Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2013 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

So I just recently sold my 7d for a 1diii. I shoot mainly birds and in flight. The move was primarily motivated by the promise of faster, more accurate AF in both one shot and AI servo mode. I just purchased a 1diii on the B&S forums and await its arrival this coming week. I am just a bit nervous as to whether I will be missing out on the resolution/reach of the 7d or if the advantage is mainly overblown. My longest lens is 400mm and crop very often but I never print larger than 8x11. Am I going to miss the 7d?

Mar 17, 2013 at 08:22 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

Possibly, but give it time as the 1D3 is a very likeable camera. Good luck in getting to know yours.

Mar 17, 2013 at 08:49 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

The 1d3 is a better overall camera in every way except resolution. You'll learn to love it for those things, I think. People get so fixated on resolution but there are other qualities to a sensor than the number of light gathering diodes!

Mar 17, 2013 at 09:32 AM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

I have a feeling it will be a give and take. If you found yourself cropping quite closely on a 7D you may well miss the reach but if you've been missing focus on shots then the AF accuracy and tracking may make up for it. As Paul said give yourself some time and experience with it.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

No worries. I used a 1DIII and 7D together for a couple of years. The 1DIII consistently had more keepers and better IQ, when you didn't need much cropping. I figured the 7D would be a great companion, because its much higher pixel density would allow more cropping, but the 7D IQ rapidly suffers as you 'zoom in' on it.

IMO, the only cameras better for BIF and other fast action are the 1DX and 1DIV, both of which I now use.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM
NDP_2010
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

at first i missed the high res lcd, but faster af and more fps is great and the body is so nice.
The shallower dof of 1.3 crop is also alot nicer.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

I had a 1DIII and a 7D concurrently. I sold my 7D because I like the files from the 1DIII better. To my eye the 1DIII has much better tonality and occasionally the 7D had a lot of noise in blue sky background, even at lower ISOs. With all the PP I had to do on 7D shots, that same PP (well similar time but not the same settings) could be used on 1DIII shots to make them even better as well.

What really surprised me was how little the difference there was was between 1DIII and 1DIV output. I typically crop quite a bit as well. Using a stuffed animal as an example of a "bird", I shot with both cameras and then uprezzed the 1DIII output to the same size as the 1DIV, then cropped both photos the same, as I might normally do. Did the 1DIV have a resolution advantage? Yes, but not by as much as you might think.

I kept my 1DIII and the 7D and 1DIV were sold -something that you don't often hear; but, the tonality, speed and the smaller easy to handle files of the 1DIII were important to me.

Here is a typical 1DIII crop of a Greater Woodcreeper. Holds up well, certainly for an 8X11.

The background needs a little noise reduction still, but the details are there.

Mar 17, 2013 at 01:19 PM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

I too moved from a 7D to a MKiii and never once regretted it. As others have said, files were very pleasing and AF was much improved, in my opinion.

Mar 17, 2013 at 02:15 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

onegreatcity wrote:
I too moved from a 7D to a MKiii and never once regretted it. As others have said, files were very pleasing and AF was much improved, in my opinion.

It's often a point of contention on this (and other) forum. IMO, it reduces down to personal preference, most noticed when pixel peeping. But, since I do this all the time it makes me happy I'm not looking at a 7D file!

Mar 17, 2013 at 02:19 PM
Chris B.
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

I doubt you'll regret it at all.

I went from a 1D Mark III to a 7D about 3 years ago, and it took me about 6 months to realize I made a big mistake. I subsequently sold the 7D, picked up a great1DIV, and then also added another 1DIII. The dynamic range is what pushed me back to the Series 1 not to mention the outstanding high ISO performance.

Mar 17, 2013 at 03:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jj_glos
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

I went from a 7D to a 1D3 when I was shooting a lot of football and rugby. The AF is a step up and the handling of the 1D body is great. I can't personally say that the 1D3 files are better, but then I only worry about output be it print or online. I did eventually sell the 1D3 when I stopped shooting events. I've got another 7D now (lots of other cameras in between) which I prefer for airshows over the 1D3 for the extra reach and crop ability.

Mar 17, 2013 at 03:04 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

I sold my 7D for a 1D MK III a couple of years back. Best decision I've made.

Mar 17, 2013 at 04:27 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

Hi Roger, you might find this recent topic interesting reading/viewing, I was interested in feedback on the 1D3 vs the 18mp sensor of the 60D/7D, Jim/Gunzorro and others painted a pretty clear picture...hope this helps ease your angst

1D3 10MP vs. APS-C 18MP
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187223/0

Mar 17, 2013 at 05:31 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

I'll start with an observation. For 3-4 years, the echo chamber that most forums, including this one, generally are seemed to relish constantly bashing the 1D Mark III. Now, a few years later, the 1D Mark III seems to have become a classic camera that is capable of getting great shots in any situation. As someone who enjoyed shooting a 1D Mark III for 2 1/2 years, I thought it was a fantastic camera then, and I think it is still an excellent camera now.

That said, I'll buck the trend of the posts in this thread so far. For a period of time, I simultaneously owned and used a 1D Mark III and a 7D. When I bought my 1D Mark IV, I sold the 1D Mark III and kept the 7D. My decision and my satisfaction with that decision is not meant to invalidate the logic of those who made the opposite decision. Instead, I think that a preference for one of these cameras over the other can depend significantly on the intended uses of the camera.

As a wildlife shooter, I took pictures with the 1D Mark III that required moderate cropping, and I made 11x17 prints from those cropped 1D Mark III files. At the time, I thought that those prints looked very good; however, when I compare them to similar sized prints made from my 7D files, there is no comparison, and the 7D prints show significantly more detail that is easily seen with only a very casual comparison. Cropping a 1D Mark III file down to the same field of view as that of an uncropped 7D file leaves you with only about 6-7 megapixels. Even if individual 1D Mark III pixels are of a higher quality than individual 7D pixels, I'll take, without question, 18 million 7D pixels over 6 or 7 million 1D Mark III pixels. If my shooting didn't often require cropping or if I wasn't interested in printing at larger sizes or if my only interest was web viewing, I could find good reason for preferring the 1D Mark III over the 7D, but, with an interest in being able to print at moderately large sizes and often with a need for cropping, the 7D performs noticeably better for me.

With regard to noise and high ISO performance, the 1D Mark III may well be better at the pixel level, but, at the image level, which is the only comparison that is of any importance to me, picking the camera that does better with noise is pretty much of a toss up. I process my 7D files in an identical manner to the way that I processed my 1D Mark III files, which is also the same way that I process my 1D Mark IV files, and I don't see the files from any of these cameras requiring me to do anything special in the way of processing.

With regard to AF, the 1D Mark III may well have a marginally more capable AF system. My judgment would be that my 1D Mark IV has a better AF system than either the 1D Mark III or the 7D and that the 1D Mark III and 7D both have AF systems that are better than that of the 1D Mark II that I once owned. Yet, my in-focus keeper rate while shooting action with any of those 4 cameras has been virtually identical. That is because, I think, whatever relatively minor differences in the AF capabilities that might exist are so much of a less important factor in determining whether I get my shots than is the technique that I bring to the table. With any of these cameras, when I've done my job properly, I've gotten the shots, and, when I haven't done my part, I haven't gotten them. I cannot recall a single instance where I can honestly attribute shortcomings in the AF capabilities of any of these cameras as being the reason why I failed to get my shots.

Finally, my guess would be that anyone who makes a decision to choose either one of these cameras over the other is likely to be pleased with that choice because it would appear that a part of human nature and forum postings is such that we all find ways to rationalize why the equipment choices we have made are the "right" ones, and that is likely the primary reason why we frequently see people saying in their posts "I sold my x camera body and bought y camera body. And I haven't looked back because it was the best decision I've ever made".

Les

Edited on Mar 17, 2013 at 06:02 PM · View previous versions

Mar 17, 2013 at 05:34 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

Thanks Jerry, I did infact read that post in it's entirety when he first posted it and appreciate the reference as it's very relevant to the discussion. From what I gather not only from that post, but from many other comparisons online is when the 1diii frame is cropped down to match the 7d field of view, the image quality is nearly indistinguishable with just different noise patterns. The interesting thing is that in all of the comparisons, none of them ever show how the 1diii stacks up when it needs to match the field of view of a cropped 7d frame which in theory, should show even further degradation of the 1diii file in relation to the 7d file. Say for example if the 7d frame needs a 50% crop, how would a 1diii file look when cropped down that small? Unfortunately, I imagine the degradation is not linear, but rather exponential. I have yet to see evidence of that yet though and it just my theory.

Mar 17, 2013 at 05:41 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

Excellent post, Les. You bring up some very good points. For me, I never print larger than 8x11 just because that is the largest my printer is capable of and have no interest at the current moment to print anything larger as most of my photos are shared and displayed online or in my home in 8x11 frames or smaller.

I wonder at what size the megapixel advantage starts to become apparent? I have prints from my old 1dmkiiN and t2i which look to be of the same quality up to 8x11.

Mar 17, 2013 at 05:46 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

RogerC11 wrote:
Excellent post, Les. You bring up some very good points. For me, I never print larger than 8x11 just because that is the largest my printer is capable of and have no interest at the current moment to print anything larger as most of my photos are shared and displayed online or in my home in 8x11 frames or smaller.

I wonder at what size the megapixel advantage starts to become apparent? I have prints from my old 1dmkiiN and t2i which look to be of the same quality up to 8x11.

You are absolutely right. In an 8x10 print with minimal cropping, I don't imagine you are going to see much difference, and, in web-sized files, you aren't likely to see much difference. It is when cropping is more extreme and when the desired output is larger prints that the difference becomes more apparent.

The picture below isn't a particularly good picture, but I think it demonstrates the point. The first version is the full frame as captured with the 7D. You can see that the bird(s) are only taking up a very small portion of the frame. The second version was made from a 100% crop from the full image. While it isn't a picture that I would choose to print, I think that, considering the extent of the crop, the sharpness and detail are pretty darn good. I guarantee that, had I taken the same picture with the 1D Mark III, it would have immediately gone into trash.

Les

Mar 17, 2013 at 06:14 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

RogerC11 wrote:
So I just recently sold my 7d for a 1diii. I shoot mainly birds and in flight. The move was primarily motivated by the promise of faster, more accurate AF in both one shot and AI servo mode. I just purchased a 1diii on the B&S forums and await its arrival this coming week. I am just a bit nervous as to whether I will be missing out on the resolution/reach of the 7d or if the advantage is mainly overblown. My longest lens is 400mm and crop very often but I never print larger than 8x11. Am I going
...Show more

I owned both and 1D III was usually my go to camera, but I had the luxury of owning a 500 f/4. With a 400mm I'd mainly use the 7D, but if I wasn't FL limited or at least not too much, the I'd still often use the 1D III with 400mm and indeed it's AF IMO is just better in most areas, and that's not detracting from the 7D which is very good.

I'm sure this will come up, so I'll add my 2c. Yes the 1D III is cleaner at the pixel level and produces very nice files to ISO 3200, but the 7D actually holds up very well, especially if at higher ISO you downrezz the file to 10MP. AT low ISO it's hard to beat the 7D's detail if you can make use of the full 18MP, but for 10MP the 1D III is very good and you won't be disappointed. If you can somehow swing some extra Fl down the track the 1D III will really shine for birding.

Edited on Mar 17, 2013 at 09:44 PM · View previous versions

Mar 17, 2013 at 09:40 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

I sold me 1dIII for the 7d. I use some of the newer features on the 7d and rarely shoot sports or need the more rugged weather sealing. For me, the 7d meets my needs and I saved a few bucks. There are things that the 1dIII is better at and a few that it isn't. They are both great cameras.

Mar 17, 2013 at 09:42 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sold my 7d for a 1dIII. Anxiety....

Yes, I intend to pick up a 500 f4 IS vers.1 by next year.

Mar 17, 2013 at 09:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password