Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Hi Everyone,
We are happy to announce a new aspect in our Landscape Photographer, Nature & Wildlife and People Photography boards.
Itís a voting system designed to select a "Featured Thread" of the week for each board.

In the past, I would select certain threads to highlight, subjectively. This new system gives each of you a chance to participate in selecting the featured threads based on your votes.

Every week you can vote for threads you like by clicking on the Vote as Featured Thread button located on top of the thread. Grant votes to as many threads as you want.

The voting button will be active for 1-week giving all threads the exact same time exposure regardless of when they were posted. Once a thread is older than 1-week, the voting button will be removed and the thread will be included on the upcoming Friday voting count.

If there is a tie, the thread with most replies wins.

If the Vote as Featured Thread button is absent from a thread, that means, the thread has already been exposed and voted for 1-week and it's waiting for final vote counting on the upcoming Friday.

Featured threads will automatically get bumped up to the top of the board with the word "Featured" before its subject line and the winner will be featured on our FM Frontpage, Gallery, Tweeter and Facebook.

Example thread showing the location of the button:

Mar 16, 2013 at 05:08 AM
KirkB
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I like this idea Fred and really appreciate being able to participate in selecting the "Thread of the Week"
Thanks so much for hosting our support group.

Seriously... thanks for creating this website and these forums, which has become a really enjoyable part of my life.

Kirk

Mar 16, 2013 at 05:27 AM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #3 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Cool!

Mar 16, 2013 at 05:50 AM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #4 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

There's no "like" for your post.

Mar 16, 2013 at 05:52 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Sounds good.

In the past somebody might get 200+ views on his photo and no comments. That guy would wonder if his pic was awful or (less likely) perfect. Now we have a system to tell him in one click.

Mar 16, 2013 at 06:01 AM
Major_K
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Let me echo Kirk, thanks so much Fred for the wonderful website. I have learned so much and made many friends from here. Great work!

Khai

Mar 16, 2013 at 06:36 AM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #7 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Like the Like

Mar 16, 2013 at 07:18 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #8 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Great idea.

Mar 16, 2013 at 08:52 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #9 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Interesting development. I'm still relatively new to this forum and haven't yet figured out how everything works. Are those five thumbnails that appear at the top of the main page also feature threads?

Edited on Mar 16, 2013 at 03:09 PM · View previous versions

Mar 16, 2013 at 09:45 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #10 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

No need to comment anymore. Just like it.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Really great feature, Fred. I feel that comments are down lately (most likely due to people viewing on tablets and phones). This new feature will allow for a quick "like" to let people know they are heading in the right direction.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:35 AM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #12 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

While more democracy sounds great, I do have some doubts about this Fred. On another forum which I visit, they tried this and it led to some rather childish "vote for me and I'll vote for you" friendships. There was even one man who created a whole legion of aliases to promote himself. I sincerely hope that the people who visit FM are more mature and will vote based on the qualities of the photographs.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM
jforkner
• •
p.1 #13 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

So we're voting on a thread; not an image? Not sure I get the point. Seems like there's a couple of measurands already that are indicators of popularity, like number of views and number of posts. In addition to those, I don't get the value of knowing that someone likes the thread, especially since you could have a thread that got a lot of hits (or posts) yet only a few "Likes."

Jack

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #14 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

The Featured Thread button is OK I guess.

The Quote/Like line in each post really makes the thread look noisy though. It really interrupts the flow.

I guess the whole "Like" thing is inevitable since that is the trendy and low-commitment thing to do on the web these days. I can't help but feel that this is going to highlight even more that FM just isn't very good at the "display and like" thing though. There are so many other sites that do that better. I assume that the Likes are not going to cause the thread to pop to the top of the stack so it will be interesting to see if it actually causes less apparent activity in the threads.

I would encourage you to think more about how you can play to FM's strengths and use that as a differentiator rather than copy trendy features from other sites in a way that highlights FM's weaknesses.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #15 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

helenica wrote:
While more democracy sounds great, I do have some doubts about this Fred. On another forum which I visit, they tried this and it led to some rather childish "vote for me and I'll vote for you" friendships. There was even one man who created a whole legion of aliases to promote himself. I sincerely hope that the people who visit FM are more mature and will vote based on the qualities of the photographs.

That's a good point. These sorts of things, especially when they're not anonymous, tend to turn out as popularity contests. It's human nature.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #16 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I'm with eyeball here.
I think this would discourage people even more to comment.
This was typed on a mobile phone.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Great ideas Fred! Great to see the site continue to evolve. Thanks for the site and taking great care of it

Tim

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #18 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Why is there only a Like button in the comments to a post and not on the original post in a thread?

brad

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #19 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

I like..... like it.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · New Feature: Vote for Featured Thread of the Week

Phrasikleia wrote:
That's a good point. These sorts of things, especially when they're not anonymous, tend to turn out as popularity contests. It's human nature.

I already see people continually ( or in fact strategically timed ) post to their own threads just to bump it up to the top so more people could view and comment on their photos. I think having a voting system which would turn into a popularity vote would just increase this behavior.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password