Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9              15       16       end

Archive 2013 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

wfrank
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Challenging image jotdeh but I like that kind of light. To bring criticism to the table the out-blurred foreground makes no sense. And the mid-cut composition where more than half is blurred is kind of an obstacle. So I got a bit creative with a crop and multiple layers sort of enhancing the remaining features. As I look at it now I think the foreground is still too much but too late to fix now. Here's my interpretation.

Apr 27, 2013 at 08:54 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Damn, I forgot this thread...

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Don't think I could do better on that one than wfrank did

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:25 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

wfrank wrote:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8126/8673621934_bb5d48c2a8_c.jpg

Challenging image jotdeh but I like that kind of light. To bring criticism to the table the out-blurred foreground makes no sense. And the mid-cut composition where more than half is blurred is kind of an obstacle. So I got a bit creative with a crop and multiple layers sort of enhancing the remaining features. As I look at it now I think the foreground is still too much but too late to fix now. Here's my interpretation.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8264/8686138271_2b78f07dbe_o.jpg

wfrank, Doth beith a wizard!

Apr 28, 2013 at 01:03 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

I wonder if anyone would have better luck, than I have had, with this image? the las two are my attempts of many. These are the only files I have, they are from my Epson V500, and these are "Polaroids" shot from my Rollei 6008 Pro., with the Polaroid back, and Fujifilm FP-100 either the color version, or the black and white, I cant recall, but it appears it is the Fujifilm FP-100C Professional Instant Color Film ISO 100 (10 Exposure, Glossy)

a.Rollei.Brujo-44 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

a.Rollei.Brujo-45 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

a.Rollei.Brujo-46 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

May 01, 2013 at 12:42 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Colors are off from where I'm at in PS after posting ... not sure why, but this gives a gist of it ... sort of.

Edited on May 01, 2013 at 12:22 PM · View previous versions

May 01, 2013 at 03:52 AM
jotdeh
• • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

wfrank wrote:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8126/8673621934_bb5d48c2a8_c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8264/8686138271_2b78f07dbe_o.jpg

Wow nice one! Do you mind going into a little detail what you did besides the cropping? The greens are much better!
I get your criticism about the blurred foreground - you should 've seen me trying: "blur the foreground? or blur the background?", but somehow it didn't occur to me to "not blur anything"...

May 01, 2013 at 06:06 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

RustyBug wrote:
Colors are off from where I'm at in PS after posting ... not sure why, but this gives a gist of it ... sort of.

I like the outcome a bit, well, in the form of the framing and such, but the colors are bit unusual of course. I assume black and white would be a tad easier on the eye's! thanks for giving it a go, i really appreciate the time, effort, and teaching! I have an adverseness to learning processing, and with my inability to not separate colors correctly, i get even more flustered by it! My usual method normally consist of either just winging it, or now with the learning of lightroom 4 presets I just adjust from there to personalize it a bit!

May 01, 2013 at 06:54 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Yeah, I've no idea what's going on with the colors. 117,101,21 in PS is showing up as 109,114,28 ... giving it that weird green cast. How they are changing when I post them up is something I haven't figured out yet. I've never had this issue before, and I haven't changed any of my PS settings, etc.

I'm on Firefox and I checked it on an Ipad also ... both looking green. This is not good.

Recalibrated monitor ... still picking up about 10+ points more green after posting.

May 01, 2013 at 12:14 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

jotdeh wrote:
Wow nice one! Do you mind going into a little detail what you did besides the cropping? The greens are much better!
I get your criticism about the blurred foreground - you should 've seen me trying: "blur the foreground? or blur the background?", but somehow it didn't occur to me to "not blur anything"...

Thanks all.

Got ya on the scene situation. Happens to me all the time, there's always a better comp, distance or exposure setting when you come home.

About the processing no logic work flow really. I am experimenting a lot with local contrast and beyond that there's a graduated filter for the sky and a "double vignette". I try to do it subtle but what it means is slightly more light in the center and less in the fringe. That affects colors too which is probably the main reason the green is greener. Theres no saturation added, just light changes. If I remember correctly a basic Levels brought them on too which is always the initial step. I dont handle Curves too well so I often stop with that. Finally some minor dodge&burn which can also affect colors, dodging midtones normally equivals a sponge set on saturation.

May 01, 2013 at 09:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jotdeh
• • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

wfrank wrote:
Thanks all.

Got ya on the scene situation. Happens to me all the time, there's always a better comp, distance or exposure setting when you come home.

About the processing no logic work flow really. I am experimenting a lot with local contrast and beyond that there's a graduated filter for the sky and a "double vignette". I try to do it subtle but what it means is slightly more light in the center and less in the fringe. That affects colors too which is probably the main reason the green is greener. Theres no saturation added, just light changes. If I
...Show more

I will try myself to reproduce this and learn more, thank you again!

May 01, 2013 at 09:07 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

RustyBug wrote:
Yeah, I've no idea what's going on with the colors. 117,101,21 in PS is showing up as 109,114,28 ... giving it that weird green cast. How they are changing when I post them up is something I haven't figured out yet. I've never had this issue before, and I haven't changed any of my PS settings, etc.

I'm on Firefox and I checked it on an Ipad also ... both looking green. This is not good.

Recalibrated monitor ... still picking up about 10+ points more green after posting.

Hmm, maybe its because this was a scanned film photo? I used my Epson V500, but i really have no idea how to use it anyhow! I do know that the image i get scanned is really close to the image on hand, even though it appears like a scanner error, it is a user of film, and over exposed error!

May 01, 2013 at 11:36 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

This thread need more RAWs. Here's a tricky one. NEX 5N, Voigtländer 15/4.5.

Link to RAW

May 17, 2013 at 07:47 PM
fefo.1979
• •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

my attempt

May 20, 2013 at 02:29 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

wfrank wrote:
This thread need more RAWs. Here's a tricky one. NEX 5N, Voigtländer 15/4.5.

Link to RAW

here's a quick processing in color then b&w, it'd take me far too long long to clean up that flare to my liking in ps.

May 20, 2013 at 11:10 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

sebboh wrote:
here's a quick processing in color then b&w, it'd take me far too long long to clean up that flare to my liking in ps.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8548/8759904920_2ca391ecf6_o.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7327/8759905148_e00b4e99ab_o.jpg

I had a similar thing going, but i was embarrassed to show it, for lack of having an actual know how! I am not very handy at the processing, heck, i ain't to great at photography in general, but i try! ugh my damn pre set watermarks onit! i need take it down asap!

a.Rollei.brujo-8 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

May 21, 2013 at 12:41 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

a.Rollei.brujo-9 by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

May 21, 2013 at 12:54 AM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

I'd like to add one to the mix and see and hear how you would approach this shot. Taken in Yosemite National Park this image has soft morning side light that attracted me in the first place. But I'm not sure the resulting image looks as dramatic as I saw it. Maybe you think it's fine as is and that's OK too. Here's the link to the raw file here

Edited on May 21, 2013 at 02:00 PM · View previous versions

May 21, 2013 at 02:05 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Thanks guys. I like your color version sebboh, and good idea with the square format Rodriguez.

May 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

rji2goleez wrote:
I'd like to add one to the mix and see and hear how you would approach this shot. Taken in Yosemite National Park this image has soft morning side light that attracted me in the first place. But I'm not sure the resulting image looks as dramatic as I saw it. Maybe you think it's fine as is and that's OK too. Here's the link to the raw file here

Thanks for getting the opportunity to play with this one! I would go for a graphically cleaner composition cropping the sides out, at the same time with a more height oriented aspect ratio to get more drama. Darkening the top further adds to this. In total a slightly different way to emphasize the "three sisters" which you already have done with the "light cone". Lastly, a bit more clarity adds some depth IMO. This is what triggered me, my personal iunterpretation, and I hope to see different approaches as well

May 21, 2013 at 03:42 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password