FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Bayer masks and DxO color depth measurements

JaanOs
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Bayer masks and DxO color depth measurements

24 Patch Classic target is close enough for vision but looking separate numbers... I never managed get close readings by the reference values after applying built profile in ACR and opening in PS.
But as it is close enough never bothered to find out is there a way to any further tinkering.
All information about building profiles actually in ACR "ends" somewhere in 2008-2009 (acr 4).

Mar 15, 2013 at 08:36 AM
theSuede
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Bayer masks and DxO color depth measurements

Getting an absolutely perfect colorimetric response isn't even a thing you'd want to do...

To get that you'd have to use straight contrast curves, flat contrast and so on. Changes in the contrast curve also changes color. If it's done right you don't get much hue change, but you do get a saturation change depending on how bright or dark the base color is before you apply the S-curve.

The color-checker is very good, and a high quality product. It basically has two limitations: There isn't that many unique pigments in it (they targeted a few select natural occurring colors, like two special types of foliage, human skintones and so on), and software options are kind of limited. There's also the smaller, plastic-case Passport version
http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?id=1257
The passport software is limiting the product I think. It's not very good in color results. Adobe's free ProfileEditor - that also works with the passport, as long as you accept that the passport and the original larger CC24 doesn't have the exact same colors - is quite good for what it does, but kind of convoluted and slow. The software included in X-rite's pro solutions all cost from 1000€ and up depending on configuration (but they're good!).

If you want a cheaper but still very well functioning solution, and from an end result color PoV high quality product - look at the qpcard 203.
http://www.qpcard.com/en_b2c/color-reference-cards/qpcard-203-card.html

(NB!!!!!)
I do have an interest in QPcard, since I still get licensing fees for designing the ink formulations and part of the software for them. I can honestly say that I think it's a very good product though. The packaging isn't as neat as the passport (if you choose the booklet version), but the function is great and the software is free. Doesn't have full Capture One icc support yet though, only Adobe support.

Mar 15, 2013 at 09:37 AM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Bayer masks and DxO color depth measurements

I have been using the 24 patch GMB for ACR profiles since days of Thomas Fors script. One thing I noticed was that the profile creation process is sensitive to light uniformity and getting repeatable results from randomly placed card is not an easy task. I prefer the generated profiles over the Adobe ones, but I would recommend everyone who is interested in making their own profiles using GMB checker or similar to pay attention to lighting and making sure it is really uniform and there are no reflections or shadows from nearby trees, furniture etc.

The QPCards look interesting, from the images on their web site it seems that the pigments are more vivid than GMB. I wonder how is the SpyderCheckr doing with its 48 (not very saturated) patches.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.