Oct 09, 2017 at 01:16 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #2 · p.17 #2 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Phillip Reeve wrote:
http://phillipreeve.net/Rawchallenge/Burg_Rawchallenge.ARW

Phillip, you have quite challenging image this time:
- blue cast in distance because polarizer wasn't used (or adjusted properly)
- blown highlights on left side of the sky

I processed image with Capture One Pro 10 for Sony. Most operations were local to mitigate two mentioned issues.

Samuli

Nov 12, 2017 at 07:46 AM
joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #3 · p.17 #3 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

I agree that the sky was challenging.

I tried to desaturate the sky some, not quite happy with it though, otherwise it is a pretty straightforward treatment. I did crop it a little.

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:36 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.17 #4 · p.17 #4 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Here is my attempt. I thought I crop to 4 X 5 worked better for this image. Perhaps that is just me, I often think that.

Nov 12, 2017 at 02:19 PM
timde

p.17 #5 · p.17 #5 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Hello,

I had a go at this .. but I can't figure out how to reference the image here. In any case I did the following

In C1 10: Standard Profile, Linear Response Curve (the combined result is a flat image with as much highlight detail preserved as possible), pulled down the highlights in the curve tool, then adjusted the mid tones using the Levels, then contrast -5, brightness +4 and saturation +22. WB at 5008 and 3,3.

Export to Tiff, open in On 1 Raw, and then the following:
Sunshine filter (richer colors), vignette, grad -1EX for the sky, a little lightening to the trees on the right and lastly a blended in BW filter on the sky which took some of the tint out.

Burg Raw Challenge at 500px

Nov 12, 2017 at 04:06 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.17 #6 · p.17 #6 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4534/38348278712_98affb130e_o.jpg

Well, not sure how much Flick butchers photos, but surely not that much as me.

Phillip, you must really love saving burned out highlights..

Nov 12, 2017 at 11:14 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.17 #7 · p.17 #7 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Thanks for your edits

The image is certainly not one of the finest examples of my craft but a spontaneous image I took during a walk with my grandmother. I saw some potential in it when I took it but really struggled with the colors which is why I uploaded it here.

The image was taken around noon so there shouldn't be any real color cast in the sky and conditions weren't that dark. That's why I ended with this image:

I am not 100% happy with the sky which has some color gradient left to right but would call it good enough

@Mescalamba, can you share your settings? I like the warmer color but when I try to develop the image a bit warmer I lose color separation in the trees which you didn't.

Nov 13, 2017 at 02:34 AM
aeonsim
• • •
p.17 #8 · p.17 #8 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Interesting mix of looks, here is one more:

Burg_Rawchallenge-web-2 by aeon Data, on Flickr

Nov 13, 2017 at 05:41 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.17 #9 · p.17 #9 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Thanks for your edits

The image is certainly not one of the finest examples of my craft but a spontaneous image I took during a walk with my grandmother. I saw some potential in it when I took it but really struggled with the colors which is why I uploaded it here.

The image was taken around noon so there shouldn't be any real color cast in the sky and conditions weren't that dark. That's why I ended with this image:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4551/24511486458_2731eaba99_o.jpg
I am not 100% happy with the sky which has some color gradient left to right but would call it
...Show more

I can, but you gonna hate me..

1) ACR - everything as shot, sharpening 25 - 0,5 radius - 100 detail, color profile neutral, two files - exposure as shot and exposure -1,5, ProPhoto RGB

2) PhotoMatix - fusion average from those two files

3) RawTherapee round 1, CIECAM2002 (no changes, Lightness-Saturation model), custom by contrast detail levels, export (ProPhoto working, ProPhoto export)

4) Photoshop - duplicate, RAW filter, graduated filter - dehaze, desaturate, shift colors to warmer a bit, apply, mask so you get effect only where you want it (means that part which is glowing blue, those treelines bit further away)

5) still PS, Color Efex 4 Pro (I think its dead soft now) - ProContrast/tiny bit of Dynamic Contrast, 10 I think, Tonal Contrast 15,15 shadows and highligts, fine mode

6) RawTherapee round 2, CIECAM2002 (Brightness-Colorfulness), HaldCLUT Kodak Ektachrome VS, tweak WB to look good (just changed to 6790), tweak contrast and colors in CIECAM2002, reduce saturation a bit in LAB, fix highlights, shadows in curves Film-like (only upped shadows a bit and toned down highlights a bit), export ProPhoto

7) Photoshop round 3, Color Efex 4, Polarizer effect (its to tone down trees in back line, get a bit of sky, make reds a bit pronounced), toned down saturation a bit (its under Brilliance/Warmth), added some Skylight (those standard 20) that makes reds a bit more pronounced again. I think I used that Sunlight filter too (unsure), it makes nice pics a bit softer, also probably buffed tonal contrast of highlights and shadows by a ton to mitigate that Sunlight softness (order is to buff tonal contrast a lot, then use Sunlight filter, not good idea in reverse).

8) PS, duplicated layer, again a bit of dehaze on graduated filter (RAW filter), desaturate a lot (cause sky is purple at that moment), think I shifted hue to green too. Mask what needed, desaturate by hand some missed bits.

Yea thats probably all, altho Im not entirely sure about order of things or if I didnt miss anything. I maybe added perceptual saturation in Brilliance/Warmth filter from Color Efex 4 at some late point (like 3 points or so). Or before I used HaldCLUT in RT, dont know.

Can it be simplified? Yea a lot, I was just experimenting really. Its imperfect too, bit of magenta left in sky and such.

My regular setup for most images is convert RAW to flat TIFF image with somewhat accurate colors and WB, then run it thru CS and RT till contrast is mild and colors are decent, then use some fancy HaldCLUT, finishing touches of balancing colors and look (in RT). Nothing complicated really.

Reason for PhotoMatix here is that their fusion average is able to bring down highlights much better than any highlight/shadow slider. Im not fan of that "here look PPed sky" where trees are nearly black at tips.

Also Im using it quite a bit due my Fuji S5 Pro, which yes does give a lot of DR, but actually taming that DR is really really hard as it doesnt exactly behave naturally (its effectively 2x stacked 14-bit image, where one is 4eV above other, so you can end with one part histogram in deep shadows and other part in highlights with nothing between, I mean its realistic, but its hard to make some final normal image from that, not like we have HDR JPGs yet).

RAW filter in PS is pretty nifty thing as you can use it on TIFF any time you want, mostly that dehaze on graduated filter is rather nice stuff (paired with a bit of saturation and tint/warmth tweaks). Mostly for landscape purposes ofc. If you have output from Photomatix, then its pretty easy to get contrast of sky and dehaze areas where you want it.

RT is really good for tweaking colors, getting some special contrast and nice looks. Not particularly amazing if you need to move shadows and highlights a bit and also not really great RAW developer (but it allows to test any new camera files right at the moment they released usually, like now I can play with Hasselblad X1D or A7RIII files without problems). Strongest parts are HaldCLUTs, CIECAM2002 and ton of special contrast tweaks.

Yea and Capture One is decent thing when it comes to highlight, shadows and giving image some punchy pop. Also very decent color controls, 3-way WB. Plus really bad sharpening, blunt demosaicing and not so great noise control.

There isnt perfect RAW developing SW, so I just mix it as I need it.

TL : DR most of that color stuff is probably from HaldCLUT, tweaking WB later in TIFF form in RT, CIECAM2002 and Brilliance/Warmth and selective contrasting, desaturating and color shifting via RAW filter in PS CC.

Nov 13, 2017 at 11:54 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.17 #10 · p.17 #10 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Mescalamba wrote:
I can, but you gonna hate me..

Wow ...

That's 7 steps too many for the lazy PP person I am but that's for the insight

Nov 13, 2017 at 01:42 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.17 #11 · p.17 #11 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Wow ...

That's 7 steps too many for the lazy PP person I am but that's for the insight

Also its a bit more than its really needed, that process is surely possible to be optimized, but I dont shoot A7RII. Im used to do similar stuff cause S5 is very demanding on PP (to the point I hate it sometimes, cause its too much work for not that much profit ).

Atm Im considering what to buy next, but having inner conflicts on what I really want. So probably end up buying multiple stuff to test what works best for me..

Or just abandon all this and get 5DMKIV and one click results.

Nov 13, 2017 at 01:52 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.17 #12 · p.17 #12 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

my belated edit. i just assumed germany looks like oregon for this.
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4524/38397313051_858931e34f_o.jpg

Nov 13, 2017 at 02:57 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.17 #13 · p.17 #13 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

sebboh, very nice result in my opinion!

Nov 13, 2017 at 05:30 PM
robgo2
• • •
p.17 #14 · p.17 #14 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Love the photo, Phillip. I applied a slight crop on the right.

Rob

Nov 13, 2017 at 05:49 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.17 #15 · p.17 #15 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

OK @Phillip Reeve, I'll play...

Nov 13, 2017 at 06:21 PM
robgo2
• • •
p.17 #16 · p.17 #16 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

I decided to take another crack at this image and give it the time it deserves.

Rob

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:15 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.17 #17 · p.17 #17 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Here is my second attempt as well. I like this better than my first, but I still have the scene a lot more green than most. I guess I just prefer a greener scene.

Nov 15, 2017 at 01:07 PM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.17 #18 · p.17 #18 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Just discovered this thread. May have to join in the fun. Very educational!

Nov 15, 2017 at 01:15 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.17 #19 · p.17 #19 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Derek and David, I like your edits a lot. Can you share your settings?

Nov 15, 2017 at 01:39 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.17 #20 · p.17 #20 · The how-would-you-process-my-image thread

Mescalamba wrote:
Im not fan of that "here look PPed sky" where trees are nearly black at tips.

+1 - this "black at tips"-issue is really annoying

There may be some improvement also; I clearly remember highlights slider doing this in Lightroom ~5 years ago. Now I have used mainly Adobe Camera RAW (I hate the Lightroom for the catalog stuff) from Creative Cloud for few years, which I understand has same "engine" as LightRoom and this issue did not become problematic often. But the tutorials all over internet telling to avoid sharp masks will cause these black tree tips no matter what software. Also some people willingly darken sky with gradient mask - oh why to cause same issues as real physical gradient ND causes when there are limitless possibilities in digital darkroom to do it better.

Samuli

Nov 15, 2017 at 03:18 PM
1       2       3              16      
       18       19       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
       18       19       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.