Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How much to charge for a 6 hours photo shoot

jaehoppa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · How much to charge for a 6 hours photo shoot

My friends's friend asked me to take pictures of him and his fiance before their wedding and I have no clue how much to charge them.
I've only met him twice and I'm not a pro.
I think I'm ok but definitely not at pro level.
He asked me to do a 6-hour photo shoot in manhattan plus editing.
What is a reasonable price to charge him?
How much would an average wedding photographer charge?
thanks in advance.

Mar 17, 2013 at 05:24 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #2 · How much to charge for a 6 hours photo shoot

You would probably get better answers in the Wedding Photog forum. However, I know the photographer being used for my daughter's wedding charges an extra $500 for a 2 hour engagement shoot. Multiply by 3 = $1500.

Mar 17, 2013 at 08:07 PM
borderlight
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · How much to charge for a 6 hours photo shoot

The problem here is an inexperienced non-pro asking how to price a job like a pro would. I admire the OP's honesty, but your "fee" should in no way be on par with a guy like Sarsfeld mentioned. If you value the time, training, and cost of being a pro photographer, the job fee must be commensurate with experience backed-up with a good portfolio.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:40 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #4 · How much to charge for a 6 hours photo shoot

Frankly, I think you should do it for free, because I don't believe in practicing on paying customers.

<Chas>

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · How much to charge for a 6 hours photo shoot

1.6lb. Ribeye...Onion Rings...4 Dogfish Head 60min. IPAs...and $250...My standard rate

Jefferson

Mar 18, 2013 at 04:48 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #6 · How much to charge for a 6 hours photo shoot

Frankly, I think you should do it for free, because I don't believe in practicing on paying customers.

+1

An even better idea is to refer them to a professional photographer so the job gets done right.

John

Mar 18, 2013 at 04:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #7 · How much to charge for a 6 hours photo shoot

I tend to support John's and BluesWest answers above.

If they really want you to shoot them (all day!!) without support, without lights, without makeup, just wandering around and taking "snapshots" (because that is what you will be doing), be sure that they understand that's what they will be getting, and price yourself accordingly. Doing this type of thing in a manner that produces really good images takes a support crew (in my experience - at least 4 people) and that's why it is expensive. Locations, lights, reflectors, makeup, change clothes, and so forth.

If they expect you to process, edit, proof, and "make pretty" the resulting images after you take them, instead of just giving them an uncopyrighted disk, I would definately price that as it's own task, based on a specified number of images to be processed.....or you are liable to see a lot of time spent staring at a computer for very little or no return on your effort.

Gene

Mar 18, 2013 at 09:16 PM
alaman64

p.1 #8 · How much to charge for a 6 hours photo shoot

Every one has to start somewhere, why not with them. No one on this forum was born a pro, I'm sure most of us had no clue what we were doing on our first paid gig. My first wedding I did 4 years ago i charged $700 for 10 hours work plus a hour e-session. I was honest with the couple, told them this was my first wedding, showed them some of my other stuff. They decided to take a risk with me, mostly because they saved over $1,000 versus going with a pro. I did my research, practiced with my girl friend and in the end they were extremely happy with my work. I think an e-session is the perfect way to start, not as much pressure as a wedding where there are no re-takes.

i would take the job and charge them $30-$50/hour based on your equipment and experience.

If you do take t he job, believe in yourself, don't act wishy washy and unsure. The hardest part of an e-session is posing the couple and acting like you know what you're doing, cause they won't have a clue what to do.

Good luck

Mar 20, 2013 at 03:21 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #9 · How much to charge for a 6 hours photo shoot

I don't know about anyone else, but I practiced on non-paying "clients" enough that when I went to my first paying gig, I knew "what the f*ck" I was doing, without any doubts.

Anything less is still being an amateur. The minute you start charging, you must act, and deliver like a pro, period. No ifs ands or buts.

Sorry to sound like a dick but these are lessons I learned 30 and 40 years ago and that don't change just because it became easier to call yourself a "pro"

<Chas>

Mar 20, 2013 at 07:09 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #10 · How much to charge for a 6 hours photo shoot

cwebster wrote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I practiced on non-paying "clients" enough that when I went to my first paying gig, I knew "what the f*ck" I was doing, without any doubts.

Anything less is still being an amateur. The minute you start charging, you must act, and deliver like a pro, period. No ifs ands or buts.

Sorry to sound like a dick but these are lessons I learned 30 and 40 years ago and that don't change just because it became easier to call yourself a "pro"

<Chas>

Absolutely. The "everyone has got to start somewhere" credo only applies after being trained to shoot a simple wedding where expectations are low. The technical part is easier than handling groups of people efficiently and without problems. You think you know how to shoot one until you do. All you guys who are taking half of what a pro charges thinking you are giving the B&G a big break are delusional. Even shooting a wedding for free with no training is questionable. It's about people skills as much as it is camera skills. And don't even think about shooting a Jewish or Greek wedding or for anybody who will demand more of you than you signed up for. Weddings are fast-paced and high stress, at least in the heavily populated areas.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #11 · How much to charge for a 6 hours photo shoot

Part of this situation could be attributed to the buyer.

One of the things I derived from the initial post is the possibility that the couple thinks all photo projects come out the same, therefore, if they know someone who takes better pictures than they, then they're ahead by getting what they consider pro pictures for less. They don't for a minute think about whether they'll have any pictures at all, if, for instance, the one camera body that the photographer owns dies at the moment of truth.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:36 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password