Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · UPDATED: First female senior shoot

DigMeTX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · UPDATED: First female senior shoot

I have really enjoyed senior shoots and I'm hoping to break into doing some more. This was my first shoot with a female senior. I'll post some more when they're ready but here are two that I just previewed on my FB page. Like many people posing is one of my weak points and I'm really working to improve in that area.

Let me know what you think. I value big concept critiques more than lists of nitpicks.

One from the park

One from downtown

UPDATED:
Ok, I finished editing the set and I blogged it. Here are a few more:

brad

Edited on Mar 18, 2013 at 05:17 AM · View previous versions

Mar 13, 2013 at 04:19 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · UPDATED: First female senior shoot

Quote: "I value big concept critiques more than lists of nitpicks."

I guess that leave me out! I point out lots of nits.

I'm liking #1. Two things I notice - a bright spot in the background is taking attention away from her and the crop leaves more space above her head than I think is best. (that's a nit).

#2. Lovely smile and great eyes. Get both in the same frame for a winning shot. Imagine a smile on the #1 shot. I think you should have the #1 shot with several expressions.

My "Big Concept" critique is backgrounds. Never let the background distract from your model. Some pics will be bright (model) on dark (background). Others the opposite. Backgrounds that have bright spots or dark spots may distract from the model.
You can blur the background, but an OOF bright spot is still a distraction and a significant dark spot (when the model is the dark on a bright background) can also be an issue.

Mar 13, 2013 at 06:10 AM
gregSC
• • •
p.1 #3 · UPDATED: First female senior shoot

Jim Rickards wrote:
#2. Lovely smile and great eyes. Get both in the same frame for a winning shot. Imagine a smile on the #1 shot. I think you should have the #1 shot with several expressions.

I agree with this comment 100%

Greg

Mar 13, 2013 at 09:54 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #4 · UPDATED: First female senior shoot

What Jim said.
2 would have been perfect if you had the two combined...maybe there's one you haven't showed.
As Jim also suggested watch the backgrounds.

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #5 · UPDATED: First female senior shoot

Thanks.

Jim,

The space above her head will be helpful when they order 8x10s.

bbourizk wrote:
What Jim said.
2 would have been perfect if you had the two combined...maybe there's one you haven't showed.

Well I would certainly hope that I came out of the shoot with more than 3 photos!

Yes, I have plenty of pictures of her smiling. That diptych was just meant to show a bit of between-the-scenes.

brad

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #6 · UPDATED: First female senior shoot

Personally, I enjoy shooting girls for senior photos more than guys. They are usually more into having their photos taken and engage with the lens more naturally.

I think if these are the shots you chose to share, then you are probably feeling that they are representative of the shoot. Maybe I'm wrong? My big concept crit here is engagement. She is not engaged with the camera. Get her to bring some feeling through the lens and the other nits don't matter so much.

Mar 13, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Mataz426
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · UPDATED: First female senior shoot

The first shot looks like it was shot in mid day, the background is crap. Both shots are over exposed imo, not a big fan of the top down or looking up pose.

Mar 14, 2013 at 01:02 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #8 · UPDATED: First female senior shoot

Thanks for the critiques, my friends. I take them all very seriously.

Now that I'm finished editing the set I have added a few more in the op. Feel free to add more critiques.

Mataz,

The first shot was around 10:30. Certainly near the end of our shoot and later than I would like. 8:30 was as early as I could get them to meet so by the end of the shoot the sun is definitely creeping up. As I said I take all the comments seriously no matter how they're stated and I genuinely thank you for yours but I find it lacking in tact to use the word "crap" to critique a fellow FMer's work. Thank you.

brad

Mar 18, 2013 at 05:16 AM

ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #9 · UPDATED: First female senior shoot

Well - you certainly showed that my prior assumption was wrong! Lots of good 'engaged' shots in this second posting.

A few crits for you if you are up for it -

3) I love her happy expression here, but I'm not a fan of the spot lighting. It looks like sunlight creeping through from an opening? The color toning of the light just isn't matching to my eye.

4) I like her eyes in this one. The pose is a little stiff and maybe forced to be a touch to much "hey check out my shoulder" feeling. If she was a few more degrees facing the camera it would feel more natural. Again, the yellow light spot is not matching the rest of the light.

5) Cute expressions. Nits: her left hand looks oddly colored; kind of grayish. Also, her fingers extended as they are make her look a little like she has claws of some sort. I try and avoid long stretched fingers where I can.

6) Again, really cute expression captured here. I'm just not getting on with all the yellow lighting.

7) Well done, although as someone who shoots senior girls, I've never cared for this laying on the back look.

8) Don't care for either of these. I usually don't like the facing a wall or tree or anything like that, but you did well with it in #6. The shooting through the leaves on the right side just doesn't work here. Too much foreground stuff for my taste.

Overall - I like the expressions very much in several of these, and my comments are more on the detail side of things.

Ed

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #10 · UPDATED: First female senior shoot

Thanks a lot, Ed.

Regarding the light colors:
On 3 and 4 that is how the light actually looked right there. On 3 I didn't do any reflecting, diffusing, etc.. There was just this one spot of sunshine on the wall. On 4 I had a diffuser between her and the sun but that's just the color of the yellow morning sun and the far side of her is cooler from shadow I believe. Perhaps I should have warmed that far side up in post or cooled down the key.

With 6 the color was a reflection of all of that wall around her. I probably should have done some more color adjusting but honestly I kind of liked the tone. Maybe I'm the only one!

I especially appreciate your posing tips. Even if it was something I already noticed it helps put it in my head for the next time. That thumb hanging out on 8 definitely bothers me.. I would be ok with the fingers from the side if it weren't for the thumb.

brad

Mar 18, 2013 at 01:32 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · UPDATED: First female senior shoot

Brad, I'm loving these. You really need to get into this more. As you've already said, this is not a complete set. HS Senior girls put a lot of thought into everything they wear for their shoot, and especially includes their shoes. I'm sure you have plenty for her, but even in a set like this for us, you'll usually want to include a full body shot, even more of an environmental shot.

No. 1 just rocks it for me. Love it. 2a not so much due to angle, but 2b I really like.

No. 3, I like a lot. Her face is really broad due to the light and she's squinting a bit, but it still works for me. With the light on her the way it is, I'd consider the shaded area a vignette and really work it. Right now, the shaded area is very bland, the color is not saturated, no contrast -- which is opposite of her face in the light. So add some contrast/clarity and color to the shaded area and I think the whole image will really pop.

4. Her face looks even broader here, just don't like this one. Might just be me.

5b, love; 6, love; 7, I really love this shot. Even Ed likes it, and he doesn't even like this shot!

8a and b, love! Great job! Let's see some more senior girls from you!

Mar 18, 2013 at 06:25 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #12 · UPDATED: First female senior shoot

Wow, thanks a lot, Ron! Thanks for being encouraging while also offering up critique. I would love to get some more senior girls up here. I'm working on trying to book another right now - mom saw this set and wants to book me.

I know what you're saying about the broad lighting, which I should have avoided.

I do have some full body shots. I wasn't crazy about them but maybe that's all the more reason to post them here and get critiques. It feels harder to me to get good full length shots vs. cloesups. Here are a couple:

One of the first shots of the day so a little stiff and I don't like the straight arm of course:

brad

Mar 18, 2013 at 06:43 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #13 · UPDATED: First female senior shoot

I had another female senior shoot this morning and some of your repeated critiques here helped me to keep some things firmly in my head so thanks again to every single one if you. The shoot went well despite being heavily clouded this morning. Sun and blue sky would have been really nice as this one was at a golf course. I'll post a new thread when they're ready.

brad

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM
bruce13turner
• •
p.1 #14 · UPDATED: First female senior shoot

Brad:

#1 is my favorite of the set.

Overall I really like these. Normally, I'm a stickler for backgrounds, but these don't bother me at all. What jumps out at me in most of the images is her face appears to be overexposed (whether in camera or from post). That really grabs most of my attention...

My monitor is recently calibrated, but I could be wrong...

Thanks!
Bruce

Mar 24, 2013 at 02:35 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #15 · UPDATED: First female senior shoot

bruce13turner wrote:
Brad:

#1 is my favorite of the set.

Overall I really like these. Normally, I'm a stickler for backgrounds, but these don't bother me at all. What jumps out at me in most of the images is her face appears to be overexposed (whether in camera or from post). That really grabs most of my attention...

My monitor is recently calibrated, but I could be wrong...

Thanks!
Bruce

Thanks for the crit. I do tend to favor bright faces but I've had several comments about it being too bright. The faces aren't blown but I guess if I'm getting that comment regularly I should consider bringing them down a bit. My monitor is regularly calibrated but I didn't bring the brightness as high as my Spyder4 recommended according to my ambient light reading (which is pretty low).. it just seemed like the recommended setting was too bright but maybe I need to bring it up. My monitor brightness setting is getting close to maxed out as it is. My monitor must be dimmer than others because everyone always says you should have your brightness setting really low.

brad

Mar 25, 2013 at 03:06 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password