Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

davidbogdan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

I, like many, have been waiting to see what the latest from Sigma has to offer. Well I decided to take the plunge and took delivery of this little gem late last week. I've finally had a bit of time to get acquainted with the camera and it's software...so lets get the ball rolling and please feel free to add comment, discussion and images to the thread.

davidbogdan

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM
amplexis
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

i am very pleased with the SD3 Merrill.especially that it flash syncs @ 1/2000s.

SIGMA DP3 Merrill    50mm    f/6.3    1/1600s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

SIGMA DP3 Merrill    50mm    f/5.6    1/2000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

SIGMA DP3 Merrill    50mm    f/8.0    1/40s    100 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Mar 12, 2013 at 02:19 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

#1 looks plastic .

Mar 12, 2013 at 02:22 PM
amplexis
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

kewlcanon wrote:
#1 looks plastic .

very astute observation, Kewlcanon

Mar 12, 2013 at 02:47 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

1/2000th flash sync ? Woooo, great little tool then paired with just a speedlight for some outdoor portrait shooting and leaving the big lights behind

Mar 12, 2013 at 02:55 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

I've been enjoying mine, particularly for black and white. Obligatory baby photo:

Mar 12, 2013 at 04:08 PM
davidbogdan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

pano and fencing

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

With the DP3, Sigma seem to have made some major improvements with regard to color accuracy and neutrality from what I'm seeing here and what I have read. I wonder if this is all in software/ color profiling or if there is a hardware explanation. If the former, hopefully we see the improvements come to the DP1/2 Merrills.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM
amplexis
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

Tariq Gibran wrote:
With the DP3, Sigma seem to have made some major improvements with regard to color accuracy and neutrality from what I'm seeing here and what I have read. I wonder if this is all in software/ color profiling or if there is a hardware explanation. If the former, hopefully we see the improvements come to the DP1/2 Merrills.

or maybe the discounting of the DP1 and DP2 clear the way for upgraded cameras that equal the DP3

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

amplexis wrote:
or maybe the discounting of the DP1 and DP2 clear the way for upgraded cameras that equal the DP3

If there is a hardware difference, though I suspect there would have to be more improvements to justify that, such as faster AF, faster image write times and so on.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

davidbogdan
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

I'm not sure what type of plant this is. I came across it a few years ago following a deer run through the woods. It stands by itself , there are no other of these species nearby, I haven't seen it any where else, yet like old faithful she's up every year. The pod itself stands about 3/4 in.

100% crop

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:27 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

It is a triffid.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM
davidbogdan
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

carstenw wrote:
It is a triffid.

Ha ha..a fictional plant to be sure, I'll sort it out yet
db

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM
chupacabra31
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

davidbogdan wrote:
I'm not sure what type of plant this is. I came across it a few years ago following a deer run through the woods. It stands by itself , there are no other of these species nearby, I haven't seen it any where else, yet like old faithful she's up every year. The pod itself stands about 3/4 in.

Is this evidence that this is a great little camera or is this evidence that your a great photographer? I can't decide. I wish best buy had one so I could directly compare to my own DSLR lol.

Mar 16, 2013 at 06:46 PM
Johnny B Goode
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

Not my photograph but came across this example from the DP3M. Stunning to say the least:
(full res image)

from: http://www.sigma-dp.com/DP3Merrill/samplephoto.html

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:49 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

Johnny B Goode wrote:
Stunning to say the least:

I agree!

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:19 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

^ damn beautiful.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:31 PM
genji
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

amplexis wrote:

The Australian distributor currently sells the DP1m and DP2m for AU$798 (US$830) and the DP3m for AU$950 (US$989). By comparison, B&H sells the DP1m and DP2m for US$799 and the DP3m for US$999.

So the DP1m and DP2m cost about US$30 more in Australia while the DP3m is US$10 cheaper. But there is an AU$200-300 cashback offer on the DP3m for existing owners of any Sigma digital camera (Merrill and SD1 owners get $300 and owners of earlier cameras get $200).

I've seen so many impressive image samples from the DPx Merrill cameras that I'm now really tempted to pick up a DP1m or DP2m so I can get a DP3m for AU$650.

In this LL mini-review of the DP3m the author confirms Tariq's observation about the improved color accuracy and neutrality then goes on to say:

I do not think that Sigma modified the inside electronics. At least I hope because it can be good news for DP1m and DP2m users to have the same color accuracy on their DP after a firmware update. We'll have to wait and see.

I see the reduced prices on the DP1m and DP2m as normal for cameras that have been available for some time rather than as discounting to make way for improved models. Whether or not these cameras get a firmware update to match the DP3m's color rendition is anyone's guess.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

That someones photo is of Prague Castle (hope he didnt get mugged or robbed there).

And that "someone" forgot to turn off NR. Quite horrible effect. That or its result of ISO 200 (kinda doubt that its ISO).

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:50 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma DP3 Merrill image thread

Impressive indeed!

100% crop from Nikon D800E and Zeiss Distagon 2/8/21

Mescalamba wrote: (hope he didnt get mugged or robbed there)
Ha, funny! I like your sarcasm.
Interstingly, I was at the same spot last fall as the tourist(y) grouping on mid-left and I lost... my tour group. I guess I was always behind setting up my gears. Well, I wasn't lost for long. Soon I found great shalters on my own.

Mar 17, 2013 at 01:41 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password