FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Hey everyone,

Exciting news! We've added a new feature to our Landscape Photographer, Nature & Wildlife, and People Photography boards – a voting system to pick a "Featured Thread" each week.

This voting system gives each of you a chance to participate in selecting the featured threads based on your votes. Here's how:

1. Click on the "Vote as Featured Thread" button at the top of the thread.
2. You can vote for as many threads as you like.

The voting lasts for a week, giving all threads equal exposure time. After a week, the button is removed, and the thread is included in the next Friday's vote count.

In case of a tie, the thread with the most replies wins.

If a thread doesn't have the "Vote as Featured Thread" button, it means it has already been exposed and voted on for a week, awaiting the final count on the next Friday.

The winning threads get moved to the top of the board with "Featured" in the subject line and are showcased on our FM Frontpage, Gallery, Twitter, and Facebook.

Check out the example thread to see where the button is located. Happy voting!

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM
KirkB
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I like this idea Fred and really appreciate being able to participate in selecting the "Thread of the Week"
Thanks so much for hosting our support group.

Seriously... thanks for creating this website and these forums, which has become a really enjoyable part of my life.

Kirk

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Cool!

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

There's no "like" for your post.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Sounds good.

In the past somebody might get 200+ views on his photo and no comments. That guy would wonder if his pic was awful or (less likely) perfect. Now we have a system to tell him in one click.

Mar 16, 2013 at 01:01 AM
Major_K
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Let me echo Kirk, thanks so much Fred for the wonderful website. I have learned so much and made many friends from here. Great work!

Khai

Mar 16, 2013 at 01:36 AM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Like the Like

Mar 16, 2013 at 02:18 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Great idea.

Mar 16, 2013 at 03:52 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Interesting development. I'm still relatively new to this forum and haven't yet figured out how everything works. Are those five thumbnails that appear at the top of the main page also feature threads?

Edited on Mar 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM · View previous versions

Mar 16, 2013 at 04:45 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

No need to comment anymore. Just like it.

Mar 16, 2013 at 06:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Really great feature, Fred. I feel that comments are down lately (most likely due to people viewing on tablets and phones). This new feature will allow for a quick "like" to let people know they are heading in the right direction.

Mar 16, 2013 at 06:35 AM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

While more democracy sounds great, I do have some doubts about this Fred. On another forum which I visit, they tried this and it led to some rather childish "vote for me and I'll vote for you" friendships. There was even one man who created a whole legion of aliases to promote himself. I sincerely hope that the people who visit FM are more mature and will vote based on the qualities of the photographs.

Mar 16, 2013 at 06:39 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

So we're voting on a thread; not an image? Not sure I get the point. Seems like there's a couple of measurands already that are indicators of popularity, like number of views and number of posts. In addition to those, I don't get the value of knowing that someone likes the thread, especially since you could have a thread that got a lot of hits (or posts) yet only a few "Likes."

Jack

Mar 16, 2013 at 07:21 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

The Featured Thread button is OK I guess.

The Quote/Like line in each post really makes the thread look noisy though. It really interrupts the flow.

I guess the whole "Like" thing is inevitable since that is the trendy and low-commitment thing to do on the web these days. I can't help but feel that this is going to highlight even more that FM just isn't very good at the "display and like" thing though. There are so many other sites that do that better. I assume that the Likes are not going to cause the thread to pop to the top of the stack so it will be interesting to see if it actually causes less apparent activity in the threads.

I would encourage you to think more about how you can play to FM's strengths and use that as a differentiator rather than copy trendy features from other sites in a way that highlights FM's weaknesses.

Mar 16, 2013 at 07:25 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

helenica wrote:
While more democracy sounds great, I do have some doubts about this Fred. On another forum which I visit, they tried this and it led to some rather childish "vote for me and I'll vote for you" friendships. There was even one man who created a whole legion of aliases to promote himself. I sincerely hope that the people who visit FM are more mature and will vote based on the qualities of the photographs.

That's a good point. These sorts of things, especially when they're not anonymous, tend to turn out as popularity contests. It's human nature.

Mar 16, 2013 at 07:27 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I'm with eyeball here.
I think this would discourage people even more to comment.
This was typed on a mobile phone.

Mar 16, 2013 at 07:32 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Great ideas Fred! Great to see the site continue to evolve. Thanks for the site and taking great care of it

Tim

Mar 16, 2013 at 07:44 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Why is there only a Like button in the comments to a post and not on the original post in a thread?

brad

Mar 16, 2013 at 07:57 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I like..... like it.

Mar 16, 2013 at 07:57 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Phrasikleia wrote:
That's a good point. These sorts of things, especially when they're not anonymous, tend to turn out as popularity contests. It's human nature.

I already see people continually ( or in fact strategically timed ) post to their own threads just to bump it up to the top so more people could view and comment on their photos. I think having a voting system which would turn into a popularity vote would just increase this behavior.

Mar 16, 2013 at 07:59 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.