New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How to transport / store you QFlash

Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to transport / store you QFlash

I just purchased a QFlash and wonder what everyone uses to carry and or store their Qflash system in. I use Think Tank Lighting Fast pouches for my Speedlites. I'm think of a hard briefcase type case for the Qflash but would like a smaller soft case for it but I'm unaware of any that are set up for it with the reflector and battery.

Mar 16, 2013 at 09:55 PM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to transport / store you QFlash

I use a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW II Camera Backpack to store my complete 3 light Q-Flash system. The inserts will shape to hold each flash with reflectors attached.
In addition to the 3 flash's it carries 2 SC's and a Turbo, chargers, Pilot, Co-Pilot, 3 QBC stand clamps, my grids, alkaline batteries, and cords, etc...
In the large outer pocket, I can carry the Small Quantum softbox and a collapsible umbrella.
I bought the Trekker on FM used and can carry my complete system to a shoot in one trip.
If you have just one Q-flash, I'd recommend maybe Lowepro Mini-Trekker that should hold all the accessories you need.

Mar 17, 2013 at 08:38 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to transport / store you QFlash

I have separate lighting systems (different needs/situations) and like to use hardside or softside roller cases. Each system is "ready to go" and I simply grab the right case and lightstands and modifiers and go.

I store my Qflashes in a hardside Pelican style case. Dividers safely hold two Qs, 2 turbos, 1 sc, chargers, sync cords, PWs and small accessories.

ken

Mar 17, 2013 at 09:29 AM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to transport / store you QFlash

Here's a quick pic of my bag...
http://www.grapevinephoto.com/fm/photo.JPG

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to transport / store you QFlash

I use a Pelican 1510 hard-sided case with wheels. Works great.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:28 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to transport / store you QFlash

Steve Wylie wrote:
I use a Pelican 1510 hard-sided case with wheels. Works great.

The same.. I have 3 T5Dr units and associated Xwire modules, battery's, reflectors, gels, etc.. I have also fashioned a small tin collar to insert inside each of the heads to give a small amount of protection to the bare bulb as the reflectors are not suited to be encased and moved attached with any reasonable space savings for packing/moving kit. The $90.00 per bulb will encourage enthusiastic and thoughtful ideas.

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:01 PM
Mr645
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to transport / store you QFlash

I have an old green Canon camera bag that I fit 3 Q-flashes in, along with various cords and reflectors. I am using the X series so my Norman 400b batteries are in another case

Mar 26, 2013 at 04:00 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to transport / store you QFlash

I've often wondered about the best way of doing this, so here is what I do:

One Qflash Trio I carry in my camera bag ( Tamrac Expedition 9 ) with the wide angle diffuser attached. A couple of FW9T's and FW8R's accompany this along with a Pilot and CoPilot. For one flash, I'd look to keeping it with your camera equipment.

I have three other T5d-R's in a shoulder bag (Tamrac 614) along with 3 stands, batteries, grids, a couple of 19" softboxes and a couple of Wescott collapsible umbrellas and cables. These T5d-R's have radio's and swivel adapters fitted in the open position with the regular diffusers fitted. Theres not much space left with all this in one bag so theres nothing padding the equipment. Sensible packing using the soft items next to the hard items helps. I'm considering switching these to a Pelican 1600, as I think I'll be able to get 4 of these together in one case.

I then have two sets of 2X 400ws packs/heads in Pelican 1600 cases with partition inserts, again with stands, umbrellas, a spare battery for each of the packs, cables, transmitter and a sports reflector each. Each of the kits are the same.

I also have a 400ws X5d-R and Qpaq ready fitted to a stand ready to use without a case. This gets used quite a lot.

I like to have each kit containing stands, but I do take heavier duty stands if I think they might be required or if I'm using large softboxes, but essentially, each kit is self contained.

Whatever bag or case you use it needs to fit into your workflow or the environment you're working in. Carrying heavy cases a distance can be hard work where shoulder bags are easier. Wheeled cases are better - only if the wheels will work. Sometimes having the time to set up lighting is a luxury not afforded - hence my setup with the permanent flash/stand combo..

I have cases which will carry 3 or 4 sets of the 400ws head/packs; 3 in a Pelican 1610 case OR Lightware 1623 case.. or 4 in a Tamrac 660 Rolling Studio. Each are good, but fully loaded they get to the point of being difficult to handle (heavy) and the soft shelled cases (with zips) are less durable (but also less utilitarian looking). Between the Tamrac and Lightware, the Tamrac is easier to use with it having the built-in wheels and the straps fitted to the lid rather than the add-on wheels and wrap around straps of the Lightware coupled with the Multimate wheeled base.

Not broken a tube yet with any of these setups..

Mar 26, 2013 at 05:02 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.