New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Macbook Air vs. Macbook Pro Retina

Tim Carpenter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Macbook Air vs. Macbook Pro Retina

I currently have a 2.0Ghz, I7 quad core MBP (early 2011). I use this for work and photography. First, I'm finding the laptop to be just too heavy for frequent travel and would like something lighter. I will be running PS (possibly finally switching to LR), and then possibility bootcamp for windows during the day job.

I have a friend who does a lot of video work and say he now does all on his MBA. Would the MBA be adequate for photo processing? I've done all of the photo work on a laptop for the past several years with a high quality external display. I lean toward the MBP Retina as it does have some expansion capability and is also a pretty light weight machine.

I appreciate and thoughts/comments. I should add that a big part of the reason for down sizing is also to make it easier to take my photo equipment and computer in one carry on photo backpack when traveling for pleasure.

Thanks for any wisdom!

Mar 16, 2013 at 09:12 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Macbook Air vs. Macbook Pro Retina

The mac book air with the fasted I7 will be the same speed as your current machine. The Retina is not really expandable memory and storage are what you buy for life.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Macbook Air vs. Macbook Pro Retina

Actually the macbook air will be considerably slower for photography due to the video card. I have the 17 from 2009, the 11 mac Air and the 15" Retina. The two latter machines are run through a 27" thunderbolt monitor and I find the 11" (my favorite all around machine) really slows down in both Capture One and Aperture to the point that I would not really use it for any photo editing. The old 17 runs a bit faster in fact (upgraded to SSD drives)
The Retina is not upgradeable for memory (I bought mine with 16 gig for that reason) but the hard drive IS upgradeable.

btw, I also have a 13" which my daughter uses ... but I really wonder how anyone can edit with such low resolution. Anything is doable ... but the 13mba is a poor choice imho for the lousy 1440x900 resolution. You 17 screen is fantastic for that, don't underestimate the fact - because lugging a Macbook Air AND a 27" monitor ... really sucks!

Mar 16, 2013 at 05:21 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Macbook Air vs. Macbook Pro Retina

The new Retina Pro 13" only weighs 0.6 lbs more than an 13" Air. Also, the Air is due for an upgrade in the fall - not the right time in the product life cycle to buy one.

Mar 17, 2013 at 02:25 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Macbook Air vs. Macbook Pro Retina

I have the 13" MBP with Retina. Love it. Although I do not use it for my main editing machine I do edit on it. Unit boots from cold in 6 seconds and launching Photoshop in another 5 seconds. The SSD is really a worthwhile investment. Now they have dropped the price I would take that over the Air. Maximum Ram is 8GB which is standard. The only thing I upgraded was the SSD to 256GB.

Mar 18, 2013 at 02:48 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.