New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

ShutteredMe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

Maybe a mistake but Samys have the D7100 pre-order with a $100 rebate?
http://www.samys.com/p/Digital-SLRS/1513/D7100-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body/121838.html

Mar 14, 2013 at 03:28 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

Ever heard of a SCAM?

Does not seem like a reputable dealer:
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Samy_s_Camera

Mar 14, 2013 at 07:24 AM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

I bought a 20D from Samy's when Canon first introduced them so they've been around for a while. I don't remember any issues but perhaps they've changed their MO. Those ratings Andre posted sure don't look too great! I've noticed a lot of Calif sellers will offer a better deal to offset the sales tax we have to pay here.

Mar 14, 2013 at 08:15 AM
Nickyb21
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

Nikon would never have a $100 rebate on a body only off a release.

Mar 14, 2013 at 08:16 AM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

Nickyb21 wrote:
Nikon would never have a $100 rebate on a body only off a release.

I think it's safe to say this is not a Nikon rebate which makes the offer more suspect!

Mar 14, 2013 at 08:38 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

I never had an issue with Samy's.

Don't buy a lot of gear from them, but I did buy two higher end lenses from them. Both times they arrived in one day and were packed very well.

Don't think they are a scam company. They have several brick and mortar stores. Have nice customer service reps.

I think the reseller rating have to be considered, but are not the ultimate decision making factor. Just do a real search here for Samy's or Samys...

An example - They have been discussed here before: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1194973/0?keyword=Samy,s#11394578

Their pdf ad had a couple Nikon bodies that were offered with $100 off. It's possible that they made a mistake and it carried over to the new SKU when that added the D7100. Or, it was intentional to compete with Amazon gift cards, and other giveaways... Or even a way to compete nationally due to ridiculous Kalifornia sales tax. Who knows...

Edited on Mar 14, 2013 at 09:39 AM · View previous versions

Mar 14, 2013 at 09:00 AM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

Andre Labonte wrote:
Ever heard of a SCAM?

Does not seem like a reputable dealer:
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Samy_s_Camera

I don't think Samys is a bad store front. I've bought and rent lens from them a few times in Tustin, CA. They also have another store in Los Angeles as well. Mistake maybe but not scam. Not sure about the ratings, but I've never had any issue with them. They do price match with on-line stores like B&H and Adorama. You just have to ask them. I've done it a couple of times.

Mar 14, 2013 at 09:13 AM
edl415
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

They are a reputable dealer, I've visited their Costa Mesa store and took a friend to their West LA/MDR store to buy a starter SLR. They have 5-6 locations throughout Socal. Most likely this was a pricing error, since the original link no longer shows a $100 rebate.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

The $100 rebate is available on other stores like BHPhoto as well. However the rebate is only for the kit version, not for the body only version - they probably added the rebate to body only option as a mistake. In fact NikonRumors had already posted a few days ago that D7100 kit will be launched in stores with a $100 rebate.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

Yeah I just got off the phone with the store in Santa Ana. Rebate on-line was a mistake.
The good news is they have 18 D7100 in the warehouse in LA. 11 of the 18 has been spoken for. If you want one for tomorrow, you have to call them quick so they can call the warehouse and have it truck to the store tomorrow. I just put 10% deposit down so I can have one to play with on the weekend....

-Quang

Mar 14, 2013 at 03:53 PM
edl415
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

Quang, make sure you add your intial impressions to this thread - particularly interested in how you find the AF and IQ.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1197136

Mar 14, 2013 at 04:04 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

ShutteredMe wrote:
I don't think Samys is a bad store front. I've bought and rent lens from them a few times in Tustin, CA. They also have another store in Los Angeles as well. Mistake maybe but not scam. Not sure about the ratings, but I've never had any issue with them. They do price match with on-line stores like B&H and Adorama. You just have to ask them. I've done it a couple of times.

It may or may not be a scam, but the ratings speak loud enough for me. They'll not get my business.

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

ShutteredMe wrote:
I just put 10% deposit down so I can have one to play with on the weekend....

-Quang

Oh great, now I'll get to look at your stuff and then have to try and figure out what I'm doing wrong! (won't be able to blame it on the body)

I do think the AF is absolutely gonna rock on this body! I had the 2X on the 70-200 and it was just snapping into focus.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

Andre Labonte wrote:
It may or may not be a scam, but the ratings speak loud enough for me. They'll not get my business.

There is something wrong with those reviews. Either there is somebody out there who is trying to get them and is inventing fake reviews (very poorly though), or there is something wrong with some of the people who visit the store and then write those reviews. I only read the last two poor reviews. One was a guy who claims he can never close a transaction in that store yet he keeps going back again and again, 4 times by himself, plus other times with friends. Another guy complains that the extended warranty he bought would only cover repairing the camera and not a free upgrade to a better model. Give me a break.

All I heard about this store were good things. I don't have personal experience so I can't vouch for them. But I'm certainly not going to put any stock into those insane write ups.

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:50 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

Thorsten wrote:
There is something wrong with those reviews. Either there is somebody out there who is trying to get them and is inventing fake reviews (very poorly though), or there is something wrong with some of the people who visit the store and then write those reviews. I only read the last two poor reviews. One was a guy who claims he can never close a transaction in that store yet he keeps going back again and again, 4 times by himself, plus other times with friends. Another guy complains that the extended warranty he bought would only cover repairing the
...Show more

Seriously, you only read 2 of the reviews and you have never done business with them personally and you are criticizing my position? I'll go with the statistical data of your non-data driven antedote ... and for all I know you are an employee there ... either way, it's not something I can verify.

To each their own. But to me it's all about risk mitigation. There are enough other reputable dealers out there with excellent ratings why would I wast my time or risk it with Samy's just to save a few bucks? Good luck to you.

Mar 15, 2013 at 06:28 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

Samy's is an authorized Nikon reseller. Don't confuse bad customer service with online scam because of a rebate mistake posted online. I'm all for avoiding them if their customer service is poor but I'm not going to flame them as being scammers.

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:19 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

I can understand looking at reseller ratings as one piece of information on a company. But discounting, or ignoring actual testimonials by known members of the FM community right here regarding a company, and placing more weight on those nameless, faceless "reseller ratings" internet postings is silly. Use common sense, weigh all the evidence.

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:44 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

ckcarr wrote:
I can understand looking at reseller ratings as one piece of information on a company. But discounting, or ignoring actual testimonials by known members of the FM community right here regarding a company, and placing more weight on those nameless, faceless "reseller ratings" internet postings is silly. Use common sense, weigh all the evidence.

I don't know these FM's any better than the people on reseller ... a few testimonials here are antedotal ... 50+ reviews on resller is starting to become statistical and much more valid.

Part of it is this ... there are so many OTHER vendors with excellent ratings, why take the chance?

Mar 15, 2013 at 08:44 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

VinnieJ wrote:
Samy's is an authorized Nikon reseller. Don't confuse bad customer service with online scam because of a rebate mistake posted online. I'm all for avoiding them if their customer service is poor but I'm not going to flame them as being scammers.

Agreed on both counts. But given the bad rating, I will not discount scamming either ... authorized Nikon dealer or not ...

Mar 15, 2013 at 08:47 AM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D7100 body only $100 rebate at Samys

Andre, I can see where you're coming from. Not having a Samys near by, have never work with them before and seeing all the negative reviews, can make people suspicious. I get it, but calling them scammer because of a pricing mistake? Com'on man! B&H and other larger Internet presence make pricing mistakes all the time. Do we call them scammers?
Fortunately for me, they are near by and I have been buying from them a lot since early 2000s. I'd never have issue with them regarding my purchase and will most like will do business with them in the future.

Mar 15, 2013 at 09:29 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.