Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Job offer out of state, need affordable Chicago photog Ju...

koprivakopriva
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Job offer out of state, need affordable Chicago photog June 7

In a small pickle regarding a conflict that might arise from a potential job offer.

I currently live in the midwest and have a June 7th wedding booked in Aurora, IL. The job would be on the west coast and would necessitate my moving out there well before that date. Getting back and forth to shoot a wedding might prove difficult and I feel that it would be unfair to the couple should any issues arise.

Should this job offer come through, I'd like to have a list of affordable and dependable wedding photographers to turn over to the couple to allow them to make their choice and keep their plans running smoothly.

The holdup is that I'm quite cheap. I priced the couple at $800 for the event. I work alone, don't print, have only shot 10 or so weddings on my own, and I believe that it's a fair price for my work.

I don't really broadcast this link because I don't think it's indicative of my current work, but here is a small gallery that might give you an impression of my skill level at the time I signed with this couple: 2010-2011 weddings

Obviously this would be more of a student- or newbie-oriented gig, but I'm really hoping to see somebody with some good work so that I can rest easy knowing that this couple is in good hands.

Of course, the job offer may not happen or I may choose to decline it, so this is about a 50/50 thing right now.

Thanks for your responses!

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:04 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Job offer out of state, need affordable Chicago photog June 7

Just give them their money back. Plenty of time to find another $800 photographer.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Job offer out of state, need affordable Chicago photog June 7

And this is why if you're going to get in to weddings it needs to be your #1 priority.

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:31 AM
DONIV
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Job offer out of state, need affordable Chicago photog June 7

I'd give them their money back and give them some options...

also...10 weddings and billing only $800 is NOT fair TO YOU. Spend about $100-$150 on a new site, focus heavy on branding/pricing/sales and charge 3x what you are charging. After about 5 weddings in the mid-west, my starting package was $2750 and that was for 6 hours. My avg booking was $4000-$4500

Mar 15, 2013 at 04:00 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Job offer out of state, need affordable Chicago photog June 7

DONIV wrote:
After about 5 weddings in the mid-west, my starting package was $2750 and that was for 6 hours. My avg booking was $4000-$4500

Sounds impossible.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Job offer out of state, need affordable Chicago photog June 7

TTLKurtis wrote:
Just give them their money back. Plenty of time to find another $800 photographer.

I think that is the best option.I'd just ditch it now and save the hassle for both of you.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Hybrid AWD
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Job offer out of state, need affordable Chicago photog June 7

Maybe it would be best to give them options on other photographers in the area that you could refer?

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DONIV
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Job offer out of state, need affordable Chicago photog June 7

D. Diggler wrote:
Sounds impossible.

“He who says he can and he who says he can’t are both usually right” – Confucius.

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:06 PM
koprivakopriva
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Job offer out of state, need affordable Chicago photog June 7

Thanks for the responses so far.

Even these few responses have been valuable perspective as to how low I'm pricing myself, so I'll definitely have to spend some time re-evaluating my pricing and lead generation process.

I'd love to see some of your early work, DONIV.

Mar 18, 2013 at 05:19 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Job offer out of state, need affordable Chicago photog June 7

Well- what does your contract state, lets start out there. You are legally tied by the contract, so you need to figure out what is legally acceptable before you risk a lawsuit, which could cost you more than the actual wedding.

Getting options together is a good idea, though I feel you will find very very very little options at $800 - and you must ask yourself if it is worth it. If you do find another photographer, you will need to have the couple write a contract with them, not keep it with you - otherwise you risk liability with any future issues with the couple.

Honesty is always the best policy, and at $800 the deposit/retainer must be quite low. Return it all, get signed documentation that they and yourself nullify the contract, and be done with it.

Mar 18, 2013 at 05:39 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Job offer out of state, need affordable Chicago photog June 7

DONIV wrote:
“He who says he can and he who says he can’t are both usually right” – Confucius.

"He who makes up stuff on an anonymous online forum in order to sound cool will receive only scorn and ridicule." - Me

Mar 18, 2013 at 06:10 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Job offer out of state, need affordable Chicago photog June 7

Jamesbjenkins wrote:
"He who makes up stuff on an anonymous online forum in order to sound cool will receive only scorn and ridicule." - Me

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Job offer out of state, need affordable Chicago photog June 7

lets stop making up stuff and get some data shall we..... average take from a wedding in a big city to make a living.....

roughly $5K. data from the PPA.

prices will differ in the rural areas. I know first hand.

$800 for a couple of hours.... is very do-able.

1/2 day rate .... not so much. Full day .... any shooter is cheating themselves. First or 2nd gig ... i understand.... getting that experience.

if i seem out of whack ... please show me a decent steakhouse (no golf clubs either) that is priced $25+ an entree. Where did they start with there pricing?
Did they have a night or 2 of open house - 1/2 price. yes. And since....

to the OP: Koprivak.....
kick up your rates to at least 2x.
That should be your starting 1/2 day rate.
Your work is fine. It may not be at a level of some (2-3)photographer (s) you follow and/or admire,
But that is not the point.

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:44 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Job offer out of state, need affordable Chicago photog June 7

So...did you ever find out about the job?

Apr 27, 2013 at 02:04 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password