Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Dodge-Mitsubishi in the Arctic

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Dodge-Mitsubishi in the Arctic

Drove the Dalton Highway to Prudhoe Bay years ago. No trailer.
North of the Brooks Range, where the pic was taken, the arctic tundra was this flat- in every direction I looked.

Charlie Shugart 2013

Mar 09, 2013 at 05:29 PM
tom cardin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Dodge-Mitsubishi in the Arctic

That is really flat, and for me, it's scary, as there is nothing to keep you from falling off the edge. We live in the mountains and there is a sense of security. I don't know how to explain it. How far is it to the next place, for fuel?

Tom

Mar 09, 2013 at 05:33 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Dodge-Mitsubishi in the Arctic

tom cardin wrote:
That is really flat, and for me, it's scary, as there is nothing to keep you from falling off the edge. We live in the mountains and there is a sense of security. I don't know how to explain it. How far is it to the next place, for fuel?

Tom

I'm a westerner, Tom, so I love mountains also.
Often people from the American prairies get claustrophobic when surrounded by mountains.
It's a funny world.
When I drove the Dalton Highway (all dirt and crushed rock from north of Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay), there was one place (as I recall) along the way to buy gas or diesel. About the half-way mark at Coldfoot (corrected). That's approximately at the 250 milepost.
Funny thing, though: Prudhoe Bay was not a town and there were no public facilities at all. For fuel, I went to a company station and asked. Same thing for accommodations and restaurant.
I had no problem, but I sure was happy they weren't short on gasoline or food.
Funny also- the Alaska Pipeline sends crude oil south. Refined petroleum products had to be shipped to Prudhoe- at least back then.
Charlie

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:20 AM
alrac
• •
p.1 #4 · Dodge-Mitsubishi in the Arctic

You hear about the midwest prairies being flat, but they're not really, they're rolling hills all full of coulees and things. This is FLAT.

Is the screen on the front to keep the legendary giant mosquitoes from eating your radiator?

Mar 17, 2013 at 05:16 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Dodge-Mitsubishi in the Arctic

alrac wrote:
You hear about the midwest prairies being flat, but they're not really, they're rolling hills all full of coulees and things. This is FLAT.

Is the screen on the front to keep the legendary giant mosquitoes from eating your radiator?

Computer's been down .
The screen affixed to the front of my pickup is for the flying rocks that are thrown at you by passing cars and (EEGADS!) 18-wheelers when on crushed rock roads.
Northern mosquitoes are no bigger than their southern brethren; it's just that there are more places for them to breed in the northern swamps (tundra and muskegs).
The midwest is lovely and the people are the salt of the earth. But parts ARE pretty flat. Some years ago a scientific experiment was done at a major university: the results proved that Kansas IS flatter than a pancake .
Charlie

Mar 19, 2013 at 01:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Dodge-Mitsubishi in the Arctic

Love the perspective Charlie, with the road leading off into the horizon. Feels like it has motion.

G

Mar 19, 2013 at 04:02 AM
K mueller
• •
p.1 #7 · Dodge-Mitsubishi in the Arctic

You make it sound flat and desolate here...We do have the tallest peak in North America.

Mar 19, 2013 at 06:59 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Dodge-Mitsubishi in the Arctic

K mueller wrote:
You make it sound flat and desolate here...We do have the tallest peak in North America.

Thanks Greg and K mueller.
Well, this region of the arctic tundra Is super flat . That's why I took the pic .
In all my Alaska wanderings, it's the only large area I saw that WAS flat (except the ocean ).
I've posted hundreds of Alaska images on FM. and a major portion of them have been of your magnificent mountains, including Mt McKinley. (Most are posted on Landscapes Forum).
A fun bit of info: McKinley is not only the tallest mountain in North America- it's the tallest "surface" mountain in the world- almost 20,000 feet above its base.
Mt Everest is higher... but not taller .
And although Hawaii's Mauna Kea (or Mauna Loa) is taller, its base is way down below sea level .
Charlie

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM
K mueller
• •
p.1 #9 · Dodge-Mitsubishi in the Arctic

Just messin' with you Charlie. I happen to work in Prudhoe, so i look at the flat arctic tundra for a half a year. It may seem desolate, but there is quite an abundance of wildlife and gives great photo ops. I have seen and enjoy your work and posts on here.

Mar 21, 2013 at 06:25 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password