Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

chapmuzic

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

This was the last meet of the season for Maryland. I t was great to get to shoot on the main floor in the Comcast Center. 24th ranked Maryland was a winner over Yale and Central Michigan! Lets hope this set is more of a winner than the last! Deep breath...C & C welcome.

Thanks, Vince

#5 The night started with the home team under the spotlight. This is just me trying to create something out of a shot that perhaps should have been a throw-away. I caught my eye but I realize it may not be for everyone!

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM
mdalby
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

Wow... I really like these. I love #3. I like #5 with the halo but I am not wild about the hand blur.

Nice work.

Mar 12, 2013 at 02:22 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

I like #5. It's different and the fringe lighting with motion blur works. The others though, kinda fall short for me. #1 doesn't quite have the angle to achieve enough face, although the timing is there. #2 is okay, but the empty seats kinda bother me. Not sure about the crop in #3. If you have full body, I'd like to see it. Otherwise, maybe a left justification. The bullseye square crop doesn't work. #4 is missed focus... it's a scrapper.

Mar 12, 2013 at 05:15 AM
chapmuzic

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

Mdalby,

Thank you for taking the time to view the shots and your comments!

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM
chapmuzic

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

P Alesse

The arena only had persons in one section so many of the available angles for shooting that night were into empty seats. I am not familiar with the bullseye term you referenced, could you explain? I believe # 3 was not a crop but how the shot was composed because of the lens I had on that camera. I do not recall that it was a full body shot. I would not have cropped out the feet if they were in the original shot.
Thanks for your comments and for taking the time to view the images!

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:28 PM
canav844

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

With empty seats like that (since this seems to be a regular venue for you) you may try opening the aperture up or going with a faster lens to try and blur them entirely into a solid color background.

1. Lower the aim of the lens a little to crop off some of the negative space at the top and show more beam, and then rotate it so that those two strong horizontal lines (beam and wall section) are level I think it would be stronger.

2. I'd be interested in seeing what you got from here as far as handstands and releases go, peak action. I'm also curious to see if you opened it up to f2 would that help make the empty seats look less like seats. I know it's not something under your control, but the more they're blurred out the more it looks like school colored gym, than nobody could be bothered to show up.

3. If you're going to crop the body, with that inflatable mascot in the background, I think you may be able to include the whole mascot. If you're going to be this close to the floor though, you may find it better to go wide put us on the floor with the gymnast, which mean including the floor in the shot.

4 Great timing, and she even spun around so you get the face (equally important), you've got the beam for context so the subject is all in great shape, however stepping back a little and using a longer focal length and/or faster aperture with a different lens may again help clean up the background.

5. For what you were trying to accomplish I like it, I may crop out some of the negative space to the left and right even if it meant loosing a little on the top and some on the bottom, and dodge the face of the girl going down the line so my eye gets drawn to her enthusiasm. My eye is going to the lightest part of the photo first, which is the hands in the center of the line, not her face.

Don't beat yourself up on the comments, they are good, we're just trying to help you find ways to make them better. I know the NCAA season is coming to an end, but if you can find some level 7-10 or elite gymnastics nearby (they tend to go into early summer and the lower levels start up again in early fall); it may very well be a worth while chance to practice some framing timing and background management (often more cluttered) and in my experience also more of a technical challenge in even darker venues.

Do you have a gallery with more from the event?

Mar 12, 2013 at 01:08 PM
chapmuzic

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

Canav844,

Wow lots of great perspective and information. Thank you. Most of these shotw were with the 70 -200 2.8 if I am remembering correctly. However, I am finding that if I have close access the 135mm 2.0 or 85mm 1.4 may provide a better option and will also help with managing the light.

Both my daughters participate in gymnastics in the lower levels and I shoot them as well. You are correct the lighting is even more challenging!! This was only my second time shooting at Maryland and shooting gymnist at that level. Our gils atten their camp in the summer and my wife is a Maryland grad.

I have not put up a gallery as yet but wil provide a link in a day or so.

Thanks again for your comments!!

Mar 12, 2013 at 02:59 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

Nice to see that you are challenging yourself more Vince as you've made a lot more effort to capture action and skills here than in your first post.

I agree with Paul on #1 that it would be better to have captured more of the gymnast's face. However, no matter where you position yourself, you will always be in the wrong position most of the time. Lots of luck and good fortune are required in this sport.

I like #2 as you captured the eyes which is generally the tricky part for these types of shots. Next step up is to capture some release moves or turns. They come fast and furious.

Need more face in #3 as well. The poses in your first post did this very well. I agree with the crop comment but I still like this one.

At first I thought #4 had motion blur, but yep, it's missed focus, as the beam end is sharp.

I'm on the fence with #5.

Love the music shots on your gallery btw.

Mar 12, 2013 at 05:38 PM
chapmuzic

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

Ihryshko,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I appreciate your taking time to review this set and providing your comments and encouragement. Thanks for taking a look at my gallery. My first love is music but my passion for photography is increasing! Creatively for me a great combination; Music/Photography!

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:10 AM
chapmuzic

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

Thanks everyone for your comments. If you care to see other shots from this event check the following links.

http://www.primeimagez.com/p653089264

http://www.primeimagez.com/p552884296

Enjoy!

Vince

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:14 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

Go Terps !

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:04 PM
waysaz
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

Hi Vince, nice work. Thoughts from an old gym shooter:

#1. Could have more face from the front, but I like the body shape (she's doing this jump really well) and the coaches behind. Better shot that way.

#2. Borderline too crotchy, but black in shadow is fine. I always liked this one myself—the calm at the top of the swing.

#3. I'd be inclined to crop above the knees, or maybe a horizontal at waist. Like the "M" in the background. Use it.

#5. I like it. Different from the usual, and emphasizes the team/showtime aspect of college gym. Bet you shot a lot to get this one!

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:11 PM
amlsml
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

never shot Gymnastics, but I like number 3, I like the school logo in the BG, agree a full body would be nice and also maybe crop at the knee?

Mar 17, 2013 at 08:48 PM
chapmuzic

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

CW100 wrote:
Go Terps !

Yes sir! Thanks for taking a look CW100!!

Mar 21, 2013 at 05:45 PM
chapmuzic

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

waysaz wrote:
Hi Vince, nice work. Thoughts from an old gym shooter:

#1. Could have more face from the front, but I like the body shape (she's doing this jump really well) and the coaches behind. Better shot that way.

#2. Borderline too crotchy, but black in shadow is fine. I always liked this one myself—the calm at the top of the swing.

#3. I'd be inclined to crop above the knees, or maybe a horizontal at waist. Like the "M" in the background. Use it.

#5. I like it. Different from the usual, and emphasizes the team/showtime aspect of college gym. Bet you shot a
...Show more

waysaz,

Thanks for your comments! I'm still getting used to the pace of gymnastics at this level. The comments in the forum have been very helpful in approaching each new opportunity to shoot. My daughters are young gymnast 9 & 12 they have helped me to appreciate and fall in love with the sport!

Do you have any advise about shooting position? Low vs High...standing, sitting kneeling? I realize that sometime this is determined by the set up and or your point of access.

Vince

Mar 21, 2013 at 05:59 PM
chapmuzic

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Maryland Gymnastics Senior Night ...My follow up to first forum post!

amlsml wrote:
never shot Gymnastics, but I like number 3, I like the school logo in the BG, agree a full body would be nice and also maybe crop at the knee?

Thanks amlsml!

I'll try to shoot some hockey if you'll give Gymnastics a go!

Appreciate your comment.

Vince

Mar 21, 2013 at 06:04 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.