Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              11       12       end

Archive 2013 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impres...

binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

lxdesign wrote:
ok, but how many people compare a high end car, to a hatchback? They are in different categories of product. Of course they are going to be different.

There is no replacement for the D300. Thus, people will be and have been replacing their D300 with a camera that is similar in most meaningful ways, which means the D7x00 series.

I did not say, "hey guys, the D4 doesn't feel as good as the D3100." I did not say, "hey guys, I'm totally shocked by the fact that these cameras are different." I compared two cameras that are targeted primarily by similar enthusiast markets, will be compared over and over again due to this similar positioning in the market, and stated that the ergonomic difference was substantial and meaningful.

Back on the original topic, since pedantic nitpicking is interesting to exactly nobody, I also find that the microphone location is substantially better than the previous location to the left of the lens. I did some video recording with a friend's D600 and that microphone picked up a bunch of the mechanical noise of focusing or camera handling. The new mic location on top of the viewfinder housing seems to avoid all of that - very nice.

Mar 14, 2013 at 08:04 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

lxdesign wrote:
ok, but how many people compare a high end car, to a hatchback? They are in different categories of product. Of course they are going to be different.

Since so many people are saying it IS the replacement for the D300s, I don't find the comparison odd at all. Nikon could eliminate that discussion (or validate it) if they'd make an announcement on whether a D400 is coming...

Mar 14, 2013 at 08:14 PM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

I just got my d7100. I am very impressed so far. They put alot of thought into refining the body and performance. Ill try to post up some shots tonight. So far I'm really liking This camera alot! I handles like my d600's just a little smaller. So I think it's a great upgrade... Ill know
More as I spend time with it this weekend.

Edited on Mar 14, 2013 at 08:22 PM · View previous versions

Mar 14, 2013 at 08:17 PM
Cubfan
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

I look at it this way... my buddy got a Mustang GT a few years ago. I got the 2012 model and got the V6 that actually has more horsepower and better gas mileage than his. Yeah, it isn't a GT, but it has some advantages I can use.

Much better than the high-end vs. hatchback comparison.

If the D7100 has better resolution, higher pixel count for better cropping ability, significantly better video, equal or better autofocus, and better high-ISO performance, I can deal with the lack of fps (which I never used on the D300s), the smaller body that I can get used to, missing flash cord socket, several buttons and switches I never used, and the missing AF-On button, as long as I can map the existing AE-lock button to be AF-On.

Like the lack of the GT badge, some might look down their noses at my camera and say, "Hey, that's not professional model." My ego can take it.

Mar 14, 2013 at 08:19 PM
firewireguy
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

+1 Cubfan!

Mar 14, 2013 at 08:28 PM
sb in ak
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

I think people are making the comparisons to the D300 because Nikon has failed to update that camera. Therefore, you could make the jump that the D7100 is a replacement for both. So, the comparison is not totally unwarranted IMHO.

Mar 14, 2013 at 08:56 PM
edl415
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

I hope this thread stays on topic and doesn't digress into a "why the D7100 doesn't replace D300 thread." That's wishful thinking but I'll try to bring it back on topic.

binary visions - how is the AF? The D300 and D7100 use some version of the CAM3500DX module. Do they both snap to focus, track, etc about the same? AF improved over D7K?

Mar 14, 2013 at 08:56 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

The only lens I have here at work is my 35mm f/1.8 (I dropped it in my jacket pocket on the way to the store) so I don't really have a good basis yet.

I didn't use the D7000 extensively enough except to note that it did not perform as well as the D300 did for the settings and uses I experimented with. A lot of people have stated that the D7K was fine when configured right, but I can't speak to that. It was, to me, clearly not as good when I used it in the same way as the D300.

I will be playing with the D300 and D7100, and will update when I feel like I've got enough information to speak intelligently about it.

Mar 14, 2013 at 09:05 PM
agelessphotog
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

I would love to know how the low light/iso on it compares to the D7000.

Mar 14, 2013 at 09:17 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

Steve Beck wrote:
I just got my d7100. I am very impressed so far. They put alot of thought into refining the body and performance. Ill try to post up some shots tonight. So far I'm really liking This camera alot! I handles like my d600's just a little smaller. So I think it's a great upgrade... Ill know
More as I spend time with it this weekend.

ditto on the handling vs the D600, they feel very much alike, literally DX version of the D600 with better screens AFAIC.

I've got to go look at a job this afternoon but my first impression of the images: WOW they look just like 800E files and these are jpegs SOOC with default settings.

It's probably just my imagination but the AF feels a tiny bit snappier then the D600 with the 70-200 f4 (definitely not any slower)

New rear screen and VF LCD are wonderful.

High ISO - have to do some comparisons but the few shots appeared more noisy compared to the D600 - 6400 and above. Again these are jpegs which aren't subject my normal workflow since Aperture doesn't support the RAW files yet.

This is my first Nikon body with a crop sensor. I'm amazed how much less digital looking the files are vs the Canon crop sensors. (which always had a different look to me then the 1 series sensors)

Mar 14, 2013 at 09:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

Avi B wrote:
David, I got a colleague who swears his Subaru Impreza is a sports car...

So you drive something that is quicker than an Impreza WRX
half your luck

Tim

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:07 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

So... I have a 1.7x TC that I put on both a 300mm f/4 and 200-400 f/4, making those lenses f/6.7.

My D300 focuses adequately with this combo. Slower than without the teleconverter, but it gets there most of the time. If I point it into a dark area, it won't lock or won't focus. Just did a little testing and found a few heavily shaded areas outside where I could get the D300 to hunt or not lock at all.

Tested the D7100 with it, and it focuses almost as fast as without the teleconverter, and never failed to get a lock, even when the D300 simply refused to find something to lock onto. Woah. I'll take some ergonomic changes for this kind of focus speed. Color me amazed.

Tracking, etc. tomorrow.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:15 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

Just picked mine up. I had no illusions it would be a D300 or D700 body. It's a takeoff of the D600 body. It's exactly what I expected physically. Will see later how it performs.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:18 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

Hey binary visions, any chance you can take an ISO 100 raw that's underepxosed by 5 stops then bring up the exposure in post and see if the image has banding like the D5200 has? Something with both midtone and shadow detail would work best.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:53 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

You bet. I'm out of the house tonight but will do it tomorrow.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM
MichGoBlue
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

Just picked mine up today at a local camera shop (shout out to the great folks at Kenmore Camera). It was the last body in the shop so I decided to go ahead and pick it up after taking some test shots and fooling with the settings.

I had brought my 300 2.8 AFS II to see how it compared with my D7000. I must say that the AF seemed quite a bit quicker and more accurate on the cars going by than my D7000. Handling and controls obviously seemed about the same, though the D7100 feels like it has a bigger handgrip on the right side - a little wider and maybe a little deeper. The D7100 also feels a little more rubberier, but that could be because the rubber is a lot newer is all or it could be the increased weather sealing. Shot some test shots around the office and performance seems comparable to my D7000. The 1.3 crop mode is easy to switch into and out of, but I wasn't overly impressed with the results. I normally shoot field sports so will give it a shot this weekend and see how the crop mode compares to using regular mode and a 1.4TC on my 300 2.8. Mostly I am curious to see how much better the AF performance is overall as compared to the D7000.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

I bought a D7100 several hours ago and have been out shooting with it. While at the store I also put a couple of my lenses (Nikon 17-55m f2.8 & 70-200mm f2.8 VR) on various cameras. Some thoughts. The D7000 & D600 were noticeably slower to focus with both lenses, less apparent with 17-55mm. On the longer lens the difference was more noticeable. When I added a TC-17e to the 70-200mm the focus time became significantly longer on the D7000/d600, and focus was slower to acquire. Focus was also slower to acquire in dim light with the 17-55mm f2.8. I was in their stock room with the lights turned down low to test. The controls are not as well laid out as the d300 but much better than the D5100. The menu was easy to figure out even without a manual. CLS worked flawlessly with my SB-900. I took some test shots using the 70-200mm lens on all three cameras, shooting at ISO 2000 (the highest I ever use at a wedding,) shooting NEF and high res jpg. Store employees saw no difference in image quality from any of the three cameras on an Eizo graphics monitor. when you zoom in to actual pixels the D7100 obviously has more res than the d7000 but only one store employee said he saw any difference from the D600 (daytime shot at ISO 400.) My conclusion so far: if you shoot sports or wildlife, this is Nikon's best camera unless you spend the money for a D4. It's a better camera overall than the d7000/d600, largely due to superior AF (both subject acquistion and sheer speed.) If you don't shoot moving subjects the difference isn't really noticeable. Build quality felt very solid, more so than the D80/D90 series but not quite D800. I certainly didn't get the feeling it was fragile though. I like the size and the camera seems to work for me. I have no doubt it will do well as a wedding camera too, especially with its improved AF system--that's easily equal to the D300 there. The only thing holding it back is the short buffer. Even with that, I think this is very clearly Nikon's best camera for the money. It will almost certainly be a killer sports/wildlife camera paired with the new 80-400mm AFS! So far, I like it. There's a chance i will keep it even if a D400 comes out. I twisted the local dealer's arm a little and got a free Nikon battery thrown in ($80), along with some free film processing. It was a better deal than I would have got online for sure.

Kent in SD

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

binary visions wrote:
So... I have a 1.7x TC that I put on both a 300mm f/4 and 200-400 f/4, making those lenses f/6.7.

My D300 focuses adequately with this combo. Slower than without the teleconverter, but it gets there most of the time. If I point it into a dark area, it won't lock or won't focus. Just did a little testing and found a few heavily shaded areas outside where I could get the D300 to hunt or not lock at all.

Tested the D7100 with it, and it focuses almost as fast as without the teleconverter, and never failed to get
...Show more

Yes--that's what I was finding. Especially with the TC-17e added to my 70-200mm f2.8, the new d7100 was significantly faster than the D7000/d600! In fact, it was locking focus in light conditions several stops slower too. I think anyone buying a camera priced between $1,000 and the D800 needs to very seriously consider the D7100. For the money, I'd rather have two D7100 than one D800 but that's another subject.

Kent inS D

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:36 PM
billsnature
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

Two pages of posts and nobody is talking about anything other than Knobs, and body bumps!!!

If you could all get over your breast obsessions....

Could one of you at least be so kind as to find a cat or a stray dog, and post some pictures of how 24 MPX without an AA filter looks in real life?

Thanks in advance, I need to go pet my non-photogenic cat now

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.

Binary Visions, I think that you're right on the money about the ergonomics/handling issues when coming from a d300 style body. I had the same issues when I added the d7000 to my kit, a year ago. But, when you have a clear advantage for IQ, the ergos/handling have to take second spot, and you can adapt to it, IMO.

I haven't ordered a d7100 yet and don't know that I will. It has a lot of good things going for it, at least on paper, so I'm hoping that it will turn out to be a killer camera. Looking forward to lots of cool shots from you guys.

Kerry

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password