Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I like the concept Fred and it's definitely a move in the right discretion. Could I offer one small visual suggestion?

I think the quote and like buttons are well placed, but, the tallies of the likes are not easily visible. I think it would be great to see a box with a number, to the left of the buttons, to help show the total number of likes a little more clearly. Maybe like this below? Sorta like Google+?

Mar 16, 2013 at 09:28 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #2 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

sboerup wrote:
I like the concept Fred and it's definitely a move in the right discretion. Could I offer one small visual suggestion?

I think the quote and like buttons are well placed, but, the tallies of the likes are not easily visible. I think it would be great to see a box with a number, to the left of the buttons, to help show the total number of likes a little more clearly. Maybe like this below? Sorta like Google+?

Thanks. I "liked" you idea.

For something even easier to see, I thought of placing the current number of likes on the top right of the post window. See below:

Mar 16, 2013 at 09:47 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

If you're on a 30" screen then it's not as obvious to see in the far right corner.

Also, for people that have more posts than Fred, is there like a super special prize for that?

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:01 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Phrasikleia wrote:
Apparently not, if I understand this correctly. There is no "like" for the image(s); the "like" feature is only for the comments that follow the initial post.

Nobody answered my question at the beginning of this thread, and I remain curious about it. Could someone please be kind enough to fill me in? I asked how the thumbnail images that appear at the top of the forum get there: do they get featured there because they had a lot of comments (or, conversely, do they get a lot of comments because they are featured there)?

I guess a vote as thread for the week will suffice. I can still say I like an image if I do with a reply.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM
jhayesvw
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

These are both great ideas and Im happy to see them implemented here.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Jeff Napier
• • •
p.3 #6 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Perhaps this could be addded to the Sports fourm as well

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.3 #7 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Cool ideas Fred, great way to add fresh features to this great forum. Very facebook/G+ like. No pun intended.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #8 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Jeff Napier wrote:
Perhaps this could be addded to the Sports fourm as well

Hi Jeff,
We will start with Nature, Landscape and People boards for the first couple of weeks. Once we iron out all the bugs, other boards will be added.
Best,
Fred

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:18 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I like the new styling, much better. This is what a 30" screen would look like though...not trying to be picky, but I think putting the +# next to the area where it's actually liked puts it all close together in one

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:35 AM
chickenrx
• • •
p.3 #10 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Thanks Fred! Really great enhancements to an already fantastic site and forum!

Mar 17, 2013 at 02:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I know the world is all about popularity contests, as indicated by 'like' buttons on every webpage, article, post and comment on every site in existence. Not trying to be negative, but in simple fairness, shouldn't there be a 'disike' button as well to balance things out? On most image forums, all you see is 'great', 'wonderful', and other endless attaboys for every image posted, no matter if it is truly good or not. So many poorly executed images or ones with obvious flaws are generously rewarded with accolades from people who simply don't know the differences. This gives false hope to folks who should be craving accurate critique. This site has always had so many positive comments from people who have learned to be better photographers because of what they learned here. I'm sure this will continue to happen to a degree, but all the 'likes' and other mountains of positiveness that internet social networking 'etiquette' provides to everyone is often false and counterproductive. If there is only the opportunity for a member to express one emotion, how do we express our real feelings and communicate honestly?

Mar 17, 2013 at 03:25 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #12 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Jeffrey wrote:
I know the world is all about popularity contests, as indicated by 'like' buttons on every webpage, article, post and comment on every site in existence. Not trying to be negative, but in simple fairness, shouldn't there be a 'disike' button as well to balance things out? On most image forums, all you see is 'great', 'wonderful', and other endless attaboys for every image posted, no matter if it is truly good or not. So many poorly executed images or ones with obvious flaws are generously rewarded with accolades from people who simply don't know the differences. This gives false
...Show more

Jeffrey,
Point taken.
They way the "like" feature works on FM is different though. We are not liking images or first posts. We are choosing to like following comments to it. I believe that great feedback and constructive criticism will gather most "likes", and that is what I want to reward.

Mar 17, 2013 at 03:33 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

We are not liking images or first posts. We are choosing to like following comments to it.
This makes sense. I like it. Thanks Fred.
Harsha

Mar 21, 2013 at 01:48 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

An interesting idea, Fred.
I'm a "buy high/sell low" kind of guy, so I have no idea how the plan will work out.

Like many/most posters on FM, I post because I want to share my photographs with others- and to learn from friendly critiques.
It's always nice to get compliments- and constructive criticism can help in future efforts. Mostly, though, I just want people to have a chance to look at what I think is worthwhile and interesting.
To me, one good aspect of viewers making comments is that it bumps photos to the top of the page- and thereby gives more people a chance to view them. If this new idea causes viewers to make fewer comments than before- that might be a serious flaw imo.

Realistically, once a post drops to the bottom of a page (or goes to the next page), few people ever look at it. This is a natural thing- and important. But when a post drops to the next page with no comments (no matter how good or bad it is), it's discouraging to the poster. 46 views and no comments is no fun- especially if only a couple of others ever have it happen to them. At the very least, some of the "old hands" might make suggestions for improvement (and often they do).

Before discovering FM, I tried a couple of other photo forums. Both had a "rating system" for posted images that required nothing more than a quick click of the mouse to indicate if the viewer thought the image was excellent, average, or terrible. Because of the intrinsic anonymity of the net, it was very easy for mean-spirited people (yes, there are more than a few out there ) to really slam someone's work.
Although it's easy to tell others that "You shouldn't be so sensitive," the truth is that many people ARE hurt when someone checks the "stinks" icon (even if ten others click the "excellent" icon.
It's understood that not everyone likes everyone else's work. But when people go out of there way to tell posters they don't like it (and especially when they don't even bother to say why), posters are often discouraged. And eventually, most quit trying and drop out.
It happened too often to me on those forums, so I stopped using them. If people don't like my work- fine. But when they insult me and my work- that is NOT fine.
And that's why I like FM. Such things seldom happen here.
The vast majority of FM users are polite with their comments and, instead of saying "That stinks," they'll say something like "It looks overexposed on my monitor; try toning it down and perhaps using a bit more contrast to give it a little pop." (Note: in my case, it's usually "Hey Charlie: I know you love contrast, but I think you have a bit too much here .")
So, Fred, as long as you don't make it easy for rude people to be rude, pretty much anything else is probably fair game to me .
Good luck with this new plan.
Charlie

Mar 21, 2013 at 06:14 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.3 #15 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I like like it, like really really like like it.

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:35 AM
The Box

p.3 #16 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

As a Lurker I would "like" a post or picture quicker than posting a comment on it.I think it is a good idea.

Mar 22, 2013 at 06:03 PM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.3 #17 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Fred-- the featured thread links (2nd 3rd place etc-- the vote results) work only on the first page of the featured thread; from page 2 onward they link back to the top featured thread only.

Mar 24, 2013 at 04:36 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #18 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Andrew Welsh wrote:
Fred-- the featured thread links (2nd 3rd place etc-- the vote results) work only on the first page of the featured thread; from page 2 onward they link back to the top featured thread only.

Thanks for letting me know Andrew. This is now fixed.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Cloudbow
• • •
p.3 #19 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I like having a Like button. Many times I'll read a comment that makes me smile or that I very much agree with, but don't feel it is necessary to post just to say so. The ability to Like is nice.

I'm definitely NOT in favor of a Dislike button. All that will do is cause dissension and hurt feelings.

Unlike would be okay because sometimes people change their minds.

Bev

Mar 27, 2013 at 04:50 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3 #20 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I love the "Like" option and the "Vote for Featured Thread" buttons... I would like to see this in other categories though, like Macro World or Black and White Vision for instance...

May 20, 2013 at 07:59 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password