Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · struggling with makeup shots..

Ghostinz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · struggling with makeup shots..

so after a long layoff I am back into photography. I feel like I am learning things all over again, starting from scratch. Portrait photography and lighting were never a strength of mine to begin with. I have a MUA that wants to work with me in exchange for featuring some of her makeup designs. Regardless of what I seem to do, I can never get my light soft enough to compliment the makeup, especially if there is glitter involved. I am not sure if it is light placement, setup, equipment, etc. I could use some advice and direction.

what I have to work with currently..

D600
85mm 1.8
70-200 F4
50mm

Elinchrome Dlite 4, two of them with small softboxes..
SB700, two, with umbrellas.

should I be using a ring light for the facial/makeup shots?

thanks people in advance for the assistance.

Zane

Mar 12, 2013 at 05:27 PM
sometimesido

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · struggling with makeup shots..

Bigger and closer the light source, softer the light on the subject?

Mar 12, 2013 at 06:47 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · struggling with makeup shots..

I would need a photo to see the problem.

I would use the 70-200 or 85mm at F4 / F5 range to keep the eyes and front face in focus with a drop in focus around the ears. One softbox will work fine. If it is really small ( what do you call small ) then bounce it off a large 4'x4' white board. That will get you soft light assuming that is the issue. Fill with reflector on side is required.

I avoid umbrellas as they seen to have little light control at least for me when compared to a box.

Avoid facing the light direct on the face. Feather it. In other words point the SB as if shooting something off to the side. Now you no longer get the harder center light, only the edge which is softer from being bounced around inside the box already. Catch that center light pointing away with reflector or white board for fill.

Mar 12, 2013 at 06:50 PM
basehorhonda
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · struggling with makeup shots..

You really have everything you need to make a nice portrait. Sure ring flashes give a neat look, but they arnt really needed. Just play around with what you have and it will all come back to you.

Mar 13, 2013 at 01:14 AM

Wobble
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · struggling with makeup shots..

Here are a couple of links on lighting:

Strobist

Chuck Gardner

Many times makeup, especially with glitter, will leave hot spots. Ask nicely, for her to remove the makeup, and try some shots.

The ring light will most likely give a less desired circle catch light

Mar 13, 2013 at 01:47 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · struggling with makeup shots..

Can we see a photo to see what the problem is...Generally the bigger the softbox the softer the light...

Mar 13, 2013 at 03:35 AM
Ghostinz
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · struggling with makeup shots..

Just to add to it, I was using speedlights and umbrellas, not my softboxes, which was probably my first mistake. my softboxes are the two smaller ones. 18" and 25" I think.

I am kind of new to posting on FM. I does not appear that I can add photos directly, but rather by linking them??

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:59 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · struggling with makeup shots..

I light beauty/makeup with a beauty dish pointed down and at the model between model and camera (2-3 feet distance, and maybe 2 feet above) and a reflector below facing straight up for a bit of fill.

Mar 18, 2013 at 06:10 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password