Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              11       12       end
  

Archive 2013 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impres...
  
 
binary visions
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


Just thought I'd kick it off since I imagine that many of us will be getting this camera in the next few days/weeks and might like a place to dump off first impressions or a couple shots or what-have-you.

I placed a pre-order with Amazon with an expected ship date of 03/14, but contacted them today and they said my expected arrival date is April 25th. D'oh.

Called a local shop that I hadn't dealt with before and found out they had one left unclaimed. 15 minutes later it was in my hands.

First impressions: this is a definite downgrade from the D300 body that I love so much. Smaller hand positioning, rubber coatings not as "rubbery," mildly obnoxious locking/unlocking mechanisms on the configuration dials on the left. I was hoping to be over-rating the importance of this to me, but it does not appear to be that way - it was instantly evident from the first moment and has not been better in the first hour of handling. It's tolerable for sure - I don't hate it, it's just a very clear difference. It's lighter, which will be nice for travel, but I will have to evaluate, if a D400 is released, whether the ergonomics are worth the upgrade.

The OLED display overlay in the viewfinder is a clear upgrade. No doubt about it - everything is brighter, crisper, easier to read.

I like the new AF switch - it's much harder to knock out of place. I know it's old hat to owners of newer cameras, but I do think it's a better way to handle the AF modes.

Anyone else snagged theirs yet?



Edited to add: There's lots of information in this thread but the question of buffer and shutter speeds has come up several times, so here's a waveform I did of the D7100 with a 32gb Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card in it. You can see the file names on the left. CH is Continuous High, CL is set to 3 FPS.

Link to the full 8.5 second screen shot (it's 1900px wide at full view):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzEU13Sx4K3YRmdIbVR6V0pQNFE/edit?usp=sharing



Edited on Mar 26, 2013 at 01:09 PM · View previous versions



Mar 14, 2013 at 06:09 PM
firewireguy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


Mine should hopefully be here next Thursday from Amazon UK. I don't really want a smaller cam than the D300, but something lighter would be welcome! I think I will tolerate some minor adjustments to the ergonomics for the sake of better images.


Mar 14, 2013 at 06:37 PM
lxdesign
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


binary visions wrote:
First impressions: this is a definite downgrade from the D300 body that I love so much. Smaller hand positioning, rubber coatings not as "rubbery," mildly obnoxious locking/unlocking mechanisms on the configuration dials on the left. I was hoping to be over-rating the importance of this to me, but it does not appear to be that way - it was instantly evident from the first moment and has not been better in the first hour of handling. It's tolerable for sure - I don't hate it, it's just a very clear difference. It's lighter, which will be nice for travel,
...Show more



So what you're saying is that its more like the D7000 than the D300?

Edited on Mar 14, 2013 at 06:43 PM · View previous versions



Mar 14, 2013 at 06:42 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


The battery grip significantly helped the ergonomics of the D7000. Should be the same for the D7100.




Mar 14, 2013 at 06:43 PM
binary visions
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


lxdesign wrote:
So what you're saying is that its more like the D7000 than the D300?


Yes, it's more like the D7000 than the D300... but with the caveat that I found the D7000 to be very uncomfortable. The grip was too shallow and the materials were even more like plastic. With the D7100, it is much more comfortable than the D7000.

It's just not as nice as the D300 - and I don't think a grip will help. It's not the portrait shooting or the height that are a problem, the grip is just not as large or shaped the same as the D300. If you aren't spoiled by a D300/D700/D800 or one of the pro bodies, it's unlikely to even be an issue, but I think that body series is one of the most comfortable on the market.



Mar 14, 2013 at 06:49 PM
firewireguy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


binary visions wrote:
It's just not as nice as the D300 - and I don't think a grip will help. It's not the portrait shooting or the height that are a problem, the grip is just not as large or shaped the same as the D300. If you aren't spoiled by a D300/D700/D800 or one of the pro bodies, it's unlikely to even be an issue, but I think that body series is one of the most comfortable on the market.


I know what you mean, I still miss the grip on my old D2H. you could carry that by your side on your finger tips all day long and not need your thumb.



Mar 14, 2013 at 06:57 PM
sic0048
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


binary visions wrote:
First impressions: . ..... mildly obnoxious locking/unlocking mechanisms on the configuration dials on the left....


- I guess Nikon cannot make everyone happy. I for one hate the D7000 mode selection dial which has no lock and is very easy to bump and change without realizing it. Every time I take the camera out of the bag, the dial has been moved to something else. Not a deal breaker, but certainly annoying.

Now that Nikon put a lock on the dial selector, a whole new crop of people are going to complain that there is a lock and the fact that they want a body without the lock!



Mar 14, 2013 at 07:02 PM
binary visions
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


Actually, I don't mind the fact that it locks... I just find the placement weird. My D300 is very easy to unlock/turn because the lock button is in the front of the dial, and then you can use your thumb to move the dial. This is the S/CL/CH/Q/etc. button that I'm talking about.

With this camera, you have to use your thumb to press the unlock button, and use your index finger to turn the wheel, which is a little difficult and imprecise.



Mar 14, 2013 at 07:05 PM
Loren E
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


sic0048 wrote:
- I guess Nikon cannot make everyone happy. I for one hate the D7000 mode selection dial which has no lock and is very easy to bump and change without realizing it. Every time I take the camera out of the bag, the dial has been moved to something else. Not a deal breaker, but certainly annoying.

Now that Nikon put a lock on the dial selector, a whole new crop of people are going to complain that there is a lock and the fact that they want a body without the lock!


Amen! So glad they added a lock! Have it on the D600 and it's way better.



Mar 14, 2013 at 07:06 PM
Cubfan
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


OK, my local camera store has it, too. Now the question is when will Amazon deliver, and can I wait?


Mar 14, 2013 at 07:26 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



VinnieJ
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


Cubfan wrote:
OK, my local camera store has it, too. Now the question is when will Amazon deliver, and can I wait?


For the rest of us Illinoisians, which camera shop?



Mar 14, 2013 at 07:29 PM
binary visions
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


Cubfan wrote:
OK, my local camera store has it, too. Now the question is when will Amazon deliver, and can I wait?


If you contact Amazon's customer service through chat, they are very prompt and helpful and they'll tell you what your expected arrival date is.



Mar 14, 2013 at 07:30 PM
Cubfan
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


Peoria.


Mar 14, 2013 at 07:31 PM
lxdesign
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


The 7100 is an update on the D7000... not the D300 or 300s ... so I don't get where that comparison is coming from. It's in a different league.


Mar 14, 2013 at 07:37 PM
Cubfan
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


binary visions wrote:
If you contact Amazon's customer service through chat, they are very prompt and helpful and they'll tell you what your expected arrival date is.


Even though I preordered within a couple of hours after it was announced, they have estimated April 25 ship date. I'm willing to wait a week or so, but that is far too long. Looks like a local purchase will be made.



Mar 14, 2013 at 07:38 PM
stratlanta
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


I just ordered one on Amazon - kind of a flyer since there really are no reviews out or concrete info on performance. BUT, I need to upgrade my current camera before a trip I have coming up, so I'm giving it a shot!


Mar 14, 2013 at 07:42 PM
binary visions
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


lxdesign wrote:
The 7100 is an update on the D7000... not the D300 or 300s ... so I don't get where that comparison is coming from. It's in a different league.


What don't you understand about it?

I am not claiming the D7100 is a direct replacement for the D300. I am stating that I possess a D300, and am making a direct comparison to the ergonomics of that camera body.

This is not complicated. I am not, and will not be, the only user to replace their D300 with a D7100, especially since there is no D300 replacement. I hope that some people looking to do the same will find my comparison useful. If you do not find my comparison useful, and have nothing interesting to contribute, then feel free to skip over it and move on



Mar 14, 2013 at 07:42 PM
lxdesign
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


ok, but how many people compare a high end car, to a hatchback? They are in different categories of product. Of course they are going to be different.


Mar 14, 2013 at 07:47 PM
firewireguy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


I think it's a fair comparison. In almost every way that matters to me the D7100 is a big step up form my D300.


Mar 14, 2013 at 07:52 PM
Avi B
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · The "I just got my D7100" thread - first impressions, chatter, etc.


David, I got a colleague who swears his Subaru Impreza is a sports car...



Mar 14, 2013 at 07:53 PM
1
       2       3              11       12       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              11       12       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password