Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       12       end

Archive 2013 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impres...

snapsy
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

Here's a mirror vibration test I performed on the D7100. The left column has images taken with the 10-second self timer + 3-second exposure delay (Mirror locked up for 3 seconds), whereas the right column has images taken with the 10-second timer and no exposure delay/mirror lockup.

D7100 Mirror Vibration Test

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:18 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

snapsy wrote:
Here's a mirror vibration test I performed on the D7100. The left column has images taken with the 10-second self timer + 3-second exposure delay (Mirror locked up for 3 seconds), whereas the right column has images taken with the 10-second timer and no exposure delay/mirror lockup.

D7100 Mirror Vibration Test

I can't see a difference besides some slight WB changes. I guess that's a good thing.

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:25 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

VinnieJ wrote:
I can't see a difference besides some slight WB changes. I guess that's a good thing.

There's what I consider minor vibration visible from 1/50 through 1/20 but it's very slight and this is a torture test considering the focal length and subject.

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:37 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

While I had the macro lens attached, here's the end of a banana I ate after finishing the mirror vibration test

24MP Image (Banana Macro)

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:39 PM
firewireguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

Well I managed to get out and take a few shots with this camera today and I am starting to get used to it. The sharpness and the image quality is awesome at all ISOs. 6400 is so usable and sharp whereas on my D300 I would be seeing blurring at 1000-1250 and I really didn't like it at all at 1600.

The metering seems a lot better than the D300, the AF is great. So much so that I don't think I'll be swapping metering modes as often as I'm used to. The Fn button is still in a daft place, but I've just found that I can use the DoF preview button for the same role (spot metering) as I used to use the Fn button for on the D300, so I think I'll use that and use the Fn button for AE-Lock for when I use that (which is rarely).

I do find that when viewing images on the screen that they look a little blurred until you zoom in a notch and then they appear perfectly sharp. It fees just as solid as the D300 only a little lighter. Wish it had a screen protector as I tend to lean the camera on its back when swapping lenses, but I have some stick on ones for mobile phones that I think I'll use instead.

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM
firewireguy
• • •
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

Here's some samples. All SOOC with no PP at all and no sharpening. It really handles overcast days superbly. All taken with the 17-55 2.8.

and a 100% crop

100% crop

ISO 4000

100% crop

Mar 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM
canondoc
• •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

firewireguy wrote:
I do find that when viewing images on the screen that they look a little blurred until you zoom in a notch and then they appear perfectly sharp.

This REALLY bugs me. It's not like they're just a little soft, they literally look blurred. Nikon needs to fix this. They could easily change the downsampling settings or something to make focus checking at a glance far better and more reliable.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:04 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

In the backyard today.

Quang V Ho 2013

Sparrow

NIKON D7100    850mm    f/8.0    1/2000s    800 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:44 AM
phlegmon
• •
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

lxdesign wrote:
ok, but how many people compare a high end car, to a hatchback? They are in different categories of product. Of course they are going to be different.

D7100 is high end?

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:20 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

phlegmon wrote:
D7100 is high end?

"The new flagship of Nikon's DX-format HD-SLR lineup."

If/untill we se a D400 equivalent this is as high end as it gets unless you go FullFrame.

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pcuddihy

p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

I also have discovered that when viewing images on the D7100's LCD they look a bit blurred until I press the playback zoom (plus symbol) button once. That seems to sharpen the appearance of the (viewed) image considerably.

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:51 PM
canondoc
• •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

I really hope the word gets out or dpreview mentions it. It needs to get more exposure because nikon could release an easy firmware fix for the image smoothness on review.

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:07 AM
kapytalyst
• • •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

mpix345 wrote:
I am a Canon user. I would like to upgrade, but here is my concern. I have found the 7D with an f/2.8 lens to be insufficient to shoot kids sports in marginally lit gyms. I almost jumped to the D7000 a few months back, thinking it would provide some improvement, but I never did.

Now I'm looking at the D7100, thinking it will be a marked improvement in terms of usable iso and getting those sort of dark gym shots, but comments like this one lead me to believe that it is almost status quo from the D7000. Is there
...Show more

This sounds to me like you're about to make a serious mistake. Canon makes a bunch of great lenses for you to shoot at f/2. They're not zooms, of course, but you don't need a zoom to shoot bball.

(......Waiting for TeamSpeed to jump in here any second.....)

Mar 25, 2013 at 01:33 PM
BugLightGeek
• • •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

rd4tile & binary_visions...
How is the buffer performing when shooting sequences & bursts in RAW?

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:06 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

I've posted my findings a couple times in the thread

Given that it's 11 pages, my quick recap is that my Sandisk Extreme Pro cards clear the buffer in <3 seconds from the time the camera stops shooting to when the buffer is completely empty, in 14-bit RAW you can get about 2.5 FPS basically forever, and in 12-bit RAW you can get about 3 FPS forever.

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:10 PM
BugLightGeek
• • •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

lol...thanks.
So, if I shoot a burst until the buffer's full, it will take about 3 seconds to clear the buffer before I can shoot again, correct?

Do you set your FPS for Continuous Low to 3 FPS or something to help?

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:16 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

binary visions wrote:
I've posted my findings a couple times in the thread

Given that it's 11 pages, my quick recap is that my Sandisk Extreme Pro cards clear the buffer in <3 seconds from the time the camera stops shooting to when the buffer is completely empty, in 14-bit RAW you can get about 2.5 FPS basically forever, and in 12-bit RAW you can get about 3 FPS forever.

+1 - that sounds about right.

What was bothering me initially with my slower (133X) cards was I'd get that initial 6-7 shot burst but I wasn't getting any buffer recovery like I was used to on the D600. You sort of learn to subconsciously time your bursts to not let the body get to far behind and that wasn't working at all initially with the 7100. With the Sandisk Extreme pros I got back to feeling comfortable with that.

Edited on Mar 25, 2013 at 08:15 PM · View previous versions

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:28 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

BugLightGeek wrote:
lol...thanks.
So, if I shoot a burst until the buffer's full, it will take about 3 seconds to clear the buffer before I can shoot again, correct?

Do you set your FPS for Continuous Low to 3 FPS or something to help?

No, it will shoot prior to the 3 seconds being up. It takes 3 seconds from the time that the camera first quits shooting until the buffer is completely clear. If you put the camera on Continuous High, you'll hit the buffer limit and then the camera will pause briefly, and start shooting at about an average of 2.5 FPS in 14-bit RAW. It will continue doing that essentially forever.

I set my CL to 3 FPS and stay there are majority of the time. Even with my D300, which didn't have the buffer limits of the D7100, that was usually what I stuck with.

Mar 25, 2013 at 06:30 PM
BugLightGeek
• • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

ok...that does seem to alleviate some of the concern around the buffer.

On Continuous High, how many shots can you get at 12-bit RAW until you hit a buffer slow-down?
Then, about long would you estimate the 'pause' is until you can start shooting again?

Mar 25, 2013 at 07:59 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

The "pause" in 14-bit on CH is very short, maybe a third of a second. I tried to shoot some wave forms for you using a recorder but ran out of time this morning to load them onto the computer and into an audio editor to display the wave forms. It's not really possible to time without recording the sound - it's less of a "pause" and more of a hiccup in the regular shooting.

I just shot a 15-second button mash of 14-bit files on CH, and in 15 seconds I recorded 48 files.

In 12-bit, it behaves very similarly - you get the pause at about the same time as 14-bit, maybe one frame later, but when it resumes shooting after the hiccup, it shoots at a slightly faster rate. My unscientific 15-second button-mash test results in 59 files.

Again, a waveform of the shutter sound would allow much more precise timings. I might do it at lunch if I get a few minutes.

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM
       12       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

12       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password