Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       end

Archive 2013 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

aladyforty
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

Then I think I will hang onto them all, kind of have these love affairs with my three canons and a fuji X100 Although the 7D has been love and hate

I used the 7D again today, for the first time I processed in light-room and I already see the difference in the images...before this I got a few great shots in good light and that was it. today it was overcast but I managed to get reasonable shots with a lot less noise showing after post processing in light-room.

these are a couple I took today with 7D, nothing special but I feel bit more confident about using it now for when I need the cropping ability

first one was heavily cropped
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8525/8584140851_10440b7d9e_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8507/8585600572_6b79af7e00_o.jpg

Mar 24, 2013 at 05:50 AM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

I am searching to decide if I should sell my 7D and pick up the III now I am not soi sure after reading about the cropping. I do a lot of cropping and I must admit that eagle shot hear looks great and like the poster said if he was using the III he wouldn't have gotten it

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

aladyforty wrote:
I used the 7D again today, for the first time I processed in light-room and I already see the difference in the images...

I'm curious... what software were you using to process the 7D raws before you tried LR?

Mar 28, 2013 at 02:01 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

I like how LR maps out the hot pixels. I have quite a few on my 1diii sensor especially noticable during long exposures and LR does an excellent job of doing away with all of them.

Mar 28, 2013 at 02:12 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

tanglefoot47 wrote:
I am searching to decide if I should sell my 7D and pick up the III now I am not soi sure after reading about the cropping. I do a lot of cropping and I must admit that eagle shot hear looks great and like the poster said if he was using the III he wouldn't have gotten it

I just did a 7D vs 1D3 ISO comparison, as well as a FOV/resolution test over on POTN. Just remember not only is the 1D3 quite a bit less in the resolution department, it is also .3 less crop than a 7D. This means that not only do you need to crop something out of the 1D3 image to match what you see with a 7D, you then have to resize that crop up substantially, close to twice the size.

I don't care how good the 1D3 is (I have both), if you print large and are reach limited with the glass you have, the 1D3 route most likely isn't going to work well. If you have the optical reach, and you print large, you still need to upsize the image to match.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:53 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

TeamSpeed wrote:
I just did a 7D vs 1D3 ISO comparison, as well as a FOV/resolution test over on POTN. Just remember not only is the 1D3 quite a bit less in the resolution department, it is also .3 less crop than a 7D. This means that not only do you need to crop something out of the 1D3 image to match what you see with a 7D, you then have to resize that crop up substantially, close to twice the size.

I don't care how good the 1D3 is (I have both), if you print large and are reach limited with
...Show more

When everyone keeps mentioning the file sizes and cropping ability, I think it's also of merit to mention that the wider field of view does offer some advantages that aren't related to magnification or the ultimate size in printability. The benefits of the larger sensor allow greater depth of field control, cleaner files and easier ability to frame and compose a shot. Not everybody needs or wants to print larger than 8x11 or even 5x7 in which that case, the 1diii does just fine. I found the real advantage offered in the 1diii is its speed of operation and initial AF acquisition. The 1 series ergonomics are a real pleasure in use. There are a couple of items I do wish the 1diii had though which are offered in the 7d. The high res lcd, spot AF points, and orientation linked AF points are the big ones. Other than that, the 1diii offers me more in it's overall package for what I like to shoot.

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:06 AM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

Ernie Aubert wrote:
I'm curious... what software were you using to process the 7D raws before you tried LR?

DPP and photoshop, it was tedious as well

Mar 29, 2013 at 09:43 AM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

RogerC11 wrote:
When everyone keeps mentioning the file sizes and cropping ability, I think it's also of merit to mention that the wider field of view does offer some advantages that aren't related to magnification or the ultimate size in printability. The benefits of the larger sensor allow greater depth of field control, cleaner files and easier ability to frame and compose a shot. Not everybody needs or wants to print larger than 8x11 or even 5x7 in which that case, the 1diii does just fine. I found the real advantage offered in the 1diii is its speed of operation and initial
...Show more

1DIII files are so nice but the crop-ability is an issue, least from my experience. I took this the other day with the 1DIII and was cursing the fact that Id left the 7D at home, this was as far as I could crop in without the file looking bad

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8249/8576660567_c9f5345974_o.jpg

Mar 29, 2013 at 09:49 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

aladyforty wrote:
DPP and photoshop, it was tedious as well

I usually deal with noise in LR and use PS to sharpen. The selection and sharpening tools and options offered in PS are of great value especially when working with layers. Far better than any sharpening available in either dpp or LR imo. LR is awesome for noise reduction and mapping out hot pixels however and my go to program for long exposures.

Mar 29, 2013 at 09:53 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

Can any of you comment from experience about how noise reduction compares between LR (ACR if that's what people generally mean when they mention NR in LR; I haven't explored LR processing yet, just cataloging) and Topaz Labs DeNoise?

Mar 29, 2013 at 05:20 PM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Can any of you comment from experience about how noise reduction compares between LR (ACR if that's what people generally mean when they mention NR in LR; I haven't explored LR processing yet, just cataloging) and Topaz Labs DeNoise?

I tried topaz denoise but prefer lightroom, just my opinion though

Apr 27, 2013 at 04:43 AM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

Rodger how are you finding the 1DIII now? Im keeping both the 1DIII and 7D. Both are great but to be honest I still prefer the 1DIII, wish I could afford 1D4

Apr 27, 2013 at 04:44 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

I picked up another 7d off the B&S after finding myself sorely missing the features offered by it. Mainly the high resolution, size, lcd, spot AF and orientation linked AF. Like I said before, I was never one to find the 7d noise objectionable after processing through PS. I sold the 1diii off to a lucky forum member and I'm back to using the 7d. In the end, being able to use both cameras has been a valuable experience for me. I'd be reluctant to go back now unless it's for a 1div or 5diii.

Apr 27, 2013 at 09:19 AM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

RogerC11 wrote:
I picked up another 7d off the B&S after finding myself sorely missing the features offered by it. Mainly the high resolution, size, lcd, spot AF and orientation linked AF. Like I said before, I was never one to find the 7d noise objectionable after processing through PS. I sold the 1diii off to a lucky forum member and I'm back to using the 7d. In the end, being able to use both cameras has been a valuable experience for me. I'd be reluctant to go back now unless it's for a 1div or 5diii.

Yeah I understand the issues with resolution, I still prefer the 1DIII files over 7D but I find myself picking up the 7D more the the 1DIII. I am starting to look on the 1DIII as my backup portrait, macro camera and I just deal with the 7D noise issues, I have got better with processing them now. Thought about selling the 1DIII but it was just so good during a recent wedding I shot that I decided to keep it, its not a problem to have extra cameras around our house. between the hubs and me there are 5 DSLRs in our home

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:15 PM
form
• • • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

My experience has told me...never go back to older technology after having newer.

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:18 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

RogerC11 wrote:
So I just recently sold my 7d for a 1diii. I shoot mainly birds and in flight. The move was primarily motivated by the promise of faster, more accurate AF in both one shot and AI servo mode. I just purchased a 1diii on the B&S forums and await its arrival this coming week. I am just a bit nervous as to whether I will be missing out on the resolution/reach of the 7d or if the advantage is mainly overblown. My longest lens is 400mm and crop very often but I never print larger than 8x11. Am I going
...Show more

Possibly. The 7D while a bit dodgy for me for field sports actually did well for surfing and birds and it has REACH. One of the mods on POTN doesn't seem all that taken by the 1D3 AF for birds.

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:26 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

uz2work wrote:
I'll start with an observation. For 3-4 years, the echo chamber that most forums, including this one, generally are seemed to relish constantly bashing the 1D Mark III. Now, a few years later, the 1D Mark III seems to have become a classic camera that is capable of getting great shots in any situation. As someone who enjoyed shooting a 1D Mark III for 2 1/2 years, I thought it was a fantastic camera then, and I think it is still an excellent camera now.

That said, I'll buck the trend of the posts in this thread so far. For
...Show more

+1

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:29 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

RogerC11 wrote:
Thanks Tam, that is reassuring. Since 400mm 5.6L is my longest lens at the moment, I am curious as how how the performance would be coupled with the Canon 1.4xII TC. I have been thinking about adding the 1.4x because having a 1d body I would be able to retain AF at f/8 but is it even worth trying for BIF or does the AF slow down too much?

I don't know if anything here is of any help:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=15873212#post15873212

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:41 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

RogerC11 wrote:

Ah interesting. Can't same I'm shocked. I have a 5D3 alone now and I do miss the 7D a bit for birds. The 1D3 does have wonderful tonality but making up for 1.3 vs 1.6 crop and 10MP vs a trace soft 18MP is a ridiculous amount when talking reach limited scenarios. The 7D is also a touch more efficient per sensor area too.

Also for those upset by noise in blue skies after sharpening. NIK has that great deal on the package of tools and their sharpener lets you sharpen everything BUT the sky with literally just a few clicks. Select by color, click the blue sky color and slide amount down to 0% and then it does only weak sharpening on the sky even if you crank it up otherwise.

Apr 28, 2013 at 07:46 PM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

skibum5 wrote:
Ah interesting. Can't same I'm shocked. I have a 5D3 alone now and I do miss the 7D a bit for birds. The 1D3 does have wonderful tonality but making up for 1.3 vs 1.6 crop and 10MP vs a trace soft 18MP is a ridiculous amount when talking reach limited scenarios. The 7D is also a touch more efficient per sensor area too.

Also for those upset by noise in blue skies after sharpening. NIK has that great deal on the package of tools and their sharpener lets you sharpen everything BUT the sky with literally just a few clicks.
...Show more

all this sounds very obvious when I read it the way you have put it, this is why I've chosen to keep both, and use 1DIII where I don't need to crop much or at all, wonderful camera but no good unless I had a 700 lens at least for small birds or anything needing really long reach but stunning in other areas. while I don't love the 7D I'm happy to work with it and actually want to always have a 1.6 crop camera

Apr 29, 2013 at 06:20 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.