Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

pokemanyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

Mar 16, 2013 at 04:10 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

Or maybe B & W is more to your liking? ( Which I don't do very much of )

Mar 16, 2013 at 04:21 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

I'm not quite liking the lighting in this.

Mar 16, 2013 at 09:04 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

You are getting better. In my opinion, you have gone from some of some of the worst lighting I have seen to poor lighting. I think you have put some thought into the direction of the light (you have raised the light a bit), but you still haven't considered the quality of the light. Your light is harsh and (if you'll excuse the expression) ugly. This is the best I've seen from you, so there is some hope. Studio lighting can be a challenge, but to be successful, you have to anticipate what the camera will "see." Why not find some natural light that looks good to you and try that? Please keep posting. I like seeing the progress.

Mar 16, 2013 at 09:20 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

gome1122 wrote:
I'm not quite liking the lighting in this.

I know, it's a little off. I held the light meter too low for one thing. Instead of just under the chin I should have held it higher up.

Mar 17, 2013 at 05:43 AM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

elliotkramer wrote:
You are getting better. In my opinion, you have gone from some of some of the worst lighting I have seen to poor lighting. I think you have put some thought into the direction of the light (you have raised the light a bit), but you still haven't considered the quality of the light. Your light is harsh and (if you'll excuse the expression) ugly. This is the best I've seen from you, so there is some hope. Studio lighting can be a challenge, but to be successful, you have to anticipate what the camera will "see." Why not find
...Show more

Thanks for the critique. I'm experimenting and not afraid to put it out there. As far as " Why not find some natural light that looks good to you and try that? I don't give up that's why.

I once took my motorcycle apart for repair. I mean down to the individual gears, washers etc.
I had it all laid out on a table for over a year while I was slowly able to buy what I needed.It took me ten times of total motorcycle assembly to get it to shift right.

Ten times of totally taking the entire thing apart and re-assembling it. I got it right in the end. I don't give up.

It's also a bit amusing to me that I was able to read your post but it was because I wasn't logged in.
You see you are one of the 3-4 people I have hidden on FM.
I'm going to unhide you now.

So I guess there's hope for you also.

Mar 17, 2013 at 05:52 AM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

Here's a B & W using the Gorman action which I learned about from a post by bbourizk

Mar 17, 2013 at 06:59 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

I think the background needs to be dark for this effect.
Douglas

Mar 17, 2013 at 08:51 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

Hey mate,
I'll go for nay here, i use the odd snoot but not for a main. It's casting an ugly shadow across the face.
As Douglas pointed out I think a dark background will work better if a snoot is what you want to use.

Now I'm no expert at this lighting business but what i do know is you can get some great images with one light and often shoot this way a lot. I have found that the bigger the softbox, umbrella etc. on that light the better light you will get on your subject. Add a little fill light by using a reflector and your good to go.

You might have seen a few posts by Devisor, his work is stunning, when people ask him what light source he uses he simply says 1 light, if i'm not mistaken he uses a large PML from PC buff, the guy who makes alien bees.

Below pic illustrates what i'm trying to say.
One large stripbox camera right and a large reflector camera left.
http://studio102.net/uploads/violette/1.jpg
anyway maybe i've rambled on too much and you only wanted critique on the snoot

How do you like the Gorman action?
did you play a little with it or just left it at default? I typically adjust the color fill layer so it's not too dark and also adjust levels and curves a bit.

Hope to see more good work from you.

Regards
Bud

Mar 17, 2013 at 09:53 AM
S.n.a.p.s
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

I say throw the light meter away and shoot tethered.

Here is my attempt.

http://duann.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Louai-creative-studio.jpg

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

The snoot is "aimed" at a part of the face, lighting it at the expense of other parts. And as bbourizk says, casts an ugly shadow. I see no reason for that part of the face to be featured.

I've also got to agree in principle about the use of the snoot as an auxiliary light rather than a main. (Not that I have experience with the snoot, just that it makes sense to me).

Mar 17, 2013 at 02:51 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

douter wrote:
I think the background needs to be dark for this effect.
Douglas

Thanks for commenting Douglas.

Mar 17, 2013 at 03:55 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

Thanks for the post bbourizk. You didn't ramble too much

As to the Gorman action I just ran the default for now but I got it in my toolbox for the future so thanks for that.

Mar 17, 2013 at 03:58 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

That's better then mine S.N.A.P.S.
I can't agree about the meter though.

Mar 17, 2013 at 04:00 PM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

Jim Rickards wrote:
The snoot is "aimed" at a part of the face, lighting it at the expense of other parts. And as bbourizk says, casts an ugly shadow. I see no reason for that part of the face to be featured.

I've also got to agree in principle about the use of the snoot as an auxiliary light rather than a main. (Not that I have experience with the snoot, just that it makes sense to me).

It was just an experiment, nothing more. In part I tried it because of this pic which I do like.

Mar 17, 2013 at 04:03 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

Massive improvement from your posts of a couple months ago! Keep at it.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

This image is deceptive to the casual viewer. What throws it off is that the background completely obliterates it. It's also true that the aim of the snoot is a bit low, but that's fixable with a little dodging and burning. I actually like the light on the face, after it has been futzed with. I made a version with a darker gradated background and face fixed, as it were (nothing at all "wrong" with your face). You can make an argument for exactly how you'd want to treat the background, but this is just a quick replacement to show how much the image is transformed and the the personality comes out - all but telling you eye where to go. So, you've really made even greater strides than you thought, just didn't know it yet. Oh, and don't forget to start embedding your working space profile in the image. This one was untagged RGB.

Mar 18, 2013 at 01:06 AM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

ChiShutter wrote:
Massive improvement from your posts of a couple months ago! Keep at it.

Thanks!
I ain't stopping anytime soon

Mar 18, 2013 at 04:59 AM
pokemanyz
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

Peter Figen wrote:
This image is deceptive to the casual viewer. What throws it off is that the background completely obliterates it. It's also true that the aim of the snoot is a bit low, but that's fixable with a little dodging and burning. I actually like the light on the face, after it has been futzed with. I made a version with a darker gradated background and face fixed, as it were (nothing at all "wrong" with your face). You can make an argument for exactly how you'd want to treat the background, but this is just a quick replacement to
...Show more

Huge difference! Thanks for that.
I'll see if I can figure the working space profile embedding out. I assume it's going to be a setting available when I save for web.

Mar 18, 2013 at 05:01 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Gridded snoot shot Yay or Nay?

"I'll see if I can figure the working space profile embedding out. I assume it's going to be a setting available when I save for web."

Yes, there's a checkbox in SFW in include your profile, which should be sRGB for online viewing.

I forgot to add, that in the version I made, because of your super bright background, that background itself becomes a secondary light source, which in this case, is perfect. It looks like a nice, well controlled kicker light coming in from the left. Unfortunately, if you had lit yourself with a much darker background, that important kicker, and it is important to the feel of the image, would be all but missing, so you would have to add that in with a third light, mimicking what you see now.

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.