Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon 180mm f/2.8D vs Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 XR Di LD ...

RKH
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 180mm f/2.8D vs Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 XR Di LD [IF] Macro

I've had a Nikon 180mm f/2.8D for a number of years and think it is one of Nikon's oft overlooked great lenses (but they have a long list of those). I recently acquired a Tamron 180mm f/3.5 (D) macro for a good price. If it weren't for the macro and the almost 10 inches (25cm) of working distance from the end of the lens at 1:1 It would be a no brainer. The Nikon is relatively small and light for a pro quality f/2.8 telephoto. The Tamron is longer, heavier, and unless you prefocus close to your focus point, well let's just say there is a lot going on between 1:1 and infinity. They are both screw drive and make some noise. If the Tamron is focused at 10 feet and your subject is at 9 feet, the two lenses are close in focusing speed. The bokeh on both is nice.
Anyway, I was just curious if anyone has had experience with both lenses and would care to share their thought on the comparison between the two.
I'd like to keep both, but financially unreasonable so one has to go.
Thanks,
Kim

Mar 16, 2013 at 07:50 PM
penghai
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 180mm f/2.8D vs Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 XR Di LD [IF] Macro

The Tamron is a great macro lens for macro and close ups. Macro lenses are known for slow AF because they need to be focused at much finer steps than normal lenses.

From your description, you don't seem to need the macro/close up shots. Unless that's an area you want to get into, I'd suggest you to sell the Tamron and you may also make a minor profit.

Eric

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:09 PM
photosmile
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 180mm f/2.8D vs Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 XR Di LD [IF] Macro

Hi Kim,
How are you doing? I bought the Nikon 20mm lens from you awhile back.
Anyway, I have both lenses and I like them both. On my D600 and D300, the Nikon lens
focuses quicker and quieter. The Tamron will take awhile to focus from infinity to closer object.
But they both are nice. If you are into macro photography, then it's make sense to keep the Tamron
and sale the Nikon. I will gave up the Tamron before the Nikon just because I have the Nikon 105VR lens.
Duc

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:12 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password