New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Right To Images

drive_75
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Right To Images

How do you guys feel about taking a gig that you don't have the right to the images and the pay is $150 for 2.5 hours.

The pay is already low but for me to sign my right to use the images as well? There will be some Photographer willing to do just that but I feel that I just can't do it out of principle. To buy my images, the pay would have to be much more. $150 only really buy my time.

So how do you feel?

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Right To Images

If it really bothers you, then why not "pass"? I wouldn't hesitate to ask if I could use a few images of my choice for self-promotion, but maybe you've already asked that.

Also, unless they give you a memory card at the start of the shoot, and you just give it back at the end, then you're probably in for some post-processing time, on top of the 2.5 hours on site (if that's what the 2.5 hours is for). I'd charge a half-day rate for that, assuming it's very straightforward PP.

Mar 15, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Right To Images

As long as they feed me...my choice of cusine...and buy my beer...Dogfishhead 60 IPA...I have no problem with it....any post process work requested...$125/hr...If I'm not doing anything elese that day...of course I am retired and don't need the money...

You make up your own mind... that's why you have one...and do what you think you need to do...IMHO of course...

Jefferson

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:12 PM
drive_75
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Right To Images

For wedding and all events I've shot, the couple doesn't own the images. I own them and the couple have the right to use and print the images.

Jefferson, it's not about having a mind or not. I just wonder how some event photographers feel about shooting a gig and not have any right to the images at all. Yes there is a price we all would do. I'm sure if the offer 10x that amount, I would too.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Right To Images

Ruby Tuesday Restaurant offered Mick Jagger $1000 to sing at their opening plus a lifetime of jalapeņo poppers. True story. He passed, as you should.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:57 PM
drive_75
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Right To Images

borderlight wrote:
Ruby Tuesday Restaurant offered Mick Jagger $1000 to sing at their opening plus a lifetime of jalapeņo poppers. True story. He passed, as you should.

Yeah already passed on it and moving on.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:13 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.