Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2013 · High Mileage Camera's
  
 
luketrot
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · High Mileage Camera's


Anyone have their shutter last over a million? My other D3s made it to 850,000 before it blew. My backup just died yesterday at 693,447.








Mar 11, 2013 at 03:21 PM
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · High Mileage Camera's


And your wife hasn't sued for divorce? She'd likely have great success in claiming your cameras were "alienating your affection."




Mar 11, 2013 at 03:43 PM
Wickedfn4u
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · High Mileage Camera's


Thats insane numbers. Cannot say you did not get your moneys worth out of those bodies.


Mar 11, 2013 at 03:51 PM
CGrindahl
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · High Mileage Camera's


By the way, I spoke recently with a friend who is a quite successful landscape photographer, asking how he enjoyed using his newly acquired D800 that he took on a three week trip visiting wilderness areas. He said he loved it and took about 100 shots. He'd sold the D700 he'd previously used for three and a half years and mentioned in passing that it was a very low mileage camera. I guess we're noting that different strokes for different folks really is the truth.


Mar 11, 2013 at 03:59 PM
ja_joyce
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · High Mileage Camera's


Nice. That's why I like to buy other people's "high mileage" bodies. 100,000 shots on a pro body is just break-in.



Mar 11, 2013 at 04:00 PM
NightOwl Cat
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · High Mileage Camera's


There was someone that posted here a couple years ago that had a high mileage D2h or D2x, I forget which, but it had over a million shots on it and was still going strong. Hope that person sees this thread and posts again, my curiosity wants to know if it's still going strong

I got a high mileage D3 a while back from B&S and it's showing:

ShutterCount: 283,682 as of this past Saturday night



Mar 11, 2013 at 04:06 PM
snapsy
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · High Mileage Camera's


The D3/D3s are pretty renowned for their shutter life longevity. Here's the shutter life database for the D3:

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/nikon_d3.htm



Mar 11, 2013 at 04:33 PM
lukeb
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · High Mileage Camera's


Wickedfn4u wrote:
Thats insane numbers. Cannot say you did not get your moneys worth out of those bodies.


+1



Mar 11, 2013 at 04:40 PM
binary visions
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · High Mileage Camera's


I remember some guy on the DPReview forums who had posted his shutter counts, and I think they were over a million shots. I guess he took pictures of small dogs playing, and essentially just held down the shutter release for multiple hours at a time. Crazy.

So... just doing the math on this, if you got the cameras right around release date, you've had them for ~3.5 years. If we figure you get 8 hours of sleep per night, 3.5 * 365 days * 16 hours * 60 minutes = 1,226,400 minutes since release. Your cumulative shutter count is 1543447. So dividing that out, you've averaged 1.3 shots per minute every waking moment of the last 3.5 years. Wow!



Mar 11, 2013 at 04:45 PM
luketrot
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · High Mileage Camera's


Well the camera is just under 1.5 years old. I shoot competitive Cheer and Dance and put between 15,000-35,000 photos a weekend. All single shot action photos. I also have a bunch of Canon bodies that get me about 350k. Shutters are cheap, just stinks waiting as NPS turn around time is slow compared to Canon's.

My other D3s is on its second shutter with well over 1 million images but unfortunately Nikon resets the shutter count when they replace the shutters. Probably a good thing when I'm ready to sell..



Mar 11, 2013 at 04:58 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · High Mileage Camera's


I put maybe 15k on them a year. So it'd take me roughly 66 years to hit a million...


Mar 11, 2013 at 05:27 PM
Mark_L
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · High Mileage Camera's


CGrindahl wrote:
By the way, I spoke recently with a friend who is a quite successful landscape photographer, asking how he enjoyed using his newly acquired D800 that he took on a three week trip visiting wilderness areas. He said he loved it and took about 100 shots. He'd sold the D700 he'd previously used for three and a half years and mentioned in passing that it was a very low mileage camera. I guess we're noting that different strokes for different folks really is the truth.


A lot depends on what you shoot, when I shot a lot of landscapes with my D700 I was the same, even stitching 9 frames to get decent resolution especially as I moved from being all 6x7 film. Usually most shots are planned in advance, you wait for the light, shoot it, pack up and go home. Now I shoot mostly fashion and 200 frames per a look isn't totally unusual and I have come home with 1600 frames.

My D700 was eventually sold after 4 years with 25k on the clock which I though was very low until I saw the others being listed. Either everyone is a great landscape photographer who nails the shot or a lot of people buy these expensive cameras and don't use them a whole lot...



Mar 11, 2013 at 09:07 PM
davenfl
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · High Mileage Camera's


binary visions wrote:
I remember some guy on the DPReview forums who had posted his shutter counts, and I think they were over a million shots. I guess he took pictures of small dogs playing, and essentially just held down the shutter release for multiple hours at a time. Crazy.

So... just doing the math on this, if you got the cameras right around release date, you've had them for ~3.5 years. If we figure you get 8 hours of sleep per night, 3.5 * 365 days * 16 hours * 60 minutes = 1,226,400 minutes since release. Your cumulative shutter count is
...Show more

That was Hammy over in the Sports Forum. He has the company that shoots the cheerleader competition, he has incredible clicks on all of his bodies, sometimes his team will shoot over 200,000 images in a weekend. Those were D2h or D2Hs bodies as I recall.

Dave



Mar 11, 2013 at 09:17 PM
DaveOls
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · High Mileage Camera's


I just bought a used Nikon D 300s three weeks ago and thought it had a lot of actuations on it. It had 67,000, but that doesn't even compare with some of these numbers. Since I only shoot around 1,000 images a year or so, it should last me forever.


Mar 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Hammy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · High Mileage Camera's


davenfl wrote:
That was Hammy over in the Sports Forum. He has the company that shoots the cheerleader competition, he has incredible clicks on all of his bodies, sometimes his team will shoot over 200,000 images in a weekend.



The last two weekends probably had 30-40k shots (each weekend) put on each of my MK2N bodies, similar numbers on a recently aquired Mk4, about half that on a 7D.

Totals from two weekends ago: >600,000 shots from 18-27 photographers (not everybody shot all the time)
Total this past weekend: 100,000 from one stage, three photographers.

As Luke mentioned, these aren't spray and pray. This past weekend was a Dance Nationals with 237 teams: 7am-11:30pm, every 3.5 minutes with only two breaks. Doing the math on that equates to roughly only 1 frame per second (per camera)


davenfl wrote:
Those were D2h or D2Hs bodies as I recall.


Actually, I'm a Canon only shop. Most shooters we use are Canon, but plenty are Nikon - Luke is the only one I know that goes both ways. Either lineup can handle the workload.

Here is my last body I sent in... pre-emptively (shutter hadn't failed, but we dropped it, so the mirror box was out of alignment - although it was kinda nice having a TS-E body for a while!)








Mar 12, 2013 at 09:13 PM
ScottSchupbach
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · High Mileage Camera's


If I recall it was Indy over in the Sports forum that had the D2H with close to 1 million clicks on an original shutter.


Mar 12, 2013 at 09:27 PM
eninety
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · High Mileage Camera's


have 315,000 on my d3s this past weekend then again i bought it 2 months ago with 304k


Mar 13, 2013 at 01:56 PM
SoundHound
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · High Mileage Camera's


I agree with the implication that shutter count as an index of usage is flawed. I shoot over 1k per Flamemco show (usually with two bodies). When that was every week that would be approaching 50K/year.

With a 3 years service life ('till the latest/greatest new model) that means my used pro bodies have plenty of use left. But with a body like the D4 or 1Dx, etc you would expect higher shutter count since a high FPS is why you pay all that money.



Mar 13, 2013 at 04:07 PM
Mark_L
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · High Mileage Camera's


SoundHound wrote:
I agree with the implication that shutter count as an index of usage is flawed. I shoot over 1k per Flamemco show (usually with two bodies). When that was every week that would be approaching 50K/year.

With a 3 years service life ('till the latest/greatest new model) that means my used pro bodies have plenty of use left. But with a body like the D4 or 1Dx, etc you would expect higher shutter count since a high FPS is why you pay all that money.


Unfortunately shutter count has become like mileage on cars. People freak out if even 25% of the expected shutter life is used and seem to think it will self destruct once the expected life is reached.

A landscape photographer could cart the camera all of the world through rain, sand, mud, snow, airport baggage handlers and it would have a much lower shutter count than someone who only shoots occasionally and photographs models exclusively in a studio but one will have had a much harder life and more use than the other.



Mar 13, 2013 at 07:00 PM
Wickedfn4u
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · High Mileage Camera's


A shutter count should be a baseline for condition it is not a be all end all.


Mar 13, 2013 at 09:11 PM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password