Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Uromastyx

M Vers
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Uromastyx

Seeing as though it's winter around here it's been a while since I've posted, but I figured I'd share a few shots of my uromastyx, which are just starting to come out of brumation and are in the early stages of spring sheds. This genus is native to North Africa and parts of the Middle East. There are 15 species within the genus along with several sub-species--these species can range greatly in terms of physical form, coloration, pattern and size (10"-36"). They are herbivorous by nature, feeding primarily on vegetation and flowers from which critical nutrients and water is derived. While they often climb, specifically to obtain food, they are primarily terrestrial, utilizing ground burrows or rocky dens for shelter and protection from natural predators.
This is my male ornate (U. ornata), which I estimate is around three years of age. This species is native to Egypt, Israel, Jordan and parts of Saudi Arabia. They are considered to be a medium species within the genus with most maxing out at around 14" in total length.

Front right limb detail

Pre-shed tail detail

My female U. ornata, just starting to show a bit of color on the face and around the dewlap and shoulder area.

This is my sub-adult male U. o. philbyi, also known as Arabian Uromastyx named after its primary country of origin. This is a sub-species within the ornatus group which while sharing very similar genetic markers differs from U. ornata in size, coloration and patterning with most maxing out at around 10-11", although there are exceptions, possibly due to interbreeding with U. ornata. Their natural range includes a good portion of Saudi Arabia's west coast down through north western Yemen. Once fully mature, males sport an electric blue base color with a redish-orange dorsal coloration overlayed with well defined and varied light tan/cream spotting. Females, like most other species within the genus, generally end up being less colorful, with a light brown base color with hints of blue along the head through the flanks and tail and share the same irregular cream spotting.

And my sub-adult female...

Lastly is my unsexed Saharan (U. geyri) in pre-shed. As the common name implies, this species calls the Sahara desert and a few countries that border it their home, including Mali, Southern Algeria and mountainous regions within Niger. Like U. ornata they are a medium sized species with most reaching full length at 14". There are two phases, red/ornage and yellow, both of which are contrasted by black lacing throughout the entire dorsal side of body. Both phases are capable of very bright, almost neon coloration in both males and females, although females are more often than not far more drab in coloration.

In a couple months time they should all be fully shed, so I'll need to post updates then.
Thanks for looking!

Mar 09, 2013 at 05:59 PM
denis55
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Uromastyx

exceptional series mat!
your pets are very cute,and you did a great job on the photo-op.

Mar 09, 2013 at 09:13 PM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Uromastyx

And a handsome devil it is too, Matt. Wonderful set of images. Saw some similar species today at the Houston Zoo reptile house.

Kenny

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:08 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Uromastyx

Wonderful series- really does look like a small dinosaur
Brian v.

Mar 10, 2013 at 07:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

michael kilner
• • • • •