New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lens-specific hoods vs generic

Nikon_14
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens-specific hoods vs generic

From a standpoint of reducing flare & other "stuff", is there a considerable difference between a hood specifically designed for a lens, or do generics do just as well?

Would love to hear from a knowledgeable source on this...

I recently donated my Nikon 24mm f/1.4 hood to the streets of DC or Annapolis. So I was a bit shocked to find that an HB-51, the Nikon replacement, would be $50:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/675843-REG/Nikon_4346_HB_51_Bayonet_Lens_Hood.html

The $15 alternative:
VELHS77II
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=VELHS77II&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Mar 13, 2013 at 01:16 PM
DABNIK
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens-specific hoods vs generic

FWIW - I have replaced any missing\damaged hoods with the "cheapies" from Hong Kong on EB. For a few $$, they ship to your door & no tax. They work just as well for me preventing flare & damage to the front of the lens.

Mar 13, 2013 at 01:31 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens-specific hoods vs generic

A third party hood will reduce flare as well as a Nikon hood will.

The disadvantage, in my opinion, is that many third party hoods use the filter threads instead of the bayonet mount to attach the hood. This means that it can interfere with the lens cap (depending on the type of hood, it my require a new, smaller lens cap), and it definitely will interfere with filters, where you will have to remove the hood to install the filter, and depending on the lens you can cause vingetting by doing this.

So... functionally, they accomplish their task, it just depends on the lens what the quirks will be. The one you linked looks like it's going to require a smaller lens cap than the 77mm one that comes with the lens, so that's added expense, and I'd be surprised if you could use a filter and the hood without vingetting. Interesting that they don't state the size of the needed lens cap.

I've gone back to the Nikon bayonet style replacements after dealing with a couple third party ones that attached to the filter threads. I'd probably give a third party bayonet mount hood a try if I knew where to get one.

Mar 13, 2013 at 01:35 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens-specific hoods vs generic

There are some generic hoods that are basically complete copies of the Nikon and Canon hoods and work just as well. Adorama used to sell a lot of them and they work just fine. The one linked to, though, isn't and is kind of a pain as mentioned above.

Mar 14, 2013 at 06:49 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens-specific hoods vs generic

My favorite 3rd party hood

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/34098-REG/Mamiya_213_372_Lens_Hood_for_All.html

Used on the Nikon 80-200 af-d and the 80-200 af-s. I'd probably use it on the 70-200 VR if I had one.

Mar 14, 2013 at 07:09 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens-specific hoods vs generic

Binary, Roger,

Thanks.

So apparently it's like many other things, where there actually is a difference between the "over-priced" Nikon and the "affordable" generic stuff which, with a few exceptions (Sigma lenses), simply doesn't do the job as well (Zeikos grips, etc.)

Mar 15, 2013 at 05:54 AM
equestrianguy
• •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens-specific hoods vs generic

Don't be too surprised to see that some of the factories that make the "genuine" Nikon and Canon stuff also produce the knockoffs. The difference often being white paint. Even the knockoff lastolite boxes are virtually the same.

Mar 15, 2013 at 05:09 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens-specific hoods vs generic

Bought a Fotodiox for my 80-200 and although it fits, it doesn't line up properly. I won't buy third party again.

Mar 15, 2013 at 05:20 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens-specific hoods vs generic

equestrianguy wrote:
Don't be too surprised to see that some of the factories that make the "genuine" Nikon and Canon stuff also produce the knockoffs.

Can you give a SPECIFIC example for the HB-51? I.e., one that won't make things difficult w/ the cap and filter, as others have mentioned?

Mar 15, 2013 at 05:27 PM
equestrianguy
• •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens-specific hoods vs generic

Put it this way. When I was in China last year I saw first hand IMacs that looked like legit apple products except that they were missing the big apple. I'm pretty certain if they could make knock off cameras and lenses they certainly would however there are limiting factors in producing certain items.

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:03 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.