Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8              14       15       end

The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

justruss wrote:
Wonder why nobody has cropped the dunes photo to eliminate the sky + clouds. Maybe even a 16:9 crop, for a cinematic-y look.

To me, the dunes and variable shadow/light is the focus, but the bright sky and inconsistent cloud shapes and tonality really distract and overpower the best part of the image. Kinda like having a delicate cut of nigiri and then submerging it in soy sauce, before heaping on a slice of ginger and a smear of wasabi.

Also, it's in balancing the two characters of the image-- the dunes and then the sky-- where so many processing
...Show more

Actually I thought about that but its a bit noisy photo and too much lifting of shadows in case of D300S simply isnt possible. So I worked with what was there as always.

Apr 08, 2013 at 03:19 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.7 #2 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Just out of my converter output, downsized, JPEGed. Not finalized, only to give you idea how RAW looks.

RAW file - 25 MB (yea S5 doesnt have small RAWs)
http://www.ulozisko.sk/604396/DSCF0049.RAF
Just fill Captcha and hit "Stiahni subor" under it (means "download file" in Slovak language).

Feel free to play with it. Take it as sorta challange, cause trust me, S5 files ARE challenging. Yep its a bit boring photo, thats what I do. Maybe some naked girl next time, when I buy better camera and get that girl..

Apr 10, 2013 at 02:45 AM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.7 #3 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

i'm generally pretty conservative with still life sorta pics, here's my take:

basically just applied the standard preset i use for leica lenses and tweaked the curves a bit:

not shown is a ton of vignetting that i added.

Apr 11, 2013 at 05:05 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.7 #4 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Yea pretty much similar to what I do, I have selective vignetting/darkening on most of my pics. I like your version.

Btw. nice red-cast, isnt it?

Apr 11, 2013 at 02:05 PM
markhout
• •
p.7 #5 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Completely different 5 min fix:

Lightroom: Cropping, contrast, clarity and other histogram edits. Gradients to darken foreground and left side. Local burning to avoid blocked shadows on the apple and mostly on the grapes.

Silver Efex Pro 2: brightness + contrast edits, more local contrast enhancement, custom selenium toning, slight vignette and frame.

I find the background on the right (something on the wall I think) distracting and I should have done a blur in Photoshop.

Apr 11, 2013 at 04:20 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #6 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Mescalamba wrote:
Just out of my converter output, downsized, JPEGed. Not finalized, only to give you idea how RAW looks.
http://www.ulozisko.sk/obrazky/604397/DSCF0049_res.jpg

RAW file - 25 MB (yea S5 doesnt have small RAWs)
http://www.ulozisko.sk/604396/DSCF0049.RAF
Just fill Captcha and hit "Stiahni subor" under it (means "download file" in Slovak language).

Feel free to play with it. Take it as sorta challange, cause trust me, S5 files ARE challenging. Yep its a bit boring photo, thats what I do. Maybe some naked girl next time, when I buy better camera and get that girl..

Mescalamba's Friut.

Mescalamba Fruit by aRolleiBrujo, on Flickr

Apr 11, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.7 #7 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

markhout

Interesting crop. Nicely done BW, tho in places its just like posterized/burned grey.

Usually I clean that wall with cloning or similar stuff, I guess even simple content aware would work.

Apr 11, 2013 at 06:08 PM
atlantel

p.7 #8 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Apr 11, 2013 at 06:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.7 #9 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Took a stab at it, trying to think "old world" vibe.
Took me a bit more than five minutes, but that's just because I like to work slow ... okay, I'll admit it, I AM slow.

Apr 11, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.7 #10 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

atlantel

Nice work, no red cast. Bit of spark, pseudo HDR or tonemaping I guess? Maybe bit of some film simulation?

RustyBug

I like it most so far. Btw. it takes me usually hours to get something I like from pics I shoot. In general I take just few photos (rarely more than 40 per shooting) and then simply use few best and try to find best PP for it. Usually I take them with some specific PP/result in mind, then try to match it.

Apr 11, 2013 at 08:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.7 #11 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Thanks ... I tried to "up my game" @ degree of refinement for this one.

I had a pretty good idea where I wanted to take it. The challenge was how closely I could come to matching what I had in mind. I'd probably give myself a B+ compared to what I envisioned, but I learned a few things along the way, so it's still a worthwhile effort.

Apr 12, 2013 at 04:59 AM
mshi
• • • •
p.7 #12 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

I didn't download the raw file to work with. Just simply worked on the jpg image above with some quick treatment in adjustment layers all together less than five minutes work.

Apr 14, 2013 at 06:46 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.7 #13 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Rusty, your processing makes me think immediately of Pixar's Ratatouille

mshi, very interesting processing. Not my taste, but it does have something neat going for it.

Apr 14, 2013 at 07:29 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.7 #14 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Very nice mshi. Quite original.

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:10 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.7 #15 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

carstenw wrote:
Rusty, your processing makes me think immediately of Pixar's Ratatouille

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the reference, as I never saw it.

Apr 15, 2013 at 03:48 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.7 #16 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Not exactly identical photo, but pretty much same.. my take on my own photo. Someone post a new RAW?

Colors are in this case more or less accurate, only apple should have bit more pinkish hue, which saddly is near impossible with this camera (too strong red channel, and impossible to profile camera).

Edit: That border is pretty clever thing, especially when viewed on various backgrounds. Hope its not copy protected technique.

Edit 2: Hm, 18% grey isnt dark enough..

Apr 16, 2013 at 01:34 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
p.7 #17 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

"Someone post a new RAW?"
challenge accepted. plus E.A.Poe
http://archive.org/details/Fall_of_the_House_of_Usher_1928_Watson

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?r0va5i7r26lohi6

Apr 17, 2013 at 01:23 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.7 #18 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Very nice photo, I remember you posted it here, am I right? I mean "here on FM".

Wonder what I will do with it. Probably something crazy, cause its already good as it is. Not sure I can improve it.

Apr 17, 2013 at 01:50 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
p.7 #19 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Mescalamba wrote:
Very nice photo, I remember you posted it here, am I right? I mean "here on FM".

Wonder what I will do with it. Probably something crazy, cause its already good as it is. Not sure I can improve it.

thank you! i think it may be it, but i do have a few similar ones, so if it were, here is another two!

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?8qr1a0dqsns5147

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?i4vkrjlomwhzx1c

Apr 17, 2013 at 02:21 AM
jotdeh
• • •
p.7 #20 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

I got one that I can't get right. In particular the trees in the background are bothering me. They look flat and mushy. Of course that is also a consequence of the diffused light, but I'm sure the picture isn't at its full potential yet, right?

Edit: correct RAW now: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B50JvDtjxcGjWDhQNGRVUXZ3aFk/edit?usp=sharing

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password