Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · MA - Possibility

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MA - Possibility

MA - Possibility... Are any of these good enough to enter in the MA (Lines)... How would you rank them (1 - 4)?? Any & all suggestions appreciated... Thank you, Jim

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    50mm    f/11.0    1/90s    50 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    50mm    f/2.0    1/2000s    50 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    50mm    f/11.0    20s    100 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    50mm    f/11.0    6s    200 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Mar 13, 2013 at 02:18 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MA - Possibility

They all look seriously over-sharpened to me.

Mar 13, 2013 at 02:45 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MA - Possibility

some serious artifacts in the first, especially notable in the sky.
2 does say lines but has nothing to make it stand out from other fence shots or probably other entries.
3 doesnt say lines to me at all
4 plays nicely with the diagonals, is a bit over-sharpened, might be a bit stronger if it played the line of attack theme a bit more strongly, with the king or queen under direct, linear threat.
Scott

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MA - Possibility

AuntiPode wrote:
They all look seriously over-sharpened to me.

Thank you Karen.. I agree with your assessment. Jim

Mar 13, 2013 at 01:11 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MA - Possibility

sbeme wrote:
some serious artifacts in the first, especially notable in the sky.
2 does say lines but has nothing to make it stand out from other fence shots or probably other entries.
3 doesnt say lines to me at all
4 plays nicely with the diagonals, is a bit over-sharpened, might be a bit stronger if it played the line of attack theme a bit more strongly, with the king or queen under direct, linear threat.
Scott

Thanks Scott.. I agree and will keep trying. Jim

Mar 13, 2013 at 01:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MA - Possibility

+1 @ Karen & Scott

#1 is the most arresting of the group, but the single LONG SKINNY line has never been one that I've found a good way to pull off in a comp. It becomes one that has little to engage the viewer, so the viewer can leave just as quickly as they stopped to check it out.

#2 is my favorite use of lines in your group, particularly the road supplementing the fence and the lane of grass between them, but it is an image theme that has been seen once or twice before, so won't likely gather much fanfare ... btw, CONGRATS on your recent MA win.

#3 I kinda get the looking through the castellated rook as lining (line) up your sights on a target, but I think it is way too sublime for anyone to notice and is overpowered by the rest of the image's randomness.

#4 I see the bishop-bishop line that exists, but with the rook in the foreshortened perspective, prominence goes there, both in terms of visual power and in terms of chess, the rook being considered of greater power than bishops. The king & queen are minimized by their position/distance as well as the truncating of the king's crown. I also see the line of pawns, but they aren't very straight, so they don't exude "line" very distinctly. I kinda dig the two lines, one implied (bishop-bishop) and one more tangible (pawns) ... I'd take another stab at this theme, maybe giving more credence to the relationships of power both in chess & visual prominence of scale and weighting so you don't have the incongruity.

As to your style ... I don't think your processing style is doing you any favors with this theme. I know you lean toward that gritty, hdr-ish style, but lines are about definition, and grainy is about lacking definition. Their individual impact is a bit at odds with each other, so it can be a tricky proposition to play them off one another without the incongruities reducing the power of the image.

Not exactly a ranking, but here's my .02 at them ... now if you could just roll it all into one.

#1 Most Arresting
#2 Most Pleasing
#3 Most Sublime
#4 Most Studious

Personally, I'd see if I could transform the sublime of #3 into something powerful, like looking through the sights of the rook at the King with little else on the board to detract from the focal point. The foreshortening of the rook would exude its power over the hapless king minimized by is diminished size in the distance. Maybe a staging that shows checkmate as well. I think you could put together a unique and dynamic spin on the theme ... now you've gone and gotten me thinking about too.

HTH, GL with the MA.

Mar 13, 2013 at 01:20 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · MA - Possibility

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ Karen & Scott

#1 is the most arresting of the group, but the single LONG SKINNY line has never been one that I've found a good way to pull off in a comp. It becomes one that has little to engage the viewer, so the viewer can leave just as quickly as they stopped to check it out.

#2 is my favorite use of lines in your group, particularly the road supplementing the fence and the lane of grass between them, but it is an image theme that has been seen once or twice before, so won't likely gather much
...Show more

Kent, Thank you. Your critique gives me ample ammunition to proceed. I suffer from " El-sharparen-to-much-eo" a condition found among transplanted Midwesterners force to live vicariously through other."...... Seriously, I realize I am out there on my processing and I keep trying to reign it in.. But, My #1 fan like crunchy.. I am posting two newer versions for your review. Thanks, Jim

Mar 13, 2013 at 02:46 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · MA - Possibility

Color revision is better. B & W is again fairly gritty.

Perhaps some curves adjustments, including poking around with the black dropper, some mid-tone contrast bump and some retouching?

Maybe a sepia version?

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:07 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · MA - Possibility

AuntiPode wrote:
Color revision is better. B & W is again fairly gritty.

Perhaps some curves adjustments, including poking around with the black dropper, some mid-tone contrast bump and some retouching?

Maybe a sepia version?

Thanks Karen. I am just not convinced they are worth pursuing. Again, Thank you, Jim

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:31 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password