New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Oh my another aspect that raises the bar on this forum for excellence in Nature photograpy

I often thought of something similar to this, excellent to hear of it Fred and as always all that you do for us is greatly appreciated and respected

Karl

Mar 16, 2013 at 08:30 AM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Jeez, it's not like Fred is giving a $ million prize. If people choose to resort to trickery just to get a little more attention, I think their sham will be easily seen through. My thought is: Give it a try. If it becomes problematic, it's easy to pull.

Thanks for trying to make the forum a little more interesting, Fred.

Mar 16, 2013 at 08:45 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Hi Fred,

I’m a big fan of contests and an active participant. Spreading the voting out over many people makes it much more difficult for entrants to predict the winner and at the same time it will relieve you of some work allowing you to focus on other things. This is a wonderful forum full of talented and kind people and some will get some well-deserved recognition from this feature.

You might want to move the vote button to the bottom near the comment box so that we don't have to go back to the top to hit it.

Thanks for making FM a wonderful place to visit.

Morris

Mar 16, 2013 at 09:11 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I think it will be fun. So far the responses from the nature forum is very positive and this forum is more reserved. Interesting.
Fred, Thank you so much for having a portal like this for us to share and learn. I really appreciate it.
Harsha

Mar 16, 2013 at 09:41 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Great ideas. I especially like (no pun intended) the "like" button for posts, and for a bunch of reasons.

I've often thought that some way to quantify (imperfect though it must be) the "reputation" of posts and posters might be useful to those who read threads and have a hard time assessing the relative value of various posters. While you eventually get such a sense of who is who if you read and post for a long time, newer participants - especially those who are beginners at this stuff - may give too much or too little credence to posts.

Second, such a rating system on posts/posters may encourage folks to write in ways that are useful and productive and perhaps discourage some from posting some of the less thoughtful stuff. (I suspect that those who have been here a while have noticed that not only those who post in forums have opinions about what they read - I know I get the occasional PM from folks who just read the threads and don't post themselves.)

Thanks.

Dan

Fred Miranda wrote:
Hi Everyone,
We are happy to announce a new aspect in our Landscape Photographer board. It’s a voting system designed to select our “Thread of the week.”

In the past, I would select certain threads to highlight, subjectively. This new system gives each of you a chance to participate in selecting the featured threads based on your votes.

Every week you can vote for threads you like by clicking on the "Vote as featured thread" button located on top of the thread. Grant votes to as many threads as you want.

Each Friday evening, the polling will turn off for about two
...Show more

Edited on Mar 16, 2013 at 09:50 AM · View previous versions

Mar 16, 2013 at 09:42 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I think this is a great idea. I frequent multiple other types of forums and the "like" or "thank you" buttons promote thoughtful posts and helpful responses all the time.

Mar 16, 2013 at 09:45 AM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I like that there's now a simple way to let a poster know that you appreciate their comment. Definitely worth a try.

Mar 16, 2013 at 09:46 AM
sdgnh
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Thank you Fred, for making this forum my favorite place to see, post and learn about nature photography. I am not able to be as active here as I'd like, but this new feature sounds great

Thank you.
Nancy

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:06 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Same question as brad...

I might want to "like" the OPs post without commenting or voting it as thread of the week...

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I like it. I find most comments either gratuitous or pedantic. A simple like tells the poster their image was seen and appreciated, all that's required.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bernie
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Regarding Eyeball's concern for flow, what about moving the controls to the lower right along with the others (report/quote/reply)? We already have a quote button there, Do we need another?

The "like" function should also apply to the OP, but not move the thread. If we don't feel strongly enough to actually respond, then the thread should fall by the wayside....

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Good idea, except I have no intention of signing up for Facebook.

Tony

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM
DLP
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I'm all for liking a thread but a "Like" in every post is more than a bit distracting with the double space line. Why not just put a like button at the bottom of the post by; Profile-PM-Posts etc?

Dave

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Thanks for the all the comments.
The position and layout of the new links were carefully thought out. I wanted it to be easily accessed and at the same time, visually discreet.

To address your inquiry - the purpose of this is to encourage participation. I am in the process of setting up a new incentive program to offer members discounts on our services based on their "total posts", "likes received", "weekly assignment wins", "feature thread wins", etc..
This way active members here will be rewarded for their participation. I am still ironing out the details but basically, the more you do, the more discount you will get.

The reason the 'like' link is only available for individual posts instead of the thread itself -- is because I did not want to disrupt the way FM works now. I don't want us to replace individual posts with 'likes'.
However, this is not set in stone. I see the benefit of having the "like" link on the first post as well...

Doing this in phases will give everyone a chance to get used to it. Thanks for your patience.

Fred

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I hope it's obvious as to how it works. Sounds like a great idea. Don
I'm enjoying this Forum very much. Thanks.

Mar 16, 2013 at 01:11 PM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

ben egbert wrote:
I like it. I find most comments either gratuitous or pedantic. A simple like tells the poster their image was seen and appreciated, all that's required.

Apparently not, if I understand this correctly. There is no "like" for the image(s); the "like" feature is only for the comments that follow the initial post.

Nobody answered my question at the beginning of this thread, and I remain curious about it. Could someone please be kind enough to fill me in? I asked how the thumbnail images that appear at the top of the forum get there: do they get featured there because they had a lot of comments (or, conversely, do they get a lot of comments because they are featured there)?

Mar 16, 2013 at 01:20 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Phrasikleia wrote:
Apparently not, if I understand this correctly. There is no "like" for the image(s); the "like" feature is only for the comments that follow the initial post.

Nobody answered my question at the beginning of this thread, and I remain curious about it. Could someone please be kind enough to fill me in? I asked how the thumbnail images that appear at the top of the forum get there: do they get featured there because they had a lot of comments (or, conversely, do they get a lot of comments because they are featured there)?

Hi!
The thumbnails on the top of the board are not connected to this new code. They represent recent replied threads that just got bumped to the top. However, the thumbnails only work for images uploaded using the "Upload & Sell" service.

Mar 16, 2013 at 01:54 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Thank you Fred for providing the place to enjoy, learn and share. Wonderful group here who have taught me so very much. I truly enjoy my time spent here, thank you.

Birdie

Mar 16, 2013 at 02:26 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Like, er, +1, er, great idea, Fred!

Greg

Mar 16, 2013 at 02:38 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

always welcome new additions to the board

Mar 16, 2013 at 03:12 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.