New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · LR Smart Collection question

15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR Smart Collection question

Does anyone know if it is possible to use additional boolean operators with LR smart collections? I want to set up some collections where use of an "OR" would be very helpful. Examples would be a collection which contains pictures dated "2011 OR 2012", or images keyworded "mum OR dad".

I'm perhaps having a stupid day, but i can't see how to do it with the built-in operators.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Philip Flower

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR Smart Collection question

Do it in 2 stages. Create the smart collection and chose Match Any of the following rules and then put in 2 rules as required.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR Smart Collection question

Thanks Philip. Unfortunately that doesn't work if you have other rules also (which i do), but i found if you hold the alt key while the smart rules box is open, the "+" sign to add rules changes to "#" and you can add a second level nest of rules with a choice of overall conditions:

"Any of the following are true"
"All of the following are true"
"None of the following are true"

The option "Any of the following are true" is an "OR" statement.

Screenshot:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8565176773_322bf395f2_c.jpg

Edited on Mar 17, 2013 at 01:52 PM · View previous versions

Mar 17, 2013 at 01:28 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR Smart Collection question

15Bit wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to use additional boolean operators with LR smart collections? I want to set up some collections where use of an "OR" would be very helpful. Examples would be a collection which contains pictures dated "2011 OR 2012", or images keyworded "mum OR dad".

I'm perhaps having a stupid day, but i can't see how to do it with the built-in operators.

Create two rules in your rule set. For example if you want to make a Smart Collection for photos taken in 2011 or 2012, you can set it up like this:

http://i.imgur.com/exbxEYZ.jpg

You could also select Capture Date "is in the range" and define your date range.

For photos keyworded with either mum or dad, again two rules:

Match ALL of the following rules

Keywords contain mum
Keywords contain dad

Mar 17, 2013 at 01:34 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR Smart Collection question

James_N wrote:
Match ALL of the following rules

Keywords contain mum
Keywords contain dad

Thanks James. I don't think this works as an OR though - it works as an AND because both rules must be true. i.e. it only picks photos labelled with "mum" AND "dad". An OR operator would catch photos labelled only "mum" and only "dad" also.

I think i have the solution as detailed in the post above yours.

Mar 17, 2013 at 01:46 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR Smart Collection question

The method that James showed is potentially better in some way because it does not require that the capture date info already be transferred to a keyword.

You can combine it with the keyword method to find photos in your collection from any year(s) that do not have the capture date entered as a keyword.

It is very unfortunate that you cannot base smart collections on other smart collections but you can create a smart collection that reveals photos that are not in standard collection but ought to be in it.

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:20 AM
TheProducer

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR Smart Collection question

I'm not sure how it works for date and keyword types, but I know for Collection Name you can specify multiple values for the same operator just by separating them with a space. One I use, for example, is:

Collection Name Does Not Contain = a e i o u y 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Essentially this will return all images that are not in a collection (unless the collection is name rather obscurely). Away from my Lightroom at the moment, but from this I'd think:

Keywords Contains = mum dad

Would return any image with mum OR dad as a keyword. Not sure if that helps at all.

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:03 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.