Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · My Letter to Nikon customer service.

mdg137
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Letter to Nikon customer service.

After getting my D800E back in worse calibration than I sent it, here is my response. Let's see how they handle it.

"Gentlemen:

I have been a Nikon owner and user since the advent of the F5. Since the 1990’s, I have used the F5, F2AS, F3, F4, F6, D2x, D200, D3, D3x and now the D800E.

I purchased this camera in May, 2012 (see attached invoice). At the time of purchase, the camera had issues with the left side focus points. I returned the camera to Nikon service at that time.

In February, 2013, I noticed an alarming number of misfocused images. I tested the camera with several lenses, and found wildly inconsistent focusing, varying from shot to shot, even when the camera was tripod mounted, and the target was stationary.

At that time, I returned the camera for a second round of service. I received the camera back at the end of February, and found it to be in infinitely WORSE calibration than when I sent it. At this point, it is front focusing to a degree that is far beyond the realm of fine tuning. It displays this behavior with every lens I tested.

Compared to my Canon equipment, it is so far off as to be utterly useless.

I contacted Nikon on Friday, March 8, 2013, and was promised by Cxxxxx that I would be emailed a return shipping label within 48 hours.

On Tuesday, March 12, 2013, I contacted Nikon again, to inquire as to the whereabouts of the label. The customer service rep I spoke with had no idea I had been assured of receipt of such a label, but in turn, promised to email one out right away.

On Thursday, March 14, I made one more call to Nikon—only to be informed that is was standard operating procedure to request sample images before issuing any return shipping labels. Somehow, every customer service rep I had spoken with up to this point was completely unaware of this company policy.

The request for sample images was made, and answered (with supplied images) on Tuesday the 12th, BEFORE I spoke with the customer rep.

Also note, I am not specifying the several instances during this process where a Nikon rep told me they would look into something and email me an answer, only to be followed by deafening silence.

By law, items sold within the United States (under the UCC) generally carry with them an “Implied Warranty of Merchantability” in addition to any company warranty. Part of this implied warranty provides “They must be fit for the purposes such goods are ordinarily used…” I think, Nikon would be the first to admit that the ability to focus semi-accurately would be essential to the ordinary use of the camera…

Given that this is now the 3rd time the camera has been returned to you for repair, coupled with the breathtakingly inept (bordering on offensive) customer service-- I am, to put it diplomatically, substantially less than convinced that the issue can be made right with this body.

With that in mind, I am hereby requesting a replacement body for the defective body serial no. xxxxxxx.

What little faith I have in Nikon at this point, is the faith that Nikon will make this right.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may provide any further information.

Best,

Marke D. Gilbert
Attorney at Law

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:31 PM
mshi
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Letter to Nikon customer service.

I doubt they'd care since they believe they can have access to even more $$$$$ lawyers. Besides, they probably don't even think an individual like you would go to New York to see them in court. IMHO a better thing to do is to organize a Class Action instead.

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:40 PM
mdg137
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Letter to Nikon customer service.

Well, I wouldnt necessarily have to go to New York-- they could be brought into court in any federal district, and they have enough "contacts with the forum"-- and if they tried to remove it to NewYork, a small lawyer like me would be more prejudiced than they would be here-- so, one could argue that it should stay put.

That isnt the intent anyway-- although I believe on the phone I did say something about gathering up everyone with these issues...

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:49 PM
wishdiver

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Letter to Nikon customer service.

I would be really interested in what their response is. I know several D800 owners that are not happy with the quality of images that it is producing. You would think that Nikon must know about this and would have their Customer Service reps ready and willing with a set guideline on how to handle this issue.

Please keep us informed as to how this goes for you.

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:50 PM
Baywing
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Letter to Nikon customer service.

I have heard that Nikon is fully aware of the D800 AF issues but the subsidiaries are under orders from Japan not to comment on the situation. Nikon finally admitted the D600 flying lube problem but has been silent on the D800s problems leading some to express concerns about Nikon's long term company health. For one, Thom Hogan has been outspoken about this issue.

Mar 15, 2013 at 03:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pmac1985
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My Letter to Nikon customer service.

Well I've just received my d800 back after being sent to get the AF checked. From the few shots I took using my 85mm it seemed fine, then I tried my 50 and it seems very soft, and I mean very soft, even when stopped down.
I've got images from the day before sending it and there 10x sharper (this is using the centre point, not the left side).

I'm hoping that its just the AF is fine and now my 50 is out of sync, going to run all my lenses through focal tmr as its dark here now and do some testing.

Mar 15, 2013 at 06:11 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My Letter to Nikon customer service.

I have issues with both my D800 and D4, but it doesn't really impact my photography too much, and in fairness the issues are minor. However, it does at times cause oof shots and is bloody annnoying.

At times I even contemplate trading in one of my Nikon bodies and some glass and buying the new Leica M. At least then any missed shots would be my fault.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:14 PM
ADCOLE
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My Letter to Nikon customer service.

I understand totally what you are going through. I sent my D800 in because I had oil all over the sensor. I didn't notice any left focusing issues at all. They emailed me stating the I needed a B1 service. Once I've received my camera I had to AF fine tune my 50mm f/1.g to +10 and my 85mm f/1.8g to +15 and I and while I was making the adjustments to those lenses, I noticed that the oil was back. I am at the point where I will just deal with it and order a cleaning kit.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM
pmac1985
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My Letter to Nikon customer service.

Not had a chance to do any proper self testing yet, but decided to run the camera and 85 though focal.

Before I sent it in it came up needing -2 on the 85, this time it was leaning towards the +20 end until it came up saying there were unexpected results and needed to add more points, this happened again and it said it may give a un consistent result , I carried on though then it decided that it needed to test out with the MA range(needed up 40). So turned it off...

Will get it re tried again tmr when I can get some time away from the kids, but this is defiantly not looking good.Im away to Asian again in 3 weeks as well.

If this is worse I'm going to contact the shop I bought it from and demand it refunded even though its going on 6months on. Will get trading standards involved if needed as I don't think it acceptable that one of the main components does not work as it should and got worse after returning it to the manufacturer.

Mar 16, 2013 at 04:29 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password