Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

Brian Virts
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I kind of agree with Todd, it would have a been a great opportunity to understand what was bugging the FOB, but all the same I think just dealing with her, and having her deal with him is probably the road I would have taken. The FOB may be of "disturbed character", and therefore never satisfied. Engaging with him and adding that level of pressure to the gig is something I personally would try to avoid.

Mar 15, 2013 at 03:35 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I would recommend any further communication with bride/dad is over email, in writing. And this is also why I only accept check/cash after the initial retainer.

Mar 15, 2013 at 05:32 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

sboerup wrote:
....And this is also why I only accept check/cash after the initial retainer.

Exactly my policy as well... for obvious reasons.

Mar 15, 2013 at 05:47 PM
lindabrowne
• • • •
p.3 #4 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

Graceology wrote:
I emailed the bride last night and used a lot of the replies on here to correctly word my email and I received this emails 20 minutes later:

Hey Chris,

I know it's super late on the east coast but if you're up (i get the feeling you're a night owl) and want to chat, give me a call on my cell xxx-xxx-xxxx.

I'd really like to apologize over the phone for my father and ease your mind. Seth and I signed a contract with you, not my dad, and we will make good on it. We are so excited about working
...Show more

Glad to hear all is well. Nicely handled.

Mar 15, 2013 at 06:07 PM
julieawhitlock
• •
p.3 #5 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

Sounds like he's a contract re-negotiater. glad it worked out! That poor girl!

Mar 15, 2013 at 06:18 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.3 #6 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I bet her groom is 180 from her dad. Totally laid back?

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:08 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.3 #7 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

Graceology wrote:
really hope that this conversation you had today won't negatively skew your opinion of us or the beautiful wedding we are so excited about sharing with our family and friends

I wouldn't look forward to meeting the Dad, here. Probably couldn't help but be a little "cool" toward him at the wedding in reaction to the threat he made.

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:39 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.3 #8 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I would require a cash or money order payment - or payment with enough time for a check to clear. No credit cards.

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:40 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.3 #9 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I wonder if he plans to eat the food and use the venue and see if he likes it before paying the final balance too. I hate it when corporate job parents try and bully us to 'protect' their children and especially when they use the 'I'm paying for it' angle. This is a big reason why I will only ever take payment from the bride or groom and only ever have either of their names on the contract.

Usually (as in this case) the bride or groom is well aware of their parent's craziness and the situation is easily resolved though

Mar 15, 2013 at 08:27 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.3 #10 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

Mark_L wrote:
Usually (as in this case) the bride or groom is well aware of their parent's craziness and the situation is easily resolved though

I like it !!!!

Mar 15, 2013 at 08:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

TRReichman wrote:
That's a fine stance to take. As far as I see it defensiveness and fear aren't great ways to earn trust and respect, which is essentially all we're selling prior to the event. I refuse to be afraid of my clients (or anyone else's). I've made a career out of turning situations like this into happy clients and incredibly lucrative referrals.

What the client is complaining about is almost never the root problem. If you divert from the complaint to trying to solve the root problem you earn respect and a cheerleader for life.

- trr

Being afraid has nothing to do with it. Explicit threats were made and with the contract the photographer had the power not the father who is being a prick. He should have been at the consult if he wanted to discuss contractual matters and make sure he can trust you. Now he's just being an asshole.

Mar 15, 2013 at 09:02 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

P.S. I recently had a father like this who wanted to pay final balance after images were delivered. I asked him what the underlying concerns were, offered referrals and even ended up conceding that he could pay after the wedding but before receiving images. He said it was a cultural thing and not negotiable. Tough shit dad, your daughter just lost the photographer she wanted.

Mar 15, 2013 at 09:05 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.3 #13 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

TTLKurtis wrote:
the father who is being a prick

No way around it: that's what he's being here. He's probably that way in person at the wedding.

Mar 15, 2013 at 09:23 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

TTLKurtis wrote:
Oh c'mon Todd. Some people are unreasonable and they can just plain suck it.

TRReichman wrote:
That's a fine stance to take. As far as I see it defensiveness and fear aren't great ways to earn trust and respect, which is essentially all we're selling prior to the event. I refuse to be afraid of my clients (or anyone else's). I've made a career out of turning situations like this into happy clients and incredibly lucrative referrals.

What the client is complaining about is almost never the root problem. If you divert from the complaint to trying to solve the root problem you earn respect and a cheerleader for life.

- trr

TTLKurtis wrote:
Being afraid has nothing to do with it. Explicit threats were made and with the contract the photographer had the power not the father who is being a prick. He should have been at the consult if he wanted to discuss contractual matters and make sure he can trust you. Now he's just being an asshole.

I have to say; I agree 100% with Kurtis as well.

Mar 15, 2013 at 09:44 PM
Graceology
• •
Account locked
p.3 #15 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

And a second email from the bride, this one unsolicited from me. The situation is 100% resolved and taken care of:

Hey Chris,

First, let me assure you that you will have a certified check 7 days prior. If that is what would make you feel comfortable, that is what we will do. Seth and I signed a contract with you and we are your clients so take solace in that.

My parents are planning our wedding however the photography is the one piece of the puzzle that Seth and I wanted (and still want) control over. We looked at so many options, talked to so many people, but out of everyone you were the standout. Your work does speak for itself and, as we've told you many times before, your professionalism was very important to Seth and me. We are both very upset that my father's conversation with you has in any way put doubt in your mind. He had no right to berate you for the contract or get involved with that piece at all because he didn't sign it. I'm truly sorry for that.

Seth and I know that you and Heather are 100% professional and we don't have one bit of worry.

I hope you travel safe and have a great weekend!

Lauren

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I wouldn't sweat it at all. Buy him a drink when you meet.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Graceology
• •
Account locked
p.3 #17 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

After all of this, he should have a bottle of Kettle One waiting for me!

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Daboyle
• • •
p.3 #18 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

those are some great clients. Dad is still a jerk

Mar 16, 2013 at 01:40 AM
Graceology
• •
Account locked
p.3 #19 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I have been looking forward to this wedding since I booked it. She has been great through this. I actually thought I would receive a call from the dad explaining this after she called and let him have it today.

Mar 16, 2013 at 01:42 AM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.3 #20 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

Graceology wrote:
We are both very upset that my father's conversation with you has in any way put doubt in your mind.

Sounds like you've got a real darling there. Congrats.

Mar 16, 2013 at 02:46 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password