get out, use your camera and take some photos", but I almost feel like I need some guidance or reason for going out and shooting. I've been looking to sign up for an online course, but there seem to be thousands to choose from...

Apologies for the vague posting, but any suggestions or help would be welcome!

Thanks

Mark.

Mar 17, 2013 at 05:28 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

There is nothing wrong with taking a break -- I'd let the camera gear sit for awhile and at some point you will miss it enough to start shooting again. Alternately, maybe go old school for awhile, get some B&W film and a simple camera and try something completely different.

Mar 17, 2013 at 05:43 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

When you are out and about do you ever feel an impulse to photograph things?

Mar 17, 2013 at 05:44 PM
Tredders
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

Thanks guys. I've made the decision that I'm stepping away from hockey though, and as they will now have a new team photographer, I'm happy to close that particular chapter.

Now I want to rekindle the love affair with photography that got me into all of this 10 years ago....

Paul - yes, I do feel the impulse to photograph things when I'm out, and going forwards I'm going to ensure that I have (at least) the X100 with me, however, I feel that I need some guidance on how to be more creative, or how to see things differently. From a technical point of view, I know my way around photography (to an extent) so it's not "and this is how you use manual mode" instruction I need. It's more the creative side...

Mar 17, 2013 at 05:49 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

Buy yourself secondhand M9 and some lens you like (I like 28mm length for example).

IMHO, fixed focal lenght and perhaps only one lens (which in case of Leica is best possible quality) might help starting to "see pictures". At least that always worked for me. That and Leica itself is quite helping in "I want to go out and take some pictures". Something that dSLRs kinda dont do for me.

Mar 17, 2013 at 06:05 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman is a pretty good read...

Mar 17, 2013 at 06:35 PM
Barry Gossage

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

A thousand years ago when I was taking college courses, a photography teacher suggested to us that no matter where you find yourself, city, rural, mountains, wherever... stop, stand in one place and turn in a circle, and while doing that take a half dozen shots. When you get back to the lab (I miss the "wet" process sometimes,) make some blowups of each one. Don't try for anything artsy-fartsy, just blow them up. In today's process you just load the images up on the computer and zoom in.

This is where getting creative really started for me. I spent some good time just looking at what I shot, and sure enough, I started mumbling about how I didn't notice this or that detail when I was standing there. Things like people, shadows, buildings, angles, colors, patterns... And it wasn't long after that, that I noticed I had an affinity for sweeping landscapes on one hand, and the textures of gnarly twisted wood on the other.

It seems like you're at a place where you haven't defined a style for yourself yet. Of course, that also means you haven't pidgin-holed yourself either. Go join a photography club. Get yourself around like-minded people. Watch what they're doing and see if something doesn't strike your fancy. Infra Red is very cool. Macro, wide angle, telephoto, architecture, fashion, figure studies, portraits, products, abstract... man, the world is your smorgasbord! Even if something doesn't feel particularly appealing to you, try it. You might like it!

Mar 17, 2013 at 06:36 PM
edl415
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

Nice first post, Barry! Welcome to FM.

Tredders, obviously you have a strong passion for hockey as you shot it for 9 years. Is there anything else that you have a particular liking for? Cars, urban decay, portraits, food, architecture? Reason I ask is because if you do, you could focus on shooting just those subjects for a month at a time - minature assignments if you will - to narrow down your focus and concentrate on a subject. The more you study this particular subject, the more you will find out about it. You will naturally find creative ways to capture it.

Just a thought.

Mar 17, 2013 at 07:05 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

Tredders: Set the camera;photragraphy aside for a few days/weeks, whatever. Clear you mind and when you are out and about, begin asking yourself if what you just saw/see would make a interesting photo.
Look for subjects that inserest you and take mental note of them, they are things you are interested in.
My mind is constantly seeing landscape and nature opportunities. When I have the family around me, I see many oportunities. It seems there are always opportunities for a good photograph, most of which I miss because the camera is not with me. But, the whole thing is to develope the appitite to use the camera.'
Since you are alread exposed to photography, I have a feeling you will find many interests to supplant hockey.
Good luck, enjoy the quest as it is quite fun.

Mar 17, 2013 at 07:18 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

Hi Mark,

The 90s were a blur to me, having a passion for photography; as hobby that started in 1970, I found myself buried in work, climbing the software design ladder, lost in bits n bytes with little if any time to shoot. That blur can happen when you continually shot the same thing as you have found out; programming, most endeavors can burn you out.

My suggestion...put your cameras; all of them, away. Start seeing, exploring, investigating life again, build that natural curiosity that is within, but is hidden from heart/spirit. Take a break from the pressure of 'having to get the shot'; force yourself not to shoot, just enjoy what unfolds before you...

You can give yourself permission to re-discover your passions for...life! Breathe deep, relax and have some fun. Resistance is not futile, it can be a teacher. As you become free from 'having to do/shoot' you will open back up to needing, not just wanting to photograph/create.

It's an old saying but...Stop and Smell the Roses...all of Life's

Best wishes on re-discovering this passion...
Jerry

Mar 17, 2013 at 07:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

I have a little different view than the ones saying put the camera down...my suggestion is, take the camera with you everywhere.
Since you travel a bit, won't be a bad idea to take a tripod as well, look up places to shoot...shoot the iconic locations, oft shot places..get up early..watch the sun rise, watch it set...see the reaction on peoples faces as the day starts and ends...it'll spark something in you.

Do something at a slower pace..landscape photos. You've been doing the people shots for the past 9 years and doing candid/people shot is kinda the same thing..its people again.

Mar 17, 2013 at 07:37 PM
ange
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

First of all, great hockey shots.

Here's an idea to consider. Maybe getting involved with a challenge site will lead you in a new direction. You can follow along officially and submit images or just follow along behind the scenes and shoot for them without submitting. Here's a good one. http://www.dpchallenge.com

I've always found challenges a great way to stretch you into thinking about creative shots and then going out and finding them or creating them. It's just a bit different than walking around and spotting shots you like.

Nothing wrong with that second way though. I do both and they result in different types of shooting, along with a couple of regular subjects I concentrate on.

Andy

Mar 17, 2013 at 07:42 PM
ange
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

Another idea (possibly)...do you like editing? If so, maybe this is a great time to concentrate on Photoshop skills rather than shooting.

Andy

Mar 17, 2013 at 07:57 PM
Tredders
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

Some superb suggestions there guys - thanks all for taking the time to reply

I actually really like Barry's idea of standing in one place and taking a half dozen photos in different directions, so as I have a day's vacation tomorrow, I'm going to try this. I'm also going to initially use the X100 - the 35mm fixed focal length may well work better for me for this. I'm also going to start looking at things with an eye for the kind of photo it would make, even when I don't have the camera with me.

As regards my interests - I love candid photography, so street photography and reportage-style both appeal to me. Having said that, I'm always in awe of many of the landscape shots I see posted on here, and we're lucky enough to live in the countryside with fields around (and a stunning Norman church near by), so that's an opportunity for me right on my doorstep.

Even just starting this thread and seeing the replies is making me want to go out and take photos, which is a feeling I've not had for a while - thanks again

Mar 17, 2013 at 07:58 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

I'm with jerry on this - give it up for a while and come back when you start to miss it. It's a hobby, and hobbies are supposed to be fun. If you have to force yourself to do it, its not fun.

They do say a change is as good as a rest though, so maybe a completely different style of shooting will work for you. When I was travelling a lot a few years ago I started up an "airports" project, just taking shots while waiting for planes. You could try that. You need to be fairly discreet though, if you want to avoid being arrested as a terrorist....

Mar 17, 2013 at 08:52 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

books!

http://www.amazon.com/Within-Frame-Journey-Photographic-Vision/dp/0321605020/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363580037&sr=1-5&keywords=david+duchemin

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0240809343/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p14_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=14K2XSPT7V49WX4VQNPQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

(this can be found as a free PDF):

http://www.amazon.com/Being-Photographer-Practical-Guide/dp/1888803061/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363580117&sr=1-1&keywords=on+being+a+photographer

http://www.amazon.com/The-Passionate-Photographer-Toward-Becoming/dp/0321719891/ref=pd_sim_b_13

http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Adams-Photography-Defense-Traditional/dp/0893813680/ref=pd_sim_b_6

and of course

http://www.amazon.com/Looking-Photographs-Pictures-Collection-Museum/dp/0870705156/ref=pd_sim_b_3

http://www.amazon.com/The-Photographers-Eye-John-Szarkowski/dp/087070527X/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Mar 18, 2013 at 04:17 AM
lucas lumiere
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

If you're interested in street photography, you should check out the Street Photography Now project on flickr. It's long since finished, but the gist of it is that there were weekly assignments given by many of the top contemporary street photographers and the goal was to shoot and submit new material every week that matched the brief. Maybe it would be a good idea to go through and do the briefs one by one, or even just the ones that appeal to you. You might also want to consider checking out the work of each photographer who gave the briefs, you'll find a variety of styles and maybe find some inspiration.

http://streetphotographynowproject.wordpress.com/

maybe check out the in-public group's website for some further inspiration.

http://www.in-public.com/

Good luck!

Mar 18, 2013 at 04:41 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

Great suggestions!

I would consider picking up a cheap EF film body and shooting some 35. If you want an awesome EF film body pick up an EOS 3.

Also try walks at magic hour whenever you can.

Mar 18, 2013 at 09:16 AM
greggn
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

Go in the opposite direction. Since you're no longer challenged or excited about shooting sports try shooting landscapes. The need to apply a different perspective will challenge you all over again.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Ferrophot
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · So what now? Help me with life after hockey shooting!

Are you interested in any other pursuits. I don't class myself as a photographer, I just enjoy photographing other things I'm interested in, trains, planes and wildlife. I know others who go for birds, landscapes and ships, another is an amateur chef and photographs her dishes. Take a break, see what happens.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password